No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge, M.D.

I'm also hoping to read his latest release, "The Brain That Heals Itself."
    Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
    UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

I just started Nora Roberts The Collector

I am always reading something

Shoo
      Shoo

Comment

Mamabug

I saw you read a book on the Amish, do you remember who the author was?

Last year my husband had bought me a triology on Amish sisters really good and I know the author has written more books on the Amish, but I can't recall her name I think her first name was Beverly

Thank you

Shoo
        Shoo

Comment

Hi Shoo~
          Beverly Lewis!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Shoo --
            The author of Rachel's Secret -- The Riverhaven Years is B.J. Hoff. Beverly Lewis has also written lots of Amish books, but not the one that I listed in post #494 on this thread http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?48421-What-are-you-reading-now&p=1386667#post1386667. It is no longer available free as a Kindle book though.

Here was my original post on 10-12-2012:
            Recently finished:
            Rebooting My Brain: How a Freak Accident Reframed My Life. It's a true story; I could relate to some of the recovery issues that were faced by the author.

Am now reading: Rachel's Secret: The Riverhaven Years. A fiction book set in an Amish community.

Got both of these e-books free from amazon.com.

~ Faith
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you Seasha and Mamabug I thought of Beverly last name after I posted this

I'm going to check the other author out Mamabug

Shoo
              Shoo

Comment

Book three of the Passage Series by Justin Cronin just came out so I am re-reading book #1 now "The Passage"
                Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Audiobook

Currently I am listening to Spicy Chocolate: Book 3 of the Alcott Family Adventures by. Dawn Greenfield Ireland.

Comment

Both of the books I'm reading now are for information, rather than entertainment.
                    1. The Daniel Plan -- 40 days to a healthier life
                    - I'm a part of an In.form health maintenance group that is studying this.

2. The Wahl protocol
                    - I started reading it on the advice of Dr G. I'm not terribly interested. So much of the info is stuff I already know. So, I might just read the Wahl's Warrior sections to see if they will encourage and motivate me.
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hello everyone

Hello everyone. I’m an old member of MSWorld. I was posting frequently starting about 2002 or so. I’ve been reading posts and also playing games in the arcade recently. I belong to a book club now and I really enjoy it. I like socializing with our group and sometimes I like the books we read. We’re currently reading “The Library at the Edge of the World.” I lost interest at page 60 but I’ll still go to the gathering to share snacks and conversation. I’m reading another book on my Kindle, “The Keepers of the House” by Shirley Ann Grau. It won the Pulitzer Prize. It’s easier for me to read on the Kindle PaperWhite because I can prop it on the nightstand. I look forward to hearing about the books you’re reading.
                      Take care, Wiz
                      RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Hi wiz (ewizabeth),
                        I'm an old member here too but in recent years have stayed on only in a couple of threads.

I'm just finishing book 4 of the Neapolitan novels by Elena Ferrante, the one called "The Lost Child." I have found this story absorbing from beginning to end and I understand that it is said to be based on the author's life, in a way.

It's about two women who grew up together in Naples between the late 1940s and the present. The four volumes take them into their old age. One of them had a chance to become educated but the other, just as capable and maybe more so, didn't get that chance. It's an interesting comparison of two different lives that keep intersecting over the decades.
                        MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

Wanted to add this NF title since I quoted the author in a recent thread.

Viktor Frankl / MAN'S SEARCH FOR MEANING: An introduction to Logotherapy

The book focuses on the meaning of human existence as well as on man's search for meaning. It is eye opening in many ways and worth the time invested.

Comment

I'm reading "Skinny Legs and All"

I'm reading "Skinny Legs and All"... having read it first about 25 years ago.
                            RRMS: dx:March '07. Started CombiRx June 2007 - Avonex or Copaxone or Both; Study unblinded Nov.2011 - have been on only Copaxone.
                            "e lascia pur grattar dov'e la rogna" (Dante "Divine Comedy")

Comment

"No One Wants You" by Celine Roberts

Comment

I'm not a particular fan of romance novels, but given the current circumstances I pulled out an old favorite: "Morning Glory" by Lavyrle Spencer.

It’s set in Georgia just before the start of WWII. She’s a pregnant widow with 2 small children, living on a run-down farm outside the town that calls her “Crazy Elly”. He grew up an orphan, is fresh out of Huntsville for a manslaughter charge, and gets fired from his latest job because of it. He’s only intending to do some work in exchange for food, but within a couple months they realize that they’re happy together and get married at the local courthouse.

The basic premise is just two lonely people who’ve never received much in the way of love, now working together to build a home and finally share their feelings. Will joins the Marines, comes home a wounded hero, and then they face the most trying period of their lives when he’s charged with murder.

I like it because the book explains why they don't trust people and shows their relationship developing over time.

Comment

Working...
                                X