new flare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new flare

Recovering from a flare that revealed a new lesion and more damage to my optic nerve.
    I'm sure when I see my neuro on Wednesday he's going to want me to change DMT but I'm out of the loop on what's available now. Last time I did research the IV infusions were brand-new.
    I can't have anything with "depression" listed as possible side effects and I'm JC+
    What are the newest treatments available? I'd like to be slightly informed before my appointment. I appreciate your insight and experience - thank you!
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Hi Toomnyhats,

Sorry you are having a relapse. Hope it resolves soon. It is smart to anticipate the conversation with your neuro.

I am not much help with new meds, as I have been on Avonex, Rebif, and finally Tysabri.

This is a link to available treatments. You may be familiar with some already.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Tr...MS/Medications

Lots of luck.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you, this information is very helpful!

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
      Hi Toomnyhats,

Sorry you are having a relapse. Hope it resolves soon. It is smart to anticipate the conversation with your neuro.

I am not much help with new meds, as I have been on Avonex, Rebif, and finally Tysabri.

This is a link to available treatments. You may be familiar with some already.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Tr...MS/Medications

Lots of luck.
      DX 10/2008
      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Sorry to hear!

Personally i am on Mayzent and have been for a year. Prior to i was on Tysabri for a year but i didn't do well with it. Mayzent is a pill a day. I do take an anti depressant daily and i was JVC + as well. The only issue i've had on Mayzent is my liver enzymes have been elevated however after a year of being on it they are starting to go back down. not sure if my body needed adjustment so neuro is keeping an eye on it.

Other than that i feel great and very easy to take.

Best of luck!
        Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
        Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you everyone for your advice.
          When I went to my neuro he was impressed that I already knew I needed to switch meds and had researched my options. I was able to speak intelligently about his med suggestion, ask relevant questions and even had my own med suggestion (from my eye doc) to be considered.
          However, the resident who was with him was less than impressed. I believe he expected me to just agree to the new med without an discussion. He walked into the room, handed me info from the drug manufacturer and said "Hi, I'm Dr. F This is the new med we're switching you to." When I said "well, that decision will be made after I talk to Dr. C" he looked very surprised that I wasn't just automatically agreeing!
          DX 10/2008
          Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Good for you for being your own advocate and staying educated

Let us know what you decide!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

It's always wonderful when patients educate and then advocate for themselves. It's empowering, but also a blessing to take an active role in your treatment plan.

Good for you and I hope your next medication will serve you well.

Comment

Hi Toomnyhats. I am really glad that you were able to have a good discussion with your neuro on options and preferences. To me, that is a positive sign for your neuro. The resident on the other hand, needs to learn healthcare is a partnership, not a dictatorship.

Whatever med you choose, I hope you have success. Has your relapse subsided? I do hope you are feeling better.

Take care.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Please keep us informed about what med you choose and how it works for you. I'm glad you went to your appointment informed. Most neuros appreciate that and expect that we will be a part in choosing our DMT. I'm disappointed that the resident didn't exhibit the same approach.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                  X