Goalposters Exercise Check In. 9-10-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goalposters Exercise Check In. 9-10-2020

Mamabug is enjoying company this week, so....

5 checked in last week, some met goals, some made partials, all punched in.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Thanks B for starting this. I'm sure Mamabug is occupied in a good way!

I made my goal with babysitting outside twice (helped me get over my funk as of late)

Lots of harvesting in garden, stocking up for winter. Started cleaning up garden and flower beds.

Good energy for all this week!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      Good energy for all this week!

Good to hear Seasha! Sorry the conditions out West are not very conducive to harvesting. First masks, what next... oxygen? Stay safe.

Thanks Boudreaux for grabbing the lead for Mamabug, I'm sure she's got the company to keep her moving. How was your week?

My week had a lot of twists & turns but was upbeat regardless of achieving only partial goals.

With trainer on holiday and Monday - Labor Day, I managed only 2 solo sessions at gym, but gave a good effort. Arm and leg work on both days with arm abilities (ROM) better than I expected. Strength so-so, but my grip on both days was pretty good. Smilin’ as I poke keys! Leg stuff fine too. I made a point to watch trainer’s weight choices last week, so I was inside her parameters. Wishing I could say that the walking was improved but just can't.

Also, had a good week stretching. The usual 30 minutes a day x 6 days. Didn’t mention that last week was not very good, I put in the time but muscle spasticity was not giving me any slack. This week… better. Take what I get.

Side notes: Unexpected visit of a friend from FL. She had a wake but found time for a nice dinner. This too effected my workout routine but I’m counting the mental lift & “shifting gears” aspect of her visit as exercise. I think the ability to stop, change course (physical to mental), then maintain the willpower to pick-up where I was physically as a good thing.

Too often the MS dictates my time. In this instance I adjusted, on-the-fly so to speak, and was able to resume without mental or physical downtime.

Yeah, happy camper. Keep it moving everyone.

Comment

Seems like you're recovering from that fall nicely Seasha. That gardening takes a lot of dedication, glad to see you still taking care of business.

Another solid week Jerry. Even though you only made partial goals, it looks like you stayed busy. A nice dinner with an old friend, good times....

I made partial goals as well.

2 nights of Jiu Jitsu.....done
        2 runs at 3 miles each......done
        3 walks with my lady for 6.6 miles total
        Average daily step count of 10.7k
        I averaged 8 hours and 50 minutes of sleep a night.

I again failed to get any stretching in so I need to make it a point to get that done. Keep it going.

Comment

Great workouts Jer and Boudreaux - You two amaze me!

I made partial goals as well.

You call this a partial goal? Whew~~~

Comment

Only because its not what I wanted to get done Seasha. I may be living in fantasy land but I know there is down time I could be capitalizing on. I did enjoy that 8 hour 50 minute average daily sleep though.

Comment

Hello everyone

I made my goal with babysitting outside twice (helped me get over my funk as of late)

Lots of harvesting in garden, stocking up for winter. Started cleaning up garden and flower beds.
              That's what I call very productive workouts, Seasha. Fantastic!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
              Arm and leg work on both days with arm abilities (ROM) better than I expected. Strength so-so, but my grip on both days was pretty good. Smilin’ as I poke keys! Leg stuff fine too. I made a point to watch trainer’s weight choices last week, so I was inside her parameters. Wishing I could say that the walking was improved but just can't.

Also, had a good week stretching. The usual 30 minutes a day x 6 days. Didn’t mention that last week was not very good, I put in the time but muscle spasticity was not giving me any slack. This week… better. Take what I get.
              You had terrific workouts, Jer! Glad for you that arm ROM, leg work, and strength work went well. Stretching with less spasticity is always welcome, as is less spasticity from stretching.

I understand the 'shifting gears' description of your unexpected visit from your friend. I sometimes find it a little disconcerting to suddenly have to change course mentally as well, even if it is a wonderful, enjoyable occurrence that pops up. Good for you that you ultimately received a mental lift and had a nice time!

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
              I averaged 8 hours and 50 minutes of sleep a night.

I again failed to get any stretching in so I need to make it a point to get that done. Keep it going.
              Looks to me like a super exercise effort by you Boudreaux!

I can understand your taking it easy on the stretching, if you don't suffer from spasticity. But if you do, well then, I concur with your 'make it a point to get that done'.

~ I had a very nice week, for the most part, and accomplished my exercise goals.

I did need a little extra help again this week, which I can't really say that I am thrilled about. (Don't ya know that I want everything to go easy and smooth, all the time?) C'est la vie, living with MS.

My exercising went very well, and I put extra focus on my leg stretches and breathing techniques. I really am getting some tangible benefits, thank goodness.

Sticking with the same goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

Wishing everyone the serenity to accept the things we cannot change.
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux;1527389I
                averaged 8 hours and 50 minutes of sleep a night.

This amazes me B! You only made partial goals... imagine if you made ALL goals... you might be hitting double digits! Side note; I'm gettin a bit better with the shut-eye, wondering if cooler weather has some effect? Hmmm

Thanks for the morale boost Seasha, and KoKo ("I sometimes find it a little disconcerting to suddenly have to change course mentally as well..."). A minor distraction at times takes my focus away. Getting back to the task at hand... well, exercise may just increase will power...? Can't hurt, right?

Oh, And KoKo .... "I want everything to go easy and smooth all the time!" There isn't a soul breathing that could argue, MS or not.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                  A minor distraction at times takes my focus away. Getting back to the task at hand... well, exercise may just increase will power...? Can't hurt, right?
                  Jer, your question is interesting, so I did some exploring.

Lo and behold, I found an entire article about 'The Incredible Effect of Exercise on Your Willpower'.

The benefits of consistent exercise are many - psychological, emotional, and physical.
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

9-10 to 9-16

I'm back. Didn't set goals, but here's what last week looked like.

Guests left on Saturday, but I've been mostly relaxing since then. I still need to catch up on reading at MSWorld to see what I missed, including this thread.

- Silver Sneakers at rec center 1x (last week, before guests arrived)
                    - tandem bike ride with my hubby last week before they arrived. Probably about a mile.
                    - While they were here, just activity with grandsons. Getting up and down off of floor, etc. And, my steps increased while they were here.

Average steps per day: 1786 steps.
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Welcome back, Mamabug!

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                      - While they were here, just activity with grandsons. Getting up and down off of floor, etc. And, my steps increased while they were here.

Average steps per day: 1786 steps.
                      Your grandsons kept you moving!

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                        My exercising went very well, and I put extra focus on my leg stretches and breathing techniques. I really am getting some tangible benefits, thank goodness.
                        So good to hear you are reaping benefits, KoKo! I find the stretching helps me tremendously with spasticity.

Good job!

And you too, Mamabug, especially with your step count! I know firsthand that being with little ones takes a lot of effort and energy

Comment

So good to hear you are reaping benefits, KoKo! I find the stretching helps me tremendously with spasticity.

Good job!
                          Thank you Seasha!

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                            ~ I had a very nice week, for the most part, and accomplished my exercise goals.
                            Nice work.

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                            I'm back.
                            Awesome, I trust you enjoyed your company.

Great to hear from everyone, you guys are an inspiration!

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                              Nice work.
                              Thank you Boudreaux!

Fingers crossed that the storm takes it easy on you and your family (and everyone else, for that matter).

Comment

Working...
                              X