First Neuro Appt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Neuro Appt

Hello all. I am not diagnosed with MS (and I hope to never be). I already have an autoimmune disease, Ankylosing Spondylitis. I have been having increasing neurological symptoms, which have gone on for years and I've just lived with, but more recent ones made me think, maybe I should check this out.

I have had dyesthesias for years in legs, but started getting a vice like band around upper arm. Tremor started in my left ring finger. A couple months ago got dizziness for about two weeks. It wasn't room spinning, just things being off. I figured it would pass, but it did actually make me fall. It stopped and then about a week later I had a couple week period of my eyes jumping. Made it difficult to read or look at computer/phone. It also went away.

I have had two bouts of uveitis 10 years ago. Mental fog has been for years (I figure related to my already diagnosed autoimmune disease), but having more difficulty with word finding. Oh, and more cramping in calves, making it more difficult to drive. My leg will just ache and tighten and it's kinda scary when you are using it to drive. Anyway, I'm hopeful I have a B12 deficiency or just some other explanation that isn't going to be degenerative or lead to increasing disability. We will see! Thanks so much for listening.

Let us know what you find out. Your symptoms sound like they very well could be related to MS. But, there are things that mimic MS. So don't freak out yet. Hang in there and read, read, read.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Hi katydarby and welcome to MSWorld! I'm sorry you have a dx of Ankylosing Spondylitis. I wasn't sure what that was and had to look it up. It sounds painful and I hope you have it under control with medication.

Like Marti said, there are many other conditions that mimic MS, which can be hard to diagnose as other conditions need to be ruled out with testing. It could very well be a vitamin deficiency and a simple blood test can determine the deficit, if any.

Here is an interesting thread about different blood work done and some MS "mimics" https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...-ordered-on-me

As long as you have some serious concerns, a talk with you pcp might be the first step to address your problems and have blood work done. After that, the doctor may or may not determine an appt with a neurologist would be the next step for diagnosing you.

I certainly hope you don't have MS! Call for an appt soon and let us know how it's going
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi katydarby

Good luck at your appointment.

It's helpful to document the issues that you've been having, and be sure to take that with you.

I used to think of things that I wanted to tell the doctor while driving home, after the appointment.

Let us know what you find out - we'll be here.

Best wishes!
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Welcome to MSWorld.

Sometimes, if we have undx symptoms, it can be a relief to be dx with MS so we know what we have and how to treat it.

Here's wishing, though, that doctors determine what's going on and how to manage symptoms.

Meanwhile, consider The Wahls Protocol, a diet with no gluten, no dairy that has helped some with autoimmune diseases.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you all for the comments and support. I got an MRI of head/neck yesterday, so just waiting on results.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
              I certainly hope you don't have MS! Call for an appt soon and let us know how it's going

Going to second Seasha's sign off. Also, Welcome!... hopefully for a temporary visit to our site.

There are many people here with diverse stories but a common good: they both understand and care!

Wishing you good news!

Comment

Working...
              X