Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving

I’m wondering who is still driving that has mobility issues. I haven’t driven since February. My right foot/ankle doesn’t have the flexibility that I need to safely move from the gas to the break. I’m afraid to drive and afraid to lose the ability to drive. I don’t have any place to really go since I need equipment to move about once I arrive to a destination. How have you handled it?

Paula

Originally posted by RonPaulaD View Post
    I’m wondering who is still driving that has mobility issues. I haven’t driven since February. My right foot/ankle doesn’t have the flexibility that I need to safely move from the gas to the break. I’m afraid to drive and afraid to lose the ability to drive. I don’t have any place to really go since I need equipment to move about once I arrive to a destination. How have you handled it?

Paula
    Hi Paula ~

For a time, several years ago while still driving, I would push the gas pedal with my right foot and brake with my left foot. (It came easy to me because my previous car had been a manual transmission (stick shift) with the clutch that I pushed with my left foot.)

At that time, I was using a 3-wheel rollator to walk, which only weighed 9 pounds, folded easily, and fit behind my driver seat.

After awhile, lifting my right foot up and off of the gas pedal became more difficult, so I decided to stop driving, as it wasn't safe anymore. Also, just getting in and out of the car became very difficult as well.

Since I no longer drive, I can get rides from family or friends.

In any case, just want you to know that I can understand a lot of what you're going through, Paula. Not easy.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I gave up driving several years ago. I have constant dizziness and it was not safe for me to drive anymore. I really don't mind. In Italy public transportation is excellent, at least in Rome. When I am back in CA my family drive me or I take the bus.

Comment

Paula

I am beginning the process of giving up my truck. Like KoKo, it's manual. My right arm is spastic enough that 5 th gear is very hard to reach and my right hand (fist really), since I cannot open it, is constantly on stick. This is hard in summer if sweaty, hard in winter, with more tightness.... Another dimension.

I can pivot right foot from gas to brake fine but having my left foot "clutch free" would give me insurance

The vehicles I'm looking at have "smart" brakes. If you can handle the equipment you mention, once at your destination, this may put your mind at ease.

Also there are many ways to adapt a vehicle for the handicapped these days.

I too am on the event horizon. This may be my last vehicle and it could very well be short lived.

Comment

I'm still driving in our community (population about 18,000). My mobility affects my ability to walk. I look awkward, I use a cane when away from home, and I have very little stamina for distances. But it hasn't affected my driving. My feet still move to the pedals correctly and my hands are fine.

However, I gave up night time driving about 10 years ago because my vision does weird things when driving at night. And, I quit driving out of town 2-3 years ago. I think I still could, but my MS creates anxiety when I do. I've decided it's just a stress management technique to avoid activities that create anxiety.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I still drive sometimes, but I pick and choose the times and always take another driver with me. I've given it up for the most part because I don't always know when my hands and legs are going to get wonky. I'm lucky enough to have 2 family members nearby who can take me around or run errands.

The other day, Mum, Son, and I went shopping together. I started out driving, because we were using my car and neither of them likes going through town. I had to stop halfway home and let my son take over because my arms were no longer working properly and I was developing brain fog.

I'd say it's time to give it up when you no longer feel comfortable behind the wheel or start thinking of yourself as a hazard. It's irritating at times and makes me feel more of a burden to my family, but at the same time it's better than letting pride wreck my car or hurt someone else.

Comment

I have been using hand controls for years now.

Comment

I still drive short distances. My neighbor has offered to put hand controls in, he has several sets at home. He works for Rolex and at one point that's what he use to do. My left hand isn't strong enough to work the steering wheel by itself so I have decline. Dr. Appt. and grocery stores is about all the driving I do.

I'm trying to hold out giving up driving until my son in law finishes up on my 68 Mustang. My daughter took a auto body class and replaced some of the sheet metal and painted it I redid the interior and the son in law was going to replace the brakes, exhaust and some engine work. I get down on my knees for awhile I can't get back up. I would like to drive it a little bit before I give up driving.

I have a 74 CJ5 Jeep in the garage that I had put a fiber glass body on and fixed it up nice and I can't drive it because it's a stick and my left foot doesn't work. My kids have no problems asking if they can take it for a spin.

Comment

Left foot accelerator

Hello,

I have weakness and drop foot on the right side so I recently had a left foot Excelerator installed and I love it. I went to a specific driving program through a hospital in my town and practiced for many hours so that I'm comfortable and safe behind the wheel. I still need to perform a road test for the DMV in the next few weeks but I expect to pass with flying colors. Also the MS society picked up the bill. I encourage you to look into it.

Paula

Comment

My vehicle has hand controls and a suicide knob. In Texas, using hand controls requires training, a State driver's exam and then forbids you from driving without them.

In some states you can just add them on yourself and cruise around. If your hands are in good shape this might be the way to go.

Comment

I stopped driving about 4 years ago. Mainly due to vision/dizziness issues that led to severe anxiety attacks when I would drive.

I was having horrible reactions to when cars would come up the side of me or turn left in front of me. It made me so jumpy the anxiety attacks began and it got to the point where it wasn’t safe for me to drive, especially with my kids in the car. One is an adult now and he helps me out a lot. The first year or two was rough when I would try to at last go a few blocks but that was too much.

The last two years we’ve fallen into a groove in dealing with it, and my husband and I have had the talk in the last several months that we don’t expect me to drive again ever. It’s hard because I’ve lost a lot of freedom in going places when I want to(though with COVID lately, that really isn’t much of an issue anyways).

Comment

Working...
                      X