MS & MEMORY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS & MEMORY

I am not talking about forgetting where I put my keys or anything like that.
    I'm talking about not remembering what my grand daughter's name is. She was sitting right in front of me, had just bought me a Starbucks coffee. My husband had just called me and I was telling him that Ashley, not her name, had bought me coffee. Of course she looked at me and my husband said what? For the life of me I could not remember her name. She's 16 so she's been around for awhile.
    This is just 1 example. So is this beyond MS or still could be MS related.
    No I have not spoken with the neuro yet. Appointment next month. Kinda scared of the answers whatever they may be.
    DIAGNOSED=2012
    ISSUES LONG BEFORE
    REBIF 1 YEAR

Hi mercadies25

Your memory problem does sound concerning, glad to know you have an appointment with your Neurologist.

Memory problems can be MS or due to something else. I would hope your Neurologist would refer you for a Neuro-Psych evaluation. Many of us with MS have had this type of evaluation, maybe you have had one before?

I had a Neuro-Psych evaluation several years ago. There was a concern I had Alzheimer's. In my case the memory issues where due to a medication.

I hope all goes well at your appointment. Some information about a Neuro-Psych evaluation/testing:
    https://www.brainline.org/article/gu...ogical-testing
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi mercadies25.

Memory problems can be quite scary. I can relate to the black-hole memory issue - the harder I would try to recall, the less chance I had of succeeding. As Snoopy said, there can be many causes for memory loss and neuropsych testing can help determine the cause. It can also be an important benchmark for later testing, providing an objective compare point for the future. If your neuro doesn't mention it, ask about obtaining an evaluation.

When researching mine, I had good news in my MRIs, stating my brain volume was normal for my age. I also didn't have any key deficiencies, sleep study was fine except for restless legs, and no medication issues. But my neuropsych eval did determine I struggle with cognitive fatigue, which is what led me to stop working. Cognitive tasks take way more out of me than actual physical tasks. But the cognitive fatigue leads to physical fatigue as well. My memory has been better since i stopped working, but still, if I push myself on cognitive tasks, I struggle.

Sleep disturbances, medicine, vitamin deficiencies, and stress can all be culprits, as well as disease, whether MS or another. It is hard to not jump ahead to all the what ifs, but try not to. Let them do the testing and see where it goes. But definitely make sure you advocate for yourself to get a thorough evaluation. Maybe you can bring someone with you to help advocate for it if you aren't sure you can.

As scary as it can be to find out, it is still better to find out the root cause. There are advancements each year related to the understanding of the brain and memory, and there are drugs that can help slow down memory loss progression. You are wise to see your neuro next month. Hope the visit goes well for you.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I think it’s normal to draw a blank every now and then. Makes me feel so stupid. As long as it only happens not very often. Happens to me mostly when I’m thinking too much stuff at once. I think you’ll be fine. Don’t sweat it to severely.
        It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Working...
        X