MS & Isolation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS & Isolation

Of course things are compounded due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but how do you cope with the isolation of living with MS? I live alone and have no family or friends in the area. After 25+ years, I am on SSDI, and am mostly home bound (fatigue, cognitive issues, low vision, etc.).

Lately, I've been struggling to try and "stay positive" and to "count my blessings" my usual "self-care coping tricks" but again I'm still struggling. What helps you during these tough times?

Again, I'm turning here, to MS World, for some additional coping mechanisms. Can you help me turn the "titanic around" please.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

I don't know what to tell you about coping. I've been alone for 2 years. My husband died in 2018 after several years of illnesses. I was his caregiver, except for driving him around. I haven't been able to drive out of our small town for several years. Anyway, I was somewhat "relieved" when he passed because it was so difficult for me to take care of him. So I've become used to being alone and Covid is not really affecting me. I read when I want to. I watch tv when I want to. I do a little grocery shopping when I need to. I live near all the necessities. And my kids help if and when I ask for help.

So I'm sure I am no help to you. Just wanted you to know you are not entirely alone in this. Listen to your body. Rest when you feel the need to rest. We're all doing the best we can, right?
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I am sorry you are struggling right now. It is a hard time to be alone. Have you considered any groups, whether MS support or something that interests you(history, hobby, sports) that may meet virtually?

I take comfort in church, attending service virtually. I also keep a gratitude journal and a journal of quotes. When I struggle to feel grateful or am just down, even if I can't add to them, just reading both of these helps to lift my spirits. I also try to stay away from news and any negative people/sites, etc...

Hopefully some more folks have ideas for you. Please feel free to post away!
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I've started a new thing a few months back, puzzles. Start off with a 500 piece then go for a 1000 piece. They make puzzle mats so you can actually store a partially assembled puzzle and not have it taking up your entire kitchen table. The puzzles are in expensive and are a great brain exercise.
        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

With COVID the poker games that my husband went to were put on-line. I never went with him for the in-person ones because they end late but I'm really liking the on-line version. When it's not that specific group I go on and play people from all over the world. The chips are free, the prizes are more free chips and it's a lot of fun.

I also like Scrabble on-line and occasionally play others such as Cribbage, Euchre, Backgammon, Chess... you name it, it's probably on-line.

Once you play regularly you start to see regulars and know who you like to play with. It's fun (I'm pretty competitive), free and makes you use your brain a lot.

Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
          X