Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APPROVED ON 1ST TRY FOR CCP DISABILITY WOOOHOOOO!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APPROVED ON 1ST TRY FOR CCP DISABILITY WOOOHOOOO!!

GOt the best phone call ever this afternoon, got approved for CPP Disability on my first try!!!!! Best news I have had in a long long time! By the end of September I will have a lump sum backpayment for the past 15 months and then a monthly payment along with a payment for my daughter each month. Cant believe its happened. *(BTW, the nurse told me it was my family doctor's report that convinced them, not the idiot neuroligist who told me to just go home and accept the fact I would be in a wheelchair in 5 years but only listed me on the disability scale at a level 2)

Rushy aka Donna

Congrats Donna! It can be a pain to get for sure. I'm so happy for you! That must be a huge relief! Don't forget to apply for the disability tax credit too!!

Comment

Congrats Donna! Your story sounds exactly like mine. I hear such horror stories about applying for CPP and for me it went so smoothly. Good report from my GP was the key, too. Back payment was nice!
      Laurakim

Comment

The Government Sent Me Money?????

Donna,

How did you proceed? Given my condition (not in a wheelchair) I am uncertain of how I can convince them that I am disabled and would benefit from some support?

Do you think this is possible????

Thank You

Brian

Comment

CPP approval first try !!!!!!!!!!!!

After waiting five months I got a letter from Service Canada informing me that my application has been approved. That was a huge load off my mind as I heard so many horror stories about people being denied. I did get retro for the five month waiting period. I think thanks to the help of my great Nero and GP giving the right info it went well. I am still able to walk with the aid of a cane but only for short distance. Stressing the fatige that I have I think also helped out. Maybe because I was diagnosed in 94 and kept working at a very physical job until I couldn't do it anymore helped out as well. What ever you do give them as much helpful info as possible. Good luck to all who are going through this process.

Comment

CONGRATS!

doesn't it sound crazy when we're excited about being 'officially' disabled? i'm happy for you to get it so soon. it is a relief, i know.
            BRIAN- i don't how canada works, but in US it took me 3 yrs. & a group of lawyers who specialized in disability to get mine finally.
            i'm in a w/c off & on. had to work in w/c. was 'let go' 'cuz they cdn't afford me any longer. seemed liked a slamdunk to me, but was rejected 2x right off. work closely w/ your dr. too. it's their word that matters. pcp & neuro. w/out a letter from my neuro & him sending me to pt tests to give actual numbers to my ability of working i doubt i wd have ever gotten it w/out him & lawyers. yes, lawyers want their share, but it's better than not getting it at all.
            good luck, may God bless your efforts.
            "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Brian: It is key to have your GP especially give them an accurate account of how your daily life is affected by the MS. The rep who called me from CPP told me that my GP's report was instrumental in my getting the disability pension. Also be sure when filling out the forms, that you stress how the fatigue affects your every activity. I am not in a wheelchair either (except for flea market shopping) but use a cane regularly and a walker when I am feeling particularly weak. I was advised to make sure that I stressed the fatigue issue and it seemed to have worked.

Good Luck

Comment

curious about the back payment

Is the back payment for the time you waited for the application to be processed or does it go back to the last time you worked? I'm just beginning the application process and any extra help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

One other question if both the gp and neuro are supporting me do they both fill out a medical report? or does one just write a supporting letter? I too have no mobility issues and so I am a bit nervous, however I do experience tremendous fatigue as well as some cognitive deficits (in addition to the usual annoying symptoms).

**If there is an angel out there who's been approved willing to take me under their wing...I'd really appreciate a sounding board esp writing the self evaluation.

peace. and Happy 2010

Patricia
                Its a good day to be alive.

Comment

Back payment is from the date of total disability as certified by your doctor up to, I believe, four years. Have your doc write the date of total disability as the date you stopped working. To qualify you have to have been working for 4 of the past 6 years.

Make sure your doc says you can't do *anything* ever; no "can do this sometimes". Only one doc is needed to fill out the forms but include all of your doctors contact info. If they need more info from the other doctor they will contact him directly, thus saving you the costs to get the forms filled out.

Just answer all the questions thoroughly and as if every day is your worst MS day. Your GP likely sees you more so that would be the best choice of doc to fill out the forms. Be sure to stress that regardless of medication, the fatigue is such that you cannot carry out normal activities. Ever. If there's even a hint you could do something, they're likely to set you up with some back to work thing.

If you are approved, you will be allowed to work, though it's a piddly amount, so it's better to get approved first.

Just be sure to be thorough with your answers. If they need more info beyond what is on the form, they will request it, no worries! Good luck!

Comment

Thank you so much Sillygirl,

I appreciate your insight esp. your tip to use my "worst ms day" as the constant and your tip to stress that work is impossible due to the fatigue.

I likely wouldn't have done either, and I would have made the mistake of giving the form to my Nuero. Which in my personal situation I have a better relationship with the GP (not to happy with my neuro at St. Mikes)

OK I'm feeling a bit better now that I have a better idea of how to tackle it.

many thanks!! and for the luck too,
                    any bit helps.

peace.

Patricia.

Comment

Thank you so much Sillygirl,

I appreciate your insight esp. your tip to use my "worst ms day" as the constant and your tip to stress that work is impossible due to the fatigue.

I likely wouldn't have done either, and I would have made the mistake of giving the form to my Nuero. Which in my personal situation I have a better relationship with the GP (not to happy with my neuro at St. Mikes)

OK I'm feeling a bit better now that I have a better idea of how to tackle it.

many thanks!! and for the luck too,
                      any bit helps.

peace.

Patricia.

Comment

Miss Mellow: Having your GP (who knows you better) fill out the paperwork is a good idea.

Also the back pay is only calculated for 15 months back and then they take a 3 month "waiting period' off of that so you will only get back pay for 12 months of the time you havent been working.

Good Luck

Comment

Great news Rushy, I am so happy for you!!! My insurance company sent me as letter requesting that I apply for CCP Disability. I had to go to our local council of the disabled to get help filling out the form; I am really only a name and phone number kind of gal these days. Hard to believe at one time in my life I was a bookkeeper for a drugstore MS robs us of so much......

I am very happy to hear everyone's opinions on who should fill out the paperwork as well. I had no intention of letting my nuero do it because when he filled out my form for our provincial MS 'thingy', lol, that would pay for my drugs, they rejected me due to the way he answered 1 question. Luckily I HAVE insurance but had I not, what then?

Very glad we have our own little Canadian corner here although not busy it helps with certain discussions like this one

Hugs
                          Barb
                          Come play on MY Island....

I thought all I had was CRS and have now been told MS

Comment

Congratulations! Great news! How do you spell relief? I am feeling so happy for you! What a beautiful blessing!

Hugs and love
                            Karen
                            "Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it." ~~Rumi

Comment

CCP eh?

Well I am glad for you but in my case I'm doing whatever I can NOT to be on a disability pension. It just doesn't cover my expenses! I looked into it and found I would need to sell my home, lose just about all my wife and I have worked for, and move into some type of subsidized housing.
                              My CCP would have been around $900.00 a month.....ouch!
                              I truly am glad for you, but as long as I can still be gainfully employed, I don't care if it's selling movie tickets at a theatre, I'm not going down that road, I'd lose everything!
                              I really hope it works out for you, I know that in some circumstances there just is no other way!

All the best!
                              Hughbie

Comment

Working...
                              X