World Atlas of MS 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Atlas of MS 2020

Interesting info and world map of the incidence and prevalence of MS.

https://www.atlasofms.org/map/global...people-with-ms
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Very interesting, KoKo! This is, of course, is the reporting. I wonder if some of these countries, like
    China or Russia, have withheld information or the data is lacking and there is not the same criteria in place as other countries have for reporting. ??

Looks like North America leads the way ....whoopee!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      This is, of course, is the reporting. I wonder if some of these countries, like China or Russia, have withheld information or the data is lacking and there is not the same criteria in place as other countries have for reporting. ??
      Seasha, I understand what you're saying. China and Russia do have (outside?) advisors/collaborators listed as gathering info for this project.

"The Atlas of MS relies on extensive collaboration and support from MS organisations, clinicians, researchers, people affected by MS and other experts from around the world."

https://www.atlasofms.org/collaborat...knowledgements
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        I wonder if some of these countries, like China or Russia, have withheld information or the data is lacking
        Some factors to consider:

China has "traditional Chinese medicine" (TCM) which is thousands of years older than western medicine and which huge numbers of Chinese have faith in. Those with faith in TCM are going to approach MS/neurological problems in very different ways.

Parts of China are also tropical climates. We know that MS doesn't appear in tropical countries in the numbers it appears in more northern latitudes.

There appears to be a connection to vitamin D/sunlight and MS and one has to wonder if countries with cultures that spend more time outdoors will have lower rates of MS. Similarly, many think processed foods and our "industrial" agriculture and pesticides and chemicals used in food may play a factor in MS. If so, then countries with more natural or less processed food may have lower rates.

But given the difficulty in diagnosing MS, a country with a less-developed medical system will likely discover fewer cases of MS -- no need for a gov't to hide anything.
        59M / RRMS / Dx1987 / Ocrevus

Comment

Working...
        X