Amitriptyline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amitriptyline

Does anyone have any information about Amitriptyline? My primary just ordered it for my IBS, but I seem to remember my first neuro sending me home with a prescription for this med way back in 2001.

Any side effects or screwy issues to watch for? Any interactions with other meds like Synthroid?

Thanks.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Originally posted by marti View Post
    Does anyone have any information about Amitriptyline? My primary just ordered it for my IBS, but I seem to remember my first neuro sending me home with a prescription for this med way back in 2001.

Any side effects or screwy issues to watch for? Any interactions with other meds like Synthroid?

Thanks.
    Hi Marti,

I haven't used Amitriptyline, but do use Nortriptyline which is closely related.
    My med is prescribed for neurogenic pain. I also take Gabapentin for neurogenic
    pain, and together they seem to deal with facial and tongue pain.

Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline are old school tricyclic antidepressents. Just like
    Gabapentin and Tegretol are really anti-epileptic meds.

Somebody must have tried them for nerve pain and found that they worked, or noticed
    that folks taking them for an antidepressant had less pain.

The only side effect I seem to have had from my med is heartburn. I was instructed to
    take it at bedtime (because it's usually prescribed for bedtime since it's supposed to help with sleeping too.) But when I took the med at bedtime I would wake up with heartburn.
    The neuro said just take them mid afternoon, and my problem was solved. It must have been taking them, then lying down that triggered it.

I have heard they can cause drowsiness, but don't seem to do that for me.

What symptom did your doctor prescribe them to treat?

I use 3 meds for pain in my upper body, specifically 2 for my facial neuralgias.
    I have a baclofen pump but it does nothing for my upper body, so I take low dose baclofen to help with spasticity in my upper body. Then I started on Gabapentin years ago,
    and finally about 2 years ago, another neuro in the group added the nortriptyline (they sent me to him to see if botox can ever be used for the facial neuralgias/neuritis...trigeminal and glossopharyngeal...the answer is "No, never, No", at least not by him.)

I was still getting breakthrough pain in my face/tongue, so he added the Nortriptyline, and together they work.

Comment

Amitriptyline

I've been taking Amitriptyline for years. I take 100 mg at night for insomnia. I take it along with another med and taken together I can sleep.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
        Hi Marti,

I haven't used Amitriptyline, but do use Nortriptyline which is closely related.
        My med is prescribed for neurogenic pain. I also take Gabapentin for neurogenic
        pain, and together they seem to deal with facial and tongue pain.

Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline are old school tricyclic antidepressents. Just like
        Gabapentin and Tegretol are really anti-epileptic meds.

Somebody must have tried them for nerve pain and found that they worked, or noticed
        that folks taking them for an antidepressant had less pain.

The only side effect I seem to have had from my med is heartburn. I was instructed to
        take it at bedtime (because it's usually prescribed for bedtime since it's supposed to help with sleeping too.) But when I took the med at bedtime I would wake up with heartburn.
        The neuro said just take them mid afternoon, and my problem was solved. It must have been taking them, then lying down that triggered it.

I have heard they can cause drowsiness, but don't seem to do that for me.

What symptom did your doctor prescribe them to treat?

I use 3 meds for pain in my upper body, specifically 2 for my facial neuralgias.
        I have a baclofen pump but it does nothing for my upper body, so I take low dose baclofen to help with spasticity in my upper body. Then I started on Gabapentin years ago,
        and finally about 2 years ago, another neuro in the group added the nortriptyline (they sent me to him to see if botox can ever be used for the facial neuralgias/neuritis...trigeminal and glossopharyngeal...the answer is "No, never, No", at least not by him.)

I was still getting breakthrough pain in my face/tongue, so he added the Nortriptyline, and together they work.

Thanks for the good response. I hate to hear about heartburn as a side effect. That's part of the reason for the script in the first place. I have Gastritis and IBS. I'm no stranger to heartburn. But, I think I will try it. If nothing else it might help me sleep.
        Marti

Comment

Originally posted by gellexi View Post
          I've been taking Amitriptyline for years. I take 100 mg at night for insomnia. I take it along with another med and taken together I can sleep.

I hope this helps.

I've had insomnia for years and have used a lot of different meds. Now the doctors don't want to order some of them anymore because I've aged. But my primary ordered this one to try to help with IBS pain. So, I guess I'll try it. I am sure my first neuro ordered it on the first day of my dx. But I don't remember anything about it now. If it helps even a little bit with sleep or pain it will be worth it. Thanks.
          Marti

Comment

It was prescribed to me years ago for residual pain from ON behind my right eye. Then it hit the left so I stayed on it. I used to take 100 mg at bedtime and currently take 75mg at bedtime. I have no side effects, interesting about the heartburn, (usually everything gives me heartburn but this doesn't). The only thing is I have to take it at bedtime because it makes me VERY tired. It puts me to sleep and keeps me asleep so I get a good one most times. My doc told me that "back in the day" it used to be prescribed as an antidepressant in much higher doses.
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
              It was prescribed to me years ago for residual pain from ON behind my right eye. Then it hit the left so I stayed on it. I used to take 100 mg at bedtime and currently take 75mg at bedtime. I have no side effects, interesting about the heartburn, (usually everything gives me heartburn but this doesn't). The only thing is I have to take it at bedtime because it makes me VERY tired. It puts me to sleep and keeps me asleep so I get a good one most times. My doc told me that "back in the day" it used to be prescribed as an antidepressant in much higher doses.

Wow... my script is only 10mg! I finally tried it last night. Seems to be okay.. helped me to sleep somewhat and I'm not completely zonked this morning. Thanks.
              Marti

Comment

Glad to hear it helped with sleep. It's one of those drugs that "wears off" by morning so there's no pill hangover.

Comment

So far the Amitriptyline is working fine for sleep. I guess it must work on the pain too, or I wouldn't be sleeping at all. It seems to be gentle without morning fog. I'm not taking it every night. Do you think I should?? I'm always afraid to take too much medicine.
                  Marti

Comment

If your prescription says you can take it every night then I would follow the prescription instructions. If it's only prescribed "as needed" you should ask your doc. I do take it every night, fortunately it's not addictive.

Comment

Working...
                    X