TMS update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TMS update

Hello - I am trying transcranial magnetic stimulation. I went through severe depression and thyroid issues that left me completely fatigued with no interest in doing anything. Before I began I had to lower my wellbutrin dose and I moved my lamictal dose to evening. The wellbutrin can increase risk of seizure.

I'm surprised at how much better I feel. It's been a few weeks now and I am doing more at home at getting out every day, mainly because I go for treatment but I usually go somewhere else afterwards.

The treatment doesn't feel great at first but you get used to it. It goes for 20 minutes a day. I just put on some music to distract me.

I've tried ect in the past which helped with a psychotic episode but did little for depression. I would never do it again because it's much more disruptive with memory side effects and tms seems to be more effective but I'll have to see how long it lasts.

I still have weeks to go but I would happy if I just managed to maintain this level of feeling okay.

Originally posted by sardi_g View Post
    Hello - I am trying transcranial magnetic stimulation. I went through severe depression and thyroid issues that left me completely fatigued with no interest in doing anything. Before I began I had to lower my wellbutrin dose and I moved my lamictal dose to evening. The wellbutrin can increase risk of seizure.

I'm surprised at how much better I feel. It's been a few weeks now and I am doing more at home at getting out every day, mainly because I go for treatment but I usually go somewhere else afterwards.

The treatment doesn't feel great at first but you get used to it. It goes for 20 minutes a day. I just put on some music to distract me.

I've tried ect in the past which helped with a psychotic episode but did little for depression. I would never do it again because it's much more disruptive with memory side effects and tms seems to be more effective but I'll have to see how long it lasts.

I still have weeks to go but I would happy if I just managed to maintain this level of feeling okay.
    Hi sardi g ~

Glad to know that the TMS treatment seems to be helping you to feel better.

I hope that you continue to have success with it.

If you don't mind my asking (just curious), is there an endpoint, or limit to the number of treatments?

PS - When ready, we look forward to you getting back to our Goalposters exercise group.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi sardi_g! So glad to hear from you and that you've found a therapy that works for you!

For those who are unfamiliar with this technique and might also benefit from it, here is a link that explains how it works, why it's done and information about the procedure, etc. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20384625

It sounds fascinating! Is your treatment similar to this description given?
      And yes, I echo KoKo's encouragement to be a part of our exercise group again!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

For those who are unfamiliar with this technique and might also benefit from it, here is a link that explains how it works, why it's done and information about the procedure, etc. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20384625

And yes, I echo KoKo's encouragement to be a part of our exercise group again!
        I'd never heard of it. Glad to hear that it's been successful!

And, yeah. Come back to our exercise group. We changed the name. We're the Goalposters.

For anyone else looking for strategies for depression, my hubby had success with acupuncture.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks for the support and encouragement. And how can I refuse such a request to rejoin goalposters? You niced me in. :-)

Koko - The length at this office is preset: 30 sessions and then 4 spaced out to taper off. It's 5 days a week.

Seasha - That description is pretty much what I experience. The coil is inside a cushion which is all you feel...until they turn it on. It's odd, not sure how to describe the sensation. I had a few headaches at first but they went away the first week. The sound is what I've imagined a woodpecker sounds like. I really didn't have the highest hopes I was just willing to try anything. I'm glad I did.

Mamabug - I'm glad acupuncture worked for your husband. I've always been curious about that.

Comment

Working...
          X