MS Lassitude (MS Fatigue)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Lassitude (MS Fatigue)

I am having one of "those" days with fatigue and "trying" to do the things I want to do so I thought this would be a good time to revisit the topic of what MS fatigue really is.

MS Lassitude can truly suck the life out of you. Some days you can sleep literally all day. Even if you sleep all day you can still feel exhausted and wiped out. It's those days you have no choice but to give in and just sleep or sit and space out because anything else is just too difficult.

Only those who have MS would understand what fatigue is with this disease. We are not tired or just fatigued we have Lassitude.

I am not complaining. This is simply what a day or more can be like with the type of fatigue MS causes. I posted a few URL's about MS Lassitude although some of the information may be redundant (sorry)

https://my-ms.org/symptoms_fatigue.htm

https://www.msif.org/about-ms/symptoms-of-ms/fatigue/

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...erosis-fatigue

Blessings to all
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Thanks for these articles, Snoopy, especially knowing that fatigue is one of the more common denominators of symptoms for us. Somewhere around 80%?

These theories are important to know as stated in one of your links given:

*Another theory is that people with MS may have to use more parts of their brain to do the same task as someone without MS; in essence, they are working harder.
    *Another theory is that fatigue is related to reduced electrical transmission of signals in the brain.

I always feel that I work harder than most to do the same task! For me, it has to do with muscle fatigue just to get my body moving. And of course, reduced electrical transmission is more prevalent in hot weather- like now.

My challenges are quite evident with me having SP, using a walker, etc., but I'm sure it must be harder for those who have more invisible symptoms to make others know that it's not being lazy or just feeling tired!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

My challenges are quite evident with me having SP, using a walker, etc., but I'm sure it must be harder for those who have more invisible symptoms to make others know that it's not being lazy or just feeling tired!
      That is me. My husband can tell by my eyes now when I am starting to overdue it. My family is pretty good about reality versus just tired/lazy. But I often wonder about other people.

The other aspect of MS fatigue that many don't realize is cognitive fatigue. I struggled mightily with this the last few years of work. It would cause physical fatigue, as well as temporary worsening of symptoms. Both my neuro and neuropsych felt that my cognitive reserve that was built when younger could no longer compensate for the damage done by MS.

Snoopy - glad you brought this up. Hoping a better day today for you. To me, I feel like someone drugged me on the days where I can sleep around the clock!
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I usually deal with fatigue on a regular basis some days not as bad as others. I hate the "I can't do anything but sit." Thankfully that isn't my normal And, I am back to my "normal."

Last week we had gone up to the mountains to a place where I find peace and calm, a place that I can just breathe and know everything is going to be okay. There are tables so we took our lunch with us. I did fine until I needed to use the restroom, I had muscle fatigue which can be common. I didn't think it was that warm there but apparently my legs thought so

By the way, face masks don't decrease the smell of an outhouse

It was interesting walking the slight incline to use the rest room and it was just as interesting walking back down. It was an inconvenience and surprising but so happy we went. My walking gets worse with fatigue (muscle and other) and something that is very obvious.

I think sometimes we forget the effect that prescription drugs can have on our fatigue.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi SNOOPY

Glad for you that you were able to go to your peaceful place in the mountains.

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
          I did fine until I needed to use the restroom, I had muscle fatigue which can be common. I didn't think it was that warm there but apparently my legs thought so
          I have found that when I'm comfortably warm, then it's too warm for my nerve signals. I have to be borderline chilly to function in the best way possible. I really don't like feeling chilly, but I walk so much better that way.

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
          My walking gets worse with fatigue (muscle and other) and something that is very obvious.
          Motor fatigue (extreme weakness in arms, legs, back) is my most frequent fatigue. I don't get the sleepy type of fatigue very often, (thank my lucky stars).
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I also have fatigue. I am very lucky to be self-employed, but still working in our office. My husband is a chiropractor. As such I am able to nap about three days a week. But I can often be found, at my desk, when we do not have patients, with my eyes closed dosing. Hubby does not care! In fact, he's forever saying to me, when we are home, "Aren't you going to have a nap?". But the big thing I find is my lack of desire to do the things I used to like doing. I do not have any level of noticeable disability (newly diagnosed) but I just feel "blah" and tired. It really sucks!
            "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
            ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
            X