Kesompta vs. Ocrevus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kesompta vs. Ocrevus

I am currently on Ocrevus. Does Kesimpta have any advantage s? Or is is simply a question. Of administration. I took rebif for some time so injections don’t scare me. But long infusions are a hassle.

Kesimpta a.k.a Ofatumumab is the correct name.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1138 View Post
      I am currently on Ocrevus. Does Kesimpta have any advantage s? Or is is simply a question. Of administration. I took rebif for some time so injections don’t scare me. But long infusions are a hassle.
      Ofatumumab was compared head to head with Aubagio can was shown to be a superior medication (on average).
      It's impossible to know if it's a better drug than Ocrelizumab, but here are a few thoughts:

- Ocrelizumab is humanized, while Ofatumumab is fully human. This should decrease the chance of developing neutralizing antibodies. Developing neutralizing antibodies is even a bigger problem with Rituximab that is chimeric in nature. Treatment induced anti-drug antibodies (ADAs) were detected in 2 of 914 (0.2%) KESIMPTA-treated patients; no patients with treatment enhancing or neutralizing ADAs were identified.

- a number of patients report breakthrough activity before their next 6 month Ocrelizumab infusion. These people may be experiencing early b-cell repopulation. With monthly dosing it's unlikely that b-cells would ever repopulate.

- as you mentioned, Ofatumumab is a self-injected so infusions are no longer required. I'm a difficult IV stick so this medication would remedy that problem for me.

- all three b-cell depleting therapies bind slightly differently to the CD20 cells so one could work better for you than the others.

- there's recent research that shows Ocrelizumab may negate the effects of vaccines. With Rituximab and Ocrelizumab, timing can be used to try to maximize and potential benefit. With a monthly injection it could reduce the effectiveness of vaccines even further and is mentioned in the prescribing information. This could hinder the effectiveness of a covid vaccine.

- normally Ocrelizumab is infused with steroids and other premedications. These additional medications are not necessary for Ofatumumab injections.

- the side effect profile of each medication is different so you may tolerate one better than another. Upper respiratory infections are more likely in Ofatumumab so that could be a covid concern.

- with 12 injections you have more opportunities for medication reactions. Many people feel side effects after Ocrelizumab infusions, but that's only twice per year. If you have injection reactions (greater than 10%) every dose you could end up with more days of recovery.

- it's worth noting that, like Rituximab, the dosing of Ofatumumab for MS patients is much lower than for cancer patients

- Ocrelizumab infusions of 2.5 hours have been approved in Europe and will probably be approved here in the US before long.

Comment

I am currently on Kesimpta. I find it much better to deal with. So far, I have not had any side effects. Previously, I was taking Ocrevus and found that I was completely wiped out with extreme fatigue that lasted over a week. Found it very difficult to complete tasks of daily living during this period of extreme fatigue. With Kesimpta, the medication is spread out over 12 months as opposed to 2 times a year. In addition, going to spend several hours at an infusion center no longer was convenient. Lastly, because of the pandemic, my doctor immediately took me off Ocrevus and switched me to Kesimpta. Both of these medications do the same thing that depletes the B Cells; just the manner of administration is different.

Comment

Eliminating the infusion center is the best part of using Kesimpta vs Ocrevus. No steroids is another good thing. Just finished the first 3 doses in the 1st month.
          I will know how well it works when I get another mri. I’m excited about this med and hope I can continue on it for awhile. This is my 8th dmt and want the consistency I had with Tysabri over 6 years.

Comment

Hey pballer76!

Thank you for sharing your experience with Kesimpta.

Looks like it has been a positive one so far.

I hope that this good experience continues for you!
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I have finally decided to switch. Zi spoke to my neurologist and he said it he has seen a performance equal to Ocrevus with his patients. About half his patients have switched. I mostly hope to avoid the Ocrevus Crap Gap: I really dislike the weeks after the infusion when my body has to absorb all the drug infused in me. I’ve had overall good results with Ocrevus. I’m hoping for the same with easier administration. We’ll see. Thanks for all the responses.

Comment

First shot resulted in significant muscle bain for a few days. Second and third much easier. First monthly shot was a breeze. So far good decision to change. Hopefully, the monthly shot was continue to be a breeze. Hopefully no more “crap gap”. I try to eventually update with a report.

Comment

Working...
                X