What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished: "Two Old Women" by Velma Wallis who is an Alaskan Athabascan

This is a short, easy couple of hours read about an Alaskan Athabascan legend of two elderly woman who were left behind by "The People" when they were deemed too old and helpless to be of use. They found forgotten courage and strength and survived the brutal Artic winter.

The book was given to me by my niece who purchased it in Alaska.

Also just finished: "Border Healing Woman" The story of Jewel Babb as told to Pat Ellis Taylor.

About an elderly Anglo woman living in the desert region near El Paso, TX and the Mexican border who became known for healing people with what she called "mind healing" and "zone therapy".

This book was given to me by my 92 year old Mom who wrote a note by one of the photos of Mrs. Babb saying "Isn't this a beautiful face? I just think she is so sincere and gentle." Beautiful photos throughout the book.

Currently reading: "Growing Pains" the autobiograpy of Emily Carr who was/is a legendary Canadian artist and writer.

Found this at a small gift shop on my last venture up to Vancouver, B.C. at the Granville Island Market.

Hmmmm.....I just noticed a link between all my latest reads. They are all about strong, determined women with the first two being given to me by very strong, determined women! Think there might be something going on here??
    Let's all keep smiling and confuse the world,
    Roma

Comment

Dean Koontz

I am nearly finished reading Icebound, an early Dean Koontz that I seem to have missed until now. I thought I had read (and reread some) all of his books.

It starts out a little slow but picks up eventually, and I think it is worth a try.
      MaryAnn

MS diagnosed 1989

Comment

I was told by someone to read something called "Kite Runner" I am also gonna re-read my Harry Potter books because I am a HUGE Potter fan. I'm a 36 yr old female and there are those that say I am nuts!!!
        BECCA
        Dx'd: 4/5/99 RRMS,TYSABRI STARTED 9/06
        MY MS IS DOING VERY BADLY!!!
        I AM HAVING ALOT OF DIFFICULTY ACCEPTING THIS, TOO MUCH!!!:

Comment

LOVED the Kite Runnner. A look into a world many of us are unfamiliar with. Read it for my book club and provoked great discussion.

Listened to HP. i don't think they are only for kids at all
          wendy

Comment

can't wait til I get my "Kite Runner", I love reading, even before the MS. I have always been an avid reader. Besides rereading my HP books, I think I may also RE-read my LOR books and my Chronicles of Narnia books.
            BECCA

Comment

Our book club just finished THE LOVELY BONES. We thought it was pretty good, but heavy. Now were onto THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN. I've heard it was good. jolie

Comment

At Ceci's urging ~ I am reading Michael J. Fox's book LUCKY MAN!!!

Just started it....so far, so good.....

Comment

I read Michel J Fox's "Lucky Man" when it first came out. It is a GREAT book
                  BECCA

Comment

I just got an email notice from the library that my reserve copy of Lucky Man is ready to be picked up. Will read it this weekend. Will it make me cry? I'm a big crybaby. Better pick up some tissues while I'm out.

I was on a plane listening to "Tuesdays with Morrie". I was sitting there so into the narration that I didn't realize I was sniffling and blubbering like a hired mourner at a funeral. The businessman next to me finally got my attention when he took my hand and said, "There now, the flight is smooth, you're safe, the pilot is a friend of mine." What??? Oh geez, he thought I was afraid of flying. I had to tell him I was listening to this really good book and was caught up in the storyline. He apologized for bothering me. Told him not a bother at all, he earned a little gold star on his "good deed for the day report card" his angel's keeping for him.

Comment

No, "Lucky Man" shouldn't make you cry BUT everyone has their point to cry. Another good book was "Blindsided" by Richard Cohen (Meredith Viera's hubby" AND OF COURSE, all of Montel's books.
                      BECCA

Comment

Yes, I read those you mentioned. Also ready the Squiggy book. I just finished John Stossel's (the 20/20 journalist) book; very interesting.

Comment

How about "Wicked" or the "9/11 Commission Report"???
                          BECCA

Comment

Originally posted by jolie
                            Our book club just finished THE LOVELY BONES. We thought it was pretty good, but heavy. Now were onto THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN. I've heard it was good. jolie
                            I read Lovely Bones awhile ago...did it strike any of you that a couple of recent cases where young girls were abducted and kept in underground"holes" almost sounded like the creeps might have reaqd this book too?

Comment

Oh My Gosh.........sat down this afternoon and whipped through For One More Day by Mitch Albom....He wrote Tuesdays with Maurie and the 5 People You Meet in Heaven.

I have to say it's his best one yet. I loved the story and it is sooo thought provoking. Who would you want one more day with? Our local newspaper had a big 3 page article with letters from people about who they would want to spend one more day with and what they would do. Talk about tear jerking.

Anyway.......it's a quick easy read and sooooo good. Read it NOW.....jan
                              God only promises a safe landing, not a calm passage

If you stumble, make it part of your dance

Comment

I wish I had the concentration and patience. I have always been an avid reader, but lately it is getting harder for me to sit & concentrate. Reading is also putting me to sleep and it never did that before.
                                BECCA

Comment

Working...
                                X