Exposure to DMTs Does Not Increase Risk of Severe COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exposure to DMTs Does Not Increase Risk of Severe COVID-19

Exposure to disease-modifying therapies does not increase multiple sclerosis (MS) patients’ risk of developing a severe form of COVID-19, according to a registry-based study.

However, MS patients who are older, obese, or have severe neurological impairments have a greater risk of developing a severe form of the disease.

Findings were reported in the study, “Clinical Characteristics and Outcomes in Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 and Multiple Sclerosis,” published in the journal JAMA Neurology.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...ts/2020/06/29/
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Thanks for sharing, Koko. That's encouraging. Because I'm still under 60 and not overweight, perhaps my risk of getting COVID or having a severe case if I do get it is low.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Reassuring KoKo. Thanks
      It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Just read this from the NMSS that came through my email today: (underlining and bold print from me)

People with MS have asked for guidance on the use of disease modifying therapies (DMTs) during the COVID-19 pandemic. DMT decision making varies significantly from country to country, ranging from highly provider-directed to a collaborative decision-making model.

The National MS Society believes DMT decisions should be individualized and made collaboratively between the person with MS and their healthcare provider. These discussion include considering disease factors, risks and benefits of the DMT and risks associated with COVID-19.

Before starting on any new DMT, people with MS discuss with their healthcare professional which therapy is the best choice for their individual disease course and disease activity in light of COVID-19 risk in the region. The following information should be considered during decision-making:

Interferons (Avonex, Betaseron, Extavia, Plegridy, Rebif) and glatiramer acetate (Copaxone) are unlikely to impact negatively on COVID-19 severity. There is some preliminary evidence that interferons may reduce the need for hospitalization due to COVID-19.

The limited evidence available suggests that people with MS taking dimethyl fumarate (Tecfidera), diroximel fumarate (Vumerity), teriflunomide (Aubagio), fingolimod (Gilenya), ozanimod (Zeposia) and siponimod (Mayzent) do not have an increased risk of more severe COVID-19 symptoms or death.

Therapies that target CD20 – ocrelizumab (Ocrevus) and rituximab (Rituxan)may be linked to an increased chance of being admitted to hospital or requiring intensive care treatment due to COVID-19. This preliminary finding requires further investigation.

More data on the use of natalizumab (Tysabri), alemtuzumab (Lemtrada) and cladribine (Mavenclad) during the COVID-19 pandemic are required to make any assessment of their safety.

People with MS who are currently taking ocrelizumab (Ocrevus) or rituximab (Rituxan) and are living in a community with a COVID-19 outbreak should be extra vigilant and may want to consider self-isolation to reduce their risk of infection.

People with MS who are currently taking alemtuzumab (Lemtrada) or cladribine (Mavenclad) and are living in a community with a COVID-19 outbreak should discuss their current lymphocyte counts with their healthcare professional. If their counts are considered to be low they should isolate as much as possible to reduce their risk.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/co...y&utm_content=
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks for posting this detailed information.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
          X