No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ooo, that one was at the center of a huge controversy. I didn't read it but there has been a lot of coverage about how he manipulated/combined/fictionalized and "forrest gumped" a lot of actual events to include himself.

There was a great article about it on The Smoking Gun, a website that exposes dirtbags.
    Hey Cindy... I remember I hadn't heard of the book, and one night I watched as Oprah called on Larry King and defended the book passionately, and then I just had to go out and buy it... and then before I bought the book, I watched on Oprah as she was extremely upset after the Smoking Gun report... and then again I just had to read the book to see what all the hype was about... Good book no doubt, and I would think to look past the memoir thing and still read the book.

Comment

Reading now

I forgot to mention another book, "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. I love this book and actually read it twice. She won awards for this book and after reading it, you will see why.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me. --Erma Bombeck

Comment

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon (for the third or fourth time, I love this series!), and Unsettled; an Anthropology of the Jews by Melvin Konner. I try to have one fiction and one nonfiction going all the time.
        MaryAnn

MS diagnosed 1989

Comment

Liz,

I'm just getting ready to ready The Secret Life of Bees. My sister is loaning it to me...she LOVED it!
          Danielle
          Dx'd April, 2006
          Started Rebif mid- April 2006

Comment

Secret Life

Originally posted by danielledalton
            Liz,

I'm just getting ready to ready The Secret Life of Bees. My sister is loaning it to me...she LOVED it!
            It is right at the top of my favorite all time books. Hope you like it, too!

Liz
            When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me. --Erma Bombeck

Comment

I'm currently reading a couple - The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Greggory and Pillars of the Earth - Ack! Can't remember the author!

Sara

Comment

I just finished "Eat, Pray, Love," nonfiction by Elizabeth Gilbert. I LOVED it. Funny, brilliant, sometimes dark, and ultimately uplifting.

Rachel

Comment

I'm reading a guilty pleasure...an EASY read..."The Devil Wears Prada" by Lauren Weisberger.

It's laugh out loud funny! I usually read non-fiction stuff, but this was just too "media-ized" to pass up!

Comment

I just finished Joan Didion's A year of Magical Thinking and wow, did that make me think.

It's non-fiction about her husband dying at home at dinner while her only child has recently been hospitalized and things didn't look too good for the daughter either.

Joan has MS but it is never mentioned in the book. The book is both memories of her family and life and her thinking during the year after her husband died. She does some things to try to keep hope alive, such as not throwing out his work shoes because he would need them when he came back.

It truly was eye opening for me to read about someone undergoing the process of mourning and grief.

The other non-fiction I have right now is called Love my Rifle More than You, forgot the author, but she is writing about what it is like to be female in the US Army and being deployed to Iraq during war time. It is gritty in a different way; she is very open about the way most men see women in the military: as a witch with a "B" or a slut.

It's interesting because I have dated many military men and have military in my family, including my sister who is a 2LT (2nd Lieutenant) in the Army.

I am heading to the library to look for something else today.

I also ADORE The Secret Life of Bees!
                    Weeble
                    Dx RRMS 12/05, RNY Gastric Bypass 12/12, NASH Cirrhosis 12/12, JCV+ 9/13

Copaxone started 12/05, Switched to Rebif 11/07, Tysabri 10/08-9/13, Moved to Tecfidera 12/1/13

Comment

Tales of the Otori

A trilogy by Lian Hearn (Across the Nightingale Floor, Grass for his Pillow, and Brilliance of the Moon) Amazon link ***You cannot post a link like that per MSWorld guidelines***
                      Haven't been able to stop reading since I picked the first book up four days ago. Am almost done the third now, and have found them extremely enjoyable and well crafted. Detailed but with a quick pace, and egaging characters. It's been a welcome escape when needed. Great Books.

My wifes family are very much into Young Adult Fiction, and it would seem to have rubbed off. ... a couple notables that i've enjoyed recently, likely old news to most, but still...

A trilogy by Philipm Pulman (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass) Amazon link ***link removed per MSWorld Guidelines***
                      A very enjoyable series. Fantasy akin in spirit to the Harry Potter series, and equally as enjoyable.
                      I've also been enjoying Louis L'Amours Hopalong Cassidy books (bit of a guilty pleasure)
                      Ah, Love! could thou and I with Fate conspire
                      To grasp this sorry Scheme of Things entire!
                      Would not we shatter it to bits-and then
                      Re-mould it nearer to the Heart's Desire!
                      -ok

Comment

I'm just finishing listening to Dreaming: Hard Luck and Good Times in America by Carolyn See (1995). It's autobiographical.

I'm eager for the book to end....

Comment

I am reading Still Me by Christopher Reeve. I like him tremendously. What breaks my heart, though, is the knowledge that these two wonderful people--both C.R. and his wife, Dana, are dead.

What I admire most is his story of how he became an advocate for people w/ spinal cord injuries. It reminds me of Michael J. Fox's story of how he was inspired to use his fame to help others in the same situation.

McGill31, I've read Elizabeth Gilbert before: The Last American Man, about a guy who just says "no more society for me" and moves into the woods for good. I'll have to have a look at Eat, Pray, Love!
                          Lucy

*diagnosed RRMS Aug. 31, 2005
                          *on Betaseron since Oct. 6, 2005

"Let the beauty we love be what we do."
                          --Rumi

Comment

I found some of the Rita Mae Brown books she co-wrote with her cat Sneaky Pie and am trying to catch up with them. I haven't found many of them yet and being as I love Lillian Jackson Braun's Koko and Yum Yum I find T Tucker, Pewter and the other cat, who's name escapes me right now, very enjoyable.

Comment

I'm in the middle of reading The Breakdown Lane by Jacqueline Mitchard. She has MS and her husband is leaving her slowly. The whole family seems like they have Attention Deficit Disorder but it's moving right along.

Before that I read The Mermaid's Chair by Sue Monk Kidd - but didn't like it as much as The Secret Life of Bees.

Comment

Breakdown Lane, etc.

I read the Breakdown Lane to write a book review for MSWorld. It is posted under resources/book_reviews. I had a hard time getting through the book but it was interesting. I just finished the Mermaid Chair and was supremely disappointed after reading The Secret Life of Bees twice. I'm going for a good mystery next. I head to the library tomorrow. Will look up the authors you all have mentioned in here.

Liz

Comment

Working...
                                X