X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 08-06-2020

5 checked in last week.

3 made goals.
    2 made partial goals. Well, maybe 502E79 made goals; just adjusted them.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made goals

Silver Sneakers at rec center 1x
    Chair yoga at senior center 2x
    Strong seniors at senior center 2x
    PT at home 1x

Garmin still experiencing an outage so I can't document steps.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Outstanding Mamabug. Good to see you moving around more.

I didn't make goals but did what I could.

I got my 2 nights of Jiu Jitsu in but not much more. 1 short HIIT session but not much more.

3 walks with lady Boudreaux for 5.5 miles total.
      9.7k average daily steps

Goals for next week are:
      2 runs at 3 miles each.
      2 nights of Jiu Jitsu
      2 Yoga sessions

Keep it going.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Great job Mamabug! You are back in the swing of things

And Boudreux - good for you for doing what you could! That's what really counts in the scheme of things -right?

I made my goal with garden work almost every day- watering, weeding, harvesting. Still tons of blueberries with kids and grands now having their share at picking one day each this week. There are enough bushes to keep safe distancing, so I'm out there too!

Green beans galore and making quarts of dilled green beans.
        My house needs cleaning, but will save for rainy weather.

Goal the same for next week. Have a healthy week ahead!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Goals Accomplished

Hello everyone

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
          Silver Sneakers at rec center 1x
          Chair yoga at senior center 2x
          Strong seniors at senior center 2x
          PT at home 1x
          Fantastic, Mamabug!

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post

I didn't make goals but did what I could.

I got my 2 nights of Jiu Jitsu in but not much more. 1 short HIIT session but not much more.

3 walks with lady Boudreaux for 5.5 miles total.
          9.7k average daily steps
          You did what you could, and what you did was terrific, Boudreaux!

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          I made my goal with garden work almost every day- watering, weeding, harvesting. Still tons of blueberries with kids and grands now having their share at picking one day each this week. There are enough bushes to keep safe distancing, so I'm out there too!

Green beans galore and making quarts of dilled green beans.
          My house needs cleaning, but will save for rainy weather.
          Hard work, but excellent physical activities, Seasha!

Looks like we're moving, and doing what we can.

I accomplished my exercise goals, and did a few extra light housework chores this week.

It sure would be nice if my nerve signals would function properly for longer than 30 min or so at a time.

Stopping to rest and recharge so often sure makes my day go by way too fast.

But, at the end of the day, I feel thankful for what I was able to do - slow, sometimes struggling, and all.

This is the hand of cards I have, and I'm playing them.

Aiming for same goals next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

Health and happiness to all.
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

It looks like a pretty fine week for all of us! Smiling here at the keyboard!

My week was shorter than expected, the tropical weather washed out Tuesday. But the 2 other gym days were pretty good. Cardio distances and resistance are now a match to mid March levels although it takes a little longer.

Would like to mention something that we all know has value but bears repeating. As we progress, MS takes what it will, we do our best with the tools available, drugs, therapy, exercise to halt, slow, even reverse the progress. Along the way I have found myself at times saying that I can't do that, in my case; an exercise, yoga position or even something simple around the house.

To get to the obvious point, we have to try to do it. As long as our choice doesn't put others or ourselves at risk.

This was pointed out this week when I heard my self coming up with reasons that explain why I cannot do the requested exercise. Then I ate crow. And was better for it. The mental lift received from an accomplishment, even something small will come in handy as we journey forward.

Along with Keep it Moving. You Have to Try. Again, Congratulations Goal Posters!

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
              Would like to mention something that we all know has value but bears repeating. As we progress, MS takes what it will, we do our best with the tools available, drugs, therapy, exercise to halt, slow, even reverse the progress. Along the way I have found myself at times saying that I can't do that, in my case; an exercise, yoga position or even something simple around the house.

To get to the obvious point, we have to try to do it. As long as our choice doesn't put others or ourselves at risk.
              Well said, Jer.

A perplexing aspect of MS, though (for some of us), is that what may be easily performed in the morning, may truly be impossible later in the day. Or, an activity that's not doable on Monday, may then turn around and become easy-peasy to do on Friday.

This conundrum leads me to try to the point of exhaustion at times, because after all, I was able to do that in the morning! Or, I was able to perform that activity on Friday - so I surely must be able to do that on Monday too!

This was pointed out this week when I heard my self coming up with reasons that explain why I cannot do the requested exercise. Then I ate crow. And was better for it. The mental lift received from an accomplishment, even something small will come in handy as we journey forward.
              So true!
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                Gug!

I made my goal with garden work almost every day....

.....making quarts of dilled green beans.
                Nice work. I love pickled green beans. Actually, I like almost any pickled veggie.

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

I accomplished my exercise goals....

....This is the hand of cards I have, and I'm playing them.
                Good for you. Play on.

It looks like a pretty fine week for all of us! Smiling here at the keyboard!

My week was shorter than expected, the tropical weather washed out Tuesday. But the 2 other gym days were pretty good. Cardio distances and resistance are now a match to mid March levels although it takes a little longer.

Along with Keep it Moving. You Have to Try. Again, Congratulations Goal Posters!

YES! Great message Jerry. Keep it going.

I actually hate running and exercise. I have to talk myself out of quitting every step of the way. That's where the discipline comes in and the feeling after I'm done is definitely a reward.
                The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

To get to the obvious point, we have to try to do it.

Yes, well said and an wonderful thing to remember. I have always been a hard worker and what I can do now is a fraction of the amount that I could accomplish even a year ago. That said, I still try to push through doing things differently. My limit is about an hour, slowly, then rest until I recharge, like KoKo. And the mental lift, as you state, comes from within because at least I tried.

But, at the end of the day, I feel thankful for what I was able to do - slow, sometimes struggling, and all. This is the hand of cards I have, and I'm playing them.
                  Great attitude, KoKo!

So happy that we all keep trying with positive attitudes tucked in our back pockets.
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

KoKo- Yes, I didn't bring up the inconsistencies that MS hands us... yet another double edge sword we deal with daily or weekly. Guessing here, but in my case, I have three or more unsuccessful attempts at doing something, over time, I notice an aversion to further attempts. Trainer suggested an exercise akin to something I thought "lost".... and I turned into Joe Pessimist. That cannot be allowed.

Boudreaux- Thanks for sharing your feelings on running. I had no idea! My cousin has been a runner for 60 years, loves it still. Though everyone was like him. Real nice to be reminded of the work / discipline involved in the efforts we make!

Seasha- Your comment; " I have always been a hard worker and what I can do now is a fraction of the amount that I could accomplish even a year ago." You could have used the word "but", instead you said "and." Optimism and taking some form of action.... You are working harder than before.

And Mamabug-, I second Boudreaux on moving around more, Garmin or not!

Comment

Working...
                    X