Never been on a medication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never been on a medication

I was diagnosed in 2004, had a rough first 3 years, changed my diet, and I am essentially symptom free- work full time, exercise often, etc.

My neurologist retired, my new neuro really wants me to consider Aubagio. I attribute my success to diet and I am not sure how beneficial the drug will be looking at the statistics. I am leaning to saying no thanks. Any advice is appreciated.
    Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Wow! I'm happy for you for having a mild case after all these years and glad you found a diet that helps you. As the old saying goes: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", so maybe you should stay on course with what you've been doing all along.

All my best!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Twenty Miles View Post
      I was diagnosed in 2004, had a rough first 3 years, changed my diet, and I am essentially symptom free- work full time, exercise often, etc.

My neurologist retired, my new neuro really wants me to consider Aubagio. I attribute my success to diet and I am not sure how beneficial the drug will be looking at the statistics. I am leaning to saying no thanks. Any advice is appreciated.
      Hi Twenty Miles

Glad to know that you have been doing well!

I agree with Seasha, assuming that your MRI's have been clear.

Wishing you continued good health.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
        Hi Twenty Miles

Glad to know that you have been doing well!

I agree with Seasha, assuming that your MRI's have been clear.

Wishing you continued good health.

Take Care
        With the new neurologist she sent me for a brain MRI and a neuropsychological examination. She could see the same areas from my last MRI in 2008, nothing new and nothing enhanced. The neuropsychological exam was as normal for my age, some minor memory stuff within normal limits.

I plan to continue with my approach reducing autoimmunity triggers and tell her no thanks on Aubagio.
        Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

With the new neurologist she sent me for a brain MRI and a neuropsychological examination. She could see the same areas from my last MRI in 2008, nothing new and nothing enhanced. The neuropsychological exam was as normal for my age, some minor memory stuff within normal limits.
          Sounds terrific!

I plan to continue with my approach reducing autoimmunity triggers and tell her no thanks on Aubagio.
          And remember, you can always change your mind in the future, if you decide that you do want to try a DMT.

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I agree with your plan. I was dx'ed on October 1, 2002 and have not taken any DMT's.
            The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
              I agree with your plan. I was dx'ed on October 1, 2002 and have not taken any DMT's.
              There are so many new medications compared to 10 years ago. The longterm benefits aren't statistically significant. Plus I prefer not dealing with the side effects.

My new neurologist has me second guessing. My old neurologist told me to stay with what I was doing because it was working. He was willing to prescribe medication, but never "sold" any certain one. I like the new doctor, she just caused me to reflect on medications again.

Comment

It's a great idea to re-visit your options from time to time.
                The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

I'd be interested to know what your neuro says when you ask that question. If you're stable, what benefits are there to being on a med? Also, what side effects and possible risks?
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                  X