Childbirth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Childbirth

That was thirty-five years ago but it just occurred to me that MS could have affected my ability to perform the event.

I was starting to go into labor on Christmas Eve. All night I was awake with contractions. We went to the hospital first thing on Christmas morning. By the time we got there I was in full blown labor. The contractions kept going on for hours but I never dilated. Finally, by midnight doctor said we were going to have to do a C.

As I think back when my body was starting to get MS, I wonder if this was the beginning. The first obvious symptom was a neurogenic bladder accompanied by other symptoms in that area. The way the urologist explained the way all the nerves have work in a synchronized manner to perform these functions it seems logical that there could be a relationship.

That was 35 years ago and I gave birth to an athletic 8 1/2lb boy but he recently asked me why he had a C. He just learned that C-Section babies have lowered immune system es.

It got me thinking, could that have been one of the first signs of MS?

I had problems delivering both of mine because I never developed normal contractions to push them out. I've often thought in recent years that it was because of the (as yet undiagnosed) MS.

Comment

So there is no confusion for others reading this thread; there is no evidence MS affects the ability of the birthing process. I had 2 C-sections after my diagnosis of MS. the reason for the C-sections had nothing to do with MS but, the the structure of my body to do so. I had no problems "trying" to deliver naturally.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Li...alth/Pregnancy
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I had my daughter in 2016 and i was officially diagnosed in 2018. Water broke at 3am, started contractions at 11am. They thought for sure it would be a day before i had her however I dilated very quickly and finally had the epidermal in time to push later in the day. body stayed in shock for three days where i sat in the hospital staring at everyone and felt like i wasn't present. family was concerned because they thought i didn't look well. I just felt like an outer body experience. Couldn't eat, barely spoke, couldn't feel anything. Just numbness over my entire body. Looking back i think for sure my body reacted the way it did due to MS although i wasn't officially diagnosed until 2 years later. Just didn't seem normal reaction after giving birth (from what i hear).
        Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
        Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

Since MS affects different things in different people we can’t generalize. But it sounds like there may be some correlation. At least it doesn’t affect our ability to conceive and probably not the health of the fetus.

We just need a little help getting it out. I don’t think it has anything to do with willingness to have natural childbirth. I was willing.

Comment

Working...
          X