Non MS question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non MS question

This is just a personal type question. Maybe someone here has some advice.

My dog has recently gone blind, or almost blind. Not sure if he's seeing much. He's bumping into things and having a hard time finding his food. He does know how to navigate the place fairly well... maybe just his instincts taking over. I thought he was deaf too, but he responds when he hears someone outside talking or another dog barking. This is Sam's last dog... a rescue from somewhere around 2006 or 07.

He is basically healthy, but I knew this was coming for awhile. Been to the VET many, many times. He's about 13 years old.... part Brussels and Pug and who knows what else! We had 2 of these dogs when Sam died and the female died the same day that Sam passed.

I'm struggling with the idea of putting him down. I just can't imagine that he is happy being this way and I know it will get worse. I know it will be over in just a couple of minutes if the VET takes care of it. He's a sweet little guy... no trouble really. But now he wants to be on my heels all the time. He knows how to find me. He goes right to the door when he needs to go out.

Anyway...... what do you think...should I or should I not? I hate to do this, but my energy level is so low and I really can't (and don't want to) be his caregiver for much longer. Hard decision... a heartbreaker.

Thanks so much.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Marti,
    I am so sorry for what you are going through. I had a wonderful cocker spaniel whose eyes had to be removed. She did very well and knew the layout of the house. Then she became deaf. She was 12 years old. I had to move to another house due to a job change and she couldn't manage in the new place so I did have her put to sleep. I was there with her when it was done and she was calm and quiet. It broke my heart but I feel for me and her it was the best thing to do. I hope you can make a decision that will be OK for you.

Comment

I know the dilemma that you are faced with. I could never do anything about an animal until they stopped eating and I figured they lost the will to live. However I’m probably at fault for procrastinating. Others in my family have made the decisions where I couldn’t. It’s not hard to make the call when you’re pet has reached the end of the line. We owe them an easy finish. I think you’re dog will let you know when.
      It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpride View Post
        I know the dilemma that you are faced with. I could never do anything about an animal until they stopped eating and I figured they lost the will to live. However I’m probably at fault for procrastinating. Others in my family have made the decisions where I couldn’t. It’s not hard to make the call when you’re pet has reached the end of the line. We owe them an easy finish. I think you’re dog will let you know when.

Thanks for this great answer. Right now the dog is not sick. He stinks, itches has an amputated tail that looks awful, but he's not sick. When he gets up in the morning he goes straight to the door to go out, but he's not seeing the door. Sometimes he doesn't know when I've opened it for him. Bumping around a lot. I'm pretty sure he can hear me a little bit. He seems to want to be near me if he can figure out where I am. I think I'll take your advice and wait till he gives me more signals. He's wearing me out... wants me to hand feed him and I have to watch him more closely. But... basically he's okay. I bawled this morning thinking about this. And I do want his leaving to be easy. I've seen it done and I know it's humane.
        Marti

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
          Marti,
          I am so sorry for what you are going through. I had a wonderful cocker spaniel whose eyes had to be removed. She did very well and knew the layout of the house. Then she became deaf. She was 12 years old. I had to move to another house due to a job change and she couldn't manage in the new place so I did have her put to sleep. I was there with her when it was done and she was calm and quiet. It broke my heart but I feel for me and her it was the best thing to do. I hope you can make a decision that will be OK for you.

Going to give him a little more time. I can't believe he's happy... maybe confused and frustrated, but he's not sick. Not sure about his hearing either. But, I think I'll watch for progression and try to give us both a little more time. It's coming for sure. Over the years we've had a lot of pets. Had to do the job ourselves some of the time. I've been crying all morning over this and it takes me back to Sam. I always said I felt like there was something more I could have done for him. If I let Pogo go now I'll wonder about it like I do with Sam. I will never have another dog!!
          Marti

Comment

It’s a good thing some of us MS’ers aren’t pets...
            It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Working...
            X