Lipoatrophy from Copaxone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lipoatrophy from Copaxone

As everyone knows, lipoatrophy is a common SE of Copaxone. After approx five years on this medication, I (quickly) developed pretty severe lipoatrophy on my butt - both cheeks, but predominately the left. As soon as I noticed the depressions, I discontinued this medication (last October).

I am DISTRAUGHT over this disfigurement. Upon my research I came across simple saline solution injections as a non-invasive/safe potential intervention (commonly used for lipoatrophy caused by [HIV] antiviral injections as well as steroid injections). My dermatologist was willing to try this intervention. We have had seven sessions - each time vamping up the CCs (but staying within a safe amount - too many CCs can actually cause MORE damage) - but VERY minimal improvement - the longevity of which is TBD.

I am now seriously investigating a fat transfer (a fat transfer to the buttocks is known as a Brazilian Butt Lift ["BBL"]). Anyway, curious to know if anyone has tried a fat transfer for their Copaxone-induced lipoatrophy and, if so, the outcome of the surgery. Before I spend thousands of dollars and go through a 6-8 week brutal post-op recovery I would love to know there is at least light at the end of this very dark tunnel. Thank you so much for your input.

Hi Irella. Welcome to MSWorld. I saw your posts on various threads about lipoatrophy.

I experienced some minor lipoatrophy during my many years of Copaxone use, but I don't have experience to answer your question. Perhaps someone will be along soon who knows more about the surgery.

Meanwhile, while you wait for a response, please consider introducing yourself in our Tell Us About Yourself forum.
    https://www.msworld.org/forum/forumd...About-Yourself!
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks Mamabug. I will complete that profile! Can I ask, has your lipoatrophy gotten any better with the time? Or has it pretty much stayed the same? For me, the depressions just add insult to injury. I know not everyone is as bothered by them, but I clearly am not one of those people. My bum is so disfigured - and I'm only in my 30s

Comment

Working...
      X