Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 6/23/20

Still filling in for Mamabug this week.

Last week we had 3 check in - 1 did not make their goal, 1 made partial goal and 1 barely made goal.
    Boudreaux, we missed you last week and hope you're doing well!

This group is great for encouragement. It's not about how successful we are. Just that we're trying.
    We are a small group and hope more of you would like to join us!!

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

I made my goal of recovering from being sick and weak from the flu and managed to get some exercise in.

Recovery baby steps include:
    I got out to the garden quite a few times, thanks to my new scooter, and weeded and picked baskets of strawberries (yum). I also managed to thoroughly clean my kitchen and bathrooms. While I was sick, my dh did his best, but that's not really his forte

Next week I will do more, I'm sure.
    Hope you all had a much better week than last!

Comment

Hello everyone

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      I made my goal of recovering from being sick and weak from the flu and managed to get some exercise in.

Recovery baby steps include:
      I got out to the garden quite a few times, thanks to my new scooter, and weeded and picked baskets of strawberries (yum). I also managed to thoroughly clean my kitchen and bathrooms. While I was sick, my dh did his best, but that's not really his forte
      Seasha, I'm glad that you are recovered and that you have regained strength!

You got a lot of exercise in last week. Gardening and housecleaning are excellent workouts.

Happy for you that your scooter is working well for you!

I had a very good week, and made goals. Taking the extra rest days has paid off, and the motor fatigue in my arms and legs has gone away. I still did daily stretches, and also performed my usual daily activities for 30 min at a time, 6X a day.

I was concerned, (for a hot minute), that the weakness might be here to stay. It's amazing what a little rest can do.

I'm going to try 4 days of exercises next week, and see how it goes.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

4X (Next Week): In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

Perseverance and peace of mind to all.
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi everyone!

Glad you are feeling better this past week Seasha, and again... happy the scooter is opening up your world! We need a new photo, don’t you think? Where are those grandkids?

And KoKo looks like a pretty nice week! Good for you!

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
        I was concerned, (for a hot minute), that the weakness might be here to stay. It's amazing what a little rest can do.

And I know what you mean unfortunately...

The week started well having got back to gym, I was anxious to see if cardio fell-off, but it really did not. Some core work afterwards (60 reps / sit-ups on decline bench at mild angle). So next day I did same routine, Cardio: 30 + minutes, then sit-ups but with a mild increased angle. Felt FINE Wednesday, ran a few chores.

Spent Thursday with friend over, conversation, then dinner followed by a worthless Netflix film… bed. NO movement aside from AM stretch routine.

Today was bad. Even after modified stretch routine. Sever spasticity / stiffness to the point of wincing pain.

My only positive thought is that Thursday was spent without movement. This inactivity, after 3+ miles of cardio at start of week = Spasticity etc.? If not that, then I’m entering a new phase.

Boudreaux… hope all well with you and the fam! Like you often say, keep it moving!

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
          And KoKo looks like a pretty nice week! Good for you!
          Thank you Jer!

Today was bad. Even after modified stretch routine. Sever spasticity / stiffness to the point of wincing pain.
          Oh dear, sorry to hear that, Jer.

My only positive thought is that Thursday was spent without movement. This inactivity, after 3+ miles of cardio at start of week = Spasticity etc.? If not that, then I’m entering a new phase.
          Yes, it could be caused by the inactivity, or something else may be triggering the spasticity, Jer.

This list of spasticity triggers really opened my eyes about spasticity. For example, I had a small sore on my foot one time, and my legs were very spastic until it healed. I never would have thought that a small sore like that would be a trigger for severe spasticity in both of my legs!

Check out this list, if you feel like it.

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/spast...icity-triggers
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Sorry for the late check in and my apologies for skipping out on you guys last week.

Glad you're feeling better Seasha and are able to get out in the garden and pick those strawberries. Nothing like enjoying the fruits of your labor....literally!

Great news that the weakness has subsided Koko and you were able to get it done. Stretching and rest are vital.

Looks like you got a good bit of activity in Jer followed by a visit with a friend, nothing wrong with taking a day off to enjoy company. I'm sure the spasticity will be gone with a little stretching and rest.

I've been really busy with work and also had a successful week toward my goals all things considered.

1 night of Jiu Jitsu and 1 run for three miles. That's it and that's all. I'll try to do better for next week. Keep it going.
            The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

KoKo A good strategy of taking some rest days to get your strength back! Hope this fix can keep you going.

Jer I hope the spasticity has lessened for you, but up to that point it seems like getting back to the gym was successful. And btw, I wish I could take a photo with grandkids and me on my new scooter but at this time in history, it's not possible.

Boudreaux Good to see you back and good job making your goal amidst a heavy work load!

Mamabug We miss you and I'm sure you are getting some exercise in being surrounded with grandkids. I miss that so much myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                Sorry for the late check in and my apologies for skipping out on you guys last week.
                Yay, you're back!

Glad you could squeeze in a few minutes from your busy life, Boudreaux.

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                I've been really busy with work and also had a successful week toward my goals all things considered.

1 night of Jiu Jitsu and 1 run for three miles.
                Tres Bien!

Comment

Working...
                X