Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMAL

HEY THERE,

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH REGISTERING THEIR PET AS AN EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMAL. I HAVE A CAT AND WOULD LIKE TO REGISTER HER, BUT I WANTED TO DO SOME RESEARCH FIRST. THE COMPANY I CONTACTED SAID IT WAS $70 FOR 1 YEAR TO HAVE HER REGISTERED. MY BEST FRIEND GOT HER DOG REGISTERED AS AN ESA FOR FREE AND ITS FOR HIS LIFETIME. I KNOW CATS AND DOGS ARE DIFFERENT BUT IM CURIOUS AS TO WHY I WOULD HAVE TO PAY IF YOU FRIEND DIDNT. I WANT TO MAKE SURE IM NOT GETTING TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF BEFORE I COMMIT

Legally, an emotional support animal must be prescribed by a mental health professional, a psychiatrist, psychologist, or therapist. Registration is offered by various online “organizations”, none of whom have any legal standing and are simply money-making operations.

Comment

My psychiatrist signed a letter to make my dog an emotional support animal. That doesn't carry as much weight as an actual service animal that has even more legal protections.

Yes, the online registration companies are largely garbage. A few actually have a network of psychs that will write a letter for you. Some are still scams though and set "expiration dates" requiring you to spend even more money.

Comment

THANKS FOR THE INPUT. I HAD A FEELING IT WAS NOT WORTH GOING THE ONLINE ROUTE. I WAS SEEING A COUNSELOR AND PSYCHIATRIST BEFORE I MOVED TO A DIFFERENT STATE SO MAYBE THIS IS A GOOD WAY FOR ME TO START SEEING SOMEONE AGAIN

Comment

Working...
        X