• Show
Clear All

Goalposters exercise check-in for July 16, 2020

Sorry; I'm a day late posting this.

4 checked in last week.

Looks like we all made goals.
    We missed you, Boudreaux.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made Goals

Hello everyone

Hope all is well with you!

I had a mostly good week, and was able to accomplish my exercise goals.

A couple of days were a struggle for me, but the other days were better.

I'm going to add breathing exercises to my routine. I did them a few days last week, and then forgot to do them the rest of the time. By making them part of my routine (which I document) I will remember to do them.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

Good energy to all!
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Consistent as ever, KoKo and good job! Good luck on the breathing exercises....A very important aspect while exercising.

I made my goal mostly working in the garden and shrub and flower beds. Weeding my main focus as well as adding more organic liquid fertilizer to all veggie plants. It was slow and challenging work. I managed to also harvest 1 1/2 gallons of raspberries alongside my dh. I picked the low ones and he did the high ones.

Did some vacuuming too.

Boudreaux
      - hope you are OK. Haven't seen you around for a couple weeks now.

Hope you are all doing well and hanging in there
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        I made my goal mostly working in the garden and shrub and flower beds. Weeding my main focus as well as adding more organic liquid fertilizer to all veggie plants. It was slow and challenging work. I managed to also harvest 1 1/2 gallons of raspberries alongside my dh. I picked the low ones and he did the high ones.

Did some vacuuming too.
        Hi Seasha

You have the most interesting, most productive, and maybe even the most challenging workouts!

Terrific!
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Made goal

I went to senior center to do chair yoga once!
          And I did it exercises at home twice.

My Garmin has a low battery and won't sync so I'm not sure how I did for steps but it's probably a little bit improved because I'm getting away from the house a little more.

Same goal next week -- try to improve a little.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            I went to senior center to do chair yoga once!
            And I did it exercises at home twice.

My Garmin has a low battery and won't sync so I'm not sure how I did for steps but it's probably a little bit improved because I'm getting away from the house a little more.

Same goal next week -- try to improve a little.
            Hi Mamabug

Glad that you are 'free' to go out now!

Nice job getting back into your exercising.

Comment

Hi all!

Seasha, KoKo & Mamabug! glad to read positive, upbeat reviews of the week past! Drop a line Mike, hope all is well!

I made the trainers goals last week. My normal cardio routine and time spent are still shy of pre covid days but if I stick to my plan, by August (can you believe August!) they will be.

As I mentioned in the Gratitude thread, patience and other virtues, were called upon over the past weeks. Minor things, stuff like Seasha does, practical things, are more often than not overwhelming.

To explain.... a friend sent two packages from the city. They arrived on two separate days. Each day was an event to carry package to truck. Maybe 20 lbs. each and slightly awkward. Took everything I had, therefore pushing the spasticity level to 11. Depending on equipment, 40 or 50 lb resistance is normal at gym...! After package was in truck I needed a few minutes before tightness eased and confidence to drive returned.

This kind of thing, an otherwise normal turn of event is no longer a few times a month. Now it's 3-4 times a week. One can point to the layoff we all have gone through. Some may say heat, it is 90+ daily. But recognizing the 500 lb gorilla and adjusting my mental attitude may be the better bet.

Anyhow.... Tonight, after Mass, trainer and I are going out to dinner. She' likes to chauffeur, no argument here. A nice place excepted our reservation on Thursday. So, fingers crossed (sans gloves), indoors at 25% capacity (mask needed to get in only!).

I'll leave the gorilla home.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                Anyhow.... Tonight, after Mass, trainer and I are going out to dinner. She' likes to chauffeur, no argument here. A nice place excepted our reservation on Thursday. So, fingers crossed (sans gloves), indoors at 25% capacity (mask needed to get in only!).
                Sounds fabulous!

Hope that you have a splendid evening, Jer!

(Glad that you have a designated driver.)

Comment

Mamabug - how nice you are able to get out more. Keep it going!

And Jer - I'm certain you'll be able to get to pre covid levels by August. Wish the covid was out the door by then! Wishful thinking...

Hope you had a nice dinner out!

