The Goalposters Exercise Check-in for 09-24-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in for 09-24-2020

Am I the only one who checked in last week? Or am I looking the wrong place?

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made goals

Silver Sneakers at rec center 1x
    Chair yoga at senior center 1x
    Strong seniors at senior center 1x
    PT at home 1x
    1 tandem bike ride with hubby

Average steps per day = 1311

I improved over last week. Got back to my group exercises after visitors were gone. Did a few more steps.

Goal next week. Continue to improve.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Here's the check in from last week- https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...-in-09-17-2020

Need to see a friend in palliative care, but will check in later.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Good to hear about your improvements, Mamabug and good job

I had an incredibly busy week and feel like I'm paying for it now. ugh Fall harvest 3x/week left me no time to rest. Been doing some juicing and canning as well. With all that and cooking a full meal each evening, I was exhausted at days end! Slept well, though.

I also babysat once (3 hrs) and once we had some rain bringing cleaner air, I was inside doing much needed housework. Walked while grocery shopping too. Think it's time for me to start using those motorized store scooters.

My goal for next week is to take it easier! Seriously. But grateful that I did what I could.
        Keep it up goalposters

Comment

Accomplished Goals

Hi everyone

Excellent job exercising, and getting much physical activity from working, Mamabug and Seasha! Hope you get rested up, Seasha.

~ I was able to accomplish my exercise goals, and they went well.

A few small victories with my physical abilities made for a much better week, and much needed confidence booster.

Taking a little time for some meditation and breathing techniques pays off remarkably well.

I'm going to stay the course for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

"Be strong and of good courage, be not afraid nor dismayed..." Joshua 1:9
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi everyone!

Seeing Mamabug with lots of x's throughout the week... and step counting also... back to the old days. Nice to see.

And Seasha! you still amaze me at what you do. I'm envious of the "slept well!"

KoKo, I'm happy that you're building confidence. Blessings are manifold when we're at peace with ourselves.

My week went pretty well. The 6 days of 30 minute morning stretch routine was improved over the last 2 or 3 weeks. Made a conscious effort to mentally go through what I'm about to do, then beginning routines with slowly holding the pose. Be happy with what your body gives you. I got smoother stretching.

Core stuff continues to go well. Trainer added some stuff and I responded well. KoKo's confidence builder.

Cardio stuff well also but still off my old times.

Right arm strength & grip pretty good. Right leg & walking worse, yet on cardio equipment - no problem, treadmill included!?

It's good to assemble my thoughts and relay them. Keeps me in the game. Thanks for being there guys!

Comment

Good solid efforts, Jer and KoKo!

Slow and steady wins the race (said the Tortoise to the Hare)

Except we're not in a race, unless you count racing against more progression!

Comment

Hello Jer!

Looks like you had workouts that were effortful, productive, and mostly satisfying, Jer! May your trainer be blessed as well.

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                Right leg & walking worse, yet on cardio equipment - no problem, treadmill included!?
                Do you hold the handrails while on the treadmill? If so, that would explain the better walking outcome. The support makes it easier. If not, then it's a mystery to me too.

Made a conscious effort to mentally go through what I'm about to do, then beginning routines with slowly holding the pose.
                I understand what you're saying, Jer.

I have found that the 'thinking through' strategy is essential for me at times. When I began having trouble during sit-to-stand, I found that I need to not only visualize, but also actually tell (sometimes in a whisper, sometimes out loud) my legs/knees to push and straighten during lift-off.

It's good to assemble my thoughts and relay them. Keeps me in the game. Thanks for being there guys!
                Ditto! Staying in the game!
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Solid work from everyone. That's really great to see.

Put me down for a partial....

2 nights of Jiu Jitsu.......done
                  2 runs @3 miles each......nope
                  stretch sessions....got 1 in

8277K step per day avg

Keep it going.
                  The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                    Solid work from everyone. That's really great to see.

8277K step per day avg

Keep it going.
                    Your partial is still impressive, B!

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post

8277K step per day avg
                      Great to see that you accomplished your partial goals, Boudreaux, including a stretch session.

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux

Glad you got some stretches in Mike!

I've been having good weeks lately doing stretch routines, although the ROM achievements aren't as lasting as I would like.

Upper or lower body strength routines apparently undo any ROM gained... and muscles resume spasticity.

My philosophy is that keeping at it (gently) will, over time, extend both flexibility and strength.

We'll see! Solid effort Boudreaux!

Comment

Working...
                        X