Comment

To explain.... a friend sent two packages from the city. They arrived on two separate days. Each day was an event to carry package to truck. Maybe 20 lbs. each and slightly awkward. Took everything I had, therefore pushing the spasticity level to 11. Depending on equipment, 40 or 50 lb resistance is normal at gym...! After package was in truck I needed a few minutes before tightness eased and confidence to drive returned
                    Jer, carrying a package while walking can be a complex activity for persons with MS (no matter how much the package weighs). Can't really compare it to your gym resistance equipment, unless you walk while using them.

I use a firm-seat rollator for walking, and am able to transport items on it. I used to put my trash bag on it and push it to the dumpster. Now, I put my trash bag on it and push it to the front door, for my sister to take to the dumpster.

Also used it to transport my groceries from the car to my apartment (my sister does my grocery shopping now).

In any case, things got easier for me when I got the rollator.

I was wondering, does your right arm issue prevent you from using a rollator (hopefully you don't mind my asking)?

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                      Jer, carrying a package while walking can be a complex activity for persons with MS (no matter how much the package weighs). Can't really compare it to your gym resistance equipment, unless you walk while using them.

No argument here. Thinking the non response or no response to a command (lift right foot) is more prone to occur when my mind is occupied elsewhere (using bum arm to hold the package). May entertain some way to do a few things at once, as long as it is safely done. Trainer often request reps alternating sides (arm & legs) as opposed to 30 reps of one side then the other, for this exact reason: brain to different muscle group.

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                      I was wondering, does your right arm issue prevent you from using a rollator?

Yes, I think so. Arm defaults to 90 degrees unless I unbend it with other arm. I can willfully extend it an additional 15+ degrees with serious mental focus. Exercise sometimes loosens the arm up a bit, probably sheer exhaustion. I went with trekking poles vs cane for this reason too, although since gym is open, I'm back on treadmill and have not practiced with poles in weeks.

KoKo, thank you for your concern and thoughts regarding the unending adventure MS provides! On a brighter note... Dinner, restaurant, company and service were excellent. I created a memory and memories count!

Comment

Yes, I think so. Arm defaults to 90 degrees unless I unbend it with other arm. I can willfully extend it an additional 15+ degrees with serious mental focus. Exercise sometimes loosens the arm up a bit, probably sheer exhaustion.
                        Jer, I was thinking, I'll give you some of my extended arm ability, in exchange for a little bit of your clenched hand ability, so I can get a good, long lasting grasp on my walker handle bar. (I have to adjust my hand frequently.)

On a brighter note... Dinner, restaurant, company and service were excellent. I created a memory and memories count!
                        Happy to hear that!

Comment

Hello everyone, my sincere apologies for being AWOL. It was heartwarming to feel the love from you guys in your posts. I'll try not to make my disappearances a habit.

Nice work making your goals Koko. Breathing is probably the single most important thing you'll do today and it is the key to good stretching.

Good to see you back in the garden Seasha, hitting those goals while picking veggies and Raspberries.... Its a great feeling to pick the "fruit" of your labor.

Mamabug...looks like you are out of the slump you were in a while back, that's Awesome to see, great job.

Solid work as always Jer, the challenges we overcome daily make those types of evenings out enjoyable. Gotta stop and smell the roses every now and then.

Last I reported I had some pretty aggressive goal for my vacation (renovacation) week which I did none of. I was up at dawn and going to bed and 11-12 every night but my wife and I got a lot done. We changed the flooring in our bedroom, bathroom and closet along with 3 doors and all the trim. We're still not 100 % but we are close. So in the name of diplomacy, I skipped Jiu Jitsu, didn't run and we didn't take any waks either.

This week was better for my goals, which were:
                          2 nights of Jiu Jitsu....done
                          2 runs at 3 miles each, accomplishe 1 @ 3 miles (man it's hot out there)

I've been slacking on my stretching, haven't done any yoga in what seems like eternity. SO... I'll say I made partial goals. See you guys Thursday. Keep it going.
                          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                            SO... I'll say I made partial goals. See you guys Thursday. Keep it going.

Bourdeaux! Thanks for the update. I think you are doing practical stuff (flooring / doors & trim) which, in my opinion is often harder than the routines we tend to establish and label exercise. Like Seasha and her garden, they can be rewarding as well as tiring.

Comment

Boudreaux Glad to see you back! The renovation sounds challenging and I think you achieved a lot of exercising with that, so kudos to you!

And give yourself a break - 3 nights of Jiu Jitsu and your running doesn't sound like a partial goal - especially in the blistering heat!! I vote for a full goal

Comment

Working...
                              X