Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Your Heat Intolerance Get Worse?

Hey All,

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed that their heat intolerance gets progressively worse over time?
    I've been pushing myself within my limits for years and always start the day early when it is cooler. I've noticed the last couple of years that heat is steadily becoming more and more of an issue for me. I am SP and know I am getting weaker but lately I can only work until maybe 80 degrees and then I turn into a limp dishrag!

When I get warm I do not have much strength and my walking and balance become very bad! I sure enjoy winter better than summer! The forecast for the next week here is in the 100's with an extreme heat advisory, not fun!

Hey MS TOO

Originally posted by MS TOO View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has noticed that their heat intolerance gets progressively worse over time?
    Yes, definitely. As the MS progresses (nerve signals become more and more impaired) it has become increasingly more difficult for me to function when too warm.

I have to keep cool (borderline chilly) in order to function to the best of my ability.

But, I am cold intolerant as well (my muscles stiffen up to where I can barely move), so there's a pretty small window, temperature-wise, for my ability to function.

Does the humidity affect you as well, MS TOO?

I have a difficult time with high humidity, and also with a dew point above 62.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

KoKo,

Humidity definitely makes things worse for me as well! Fortunately I live in an area that is very dry but weather is going to be one of the deciding factors of where I will retire to very soon. I am working 4 days a week still, with my Neuro requesting a reasonable accommodation, and telecommuting has worked well for me. I hope to be allowed to telecommute all summer so I don't have to get out into the heat. I'm sure my Neuro would support if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by MS TOO View Post
        I am working 4 days a week still, with my Neuro requesting a reasonable accommodation, and telecommuting has worked well for me. I hope to be allowed to telecommute all summer so I don't have to get out into the heat. I'm sure my Neuro would support if needed.
        Good for you that telecommuting is working out well, and hope it continues all summer, MS Too!

Take Care
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Both humidity and heat dramatically impact me. That makes Texas' summers hard on me. Heat intolerance is probably the symptom that has the biggest impact on my daily life. I would say that each year it's gotten a tad bit worse, but I do a better job managing my exposure.

I have multiple cooling vests, but normally if I keep my head cool then I am ok. I wear a "headache hat" when outdoors most of the time. I carry a small vornado fan and battery pack with me when I go places. That gives me anywhere from 2 to 5 hours of fan power depending on settings. More than enough for a church meeting or restaurant meal.

I'm sorry you are struggling in the heat and I believe many of us can relate. I wish you well...

Comment

I used to be a sun worshipper back in the day, but those days are long past. I live in more of a temperate zone with humidity tolerable and also suffer from Raynauds (cold affects me greatly), but I think aging for me as well as MS makes the heat intolerable. I can't even imagine living in a 100 degree climate! There is a small window of temps that keep me comfortable.

I used to chuckle at my elderly dad who put on sweaters when it was 68 degrees. Now I understand.

Glad you can telecommute and stay cool at home, MS TOO. Hope your neuro backs you up with your request!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

[QUOTE=Marco;1526619Heat intolerance is probably the symptom that has the biggest impact on my daily life.[/QUOTE]

Thinking out loud here.... About Marco's statement (and KoKo, MSTOO, others).

Are we saying that lesion location resulting in a symptom (re: drop foot, spasticity, optical issues etc.)... also applies to the symptom of heat intolerance? And further, as KoKo seems to say, that the progress of MS will soon lead to heat intolerance or acute heat intolerance?

My Neuro seems to be able to smugly point to a location on spine to ID a lesion responsible for a muscle loss. If I was heat intolerant could he do the same? Point to an area of my brain (controlling my perception of temperature, I assume) and proclaim a short circuit...!?

Also Marco, an aside... since you have the pump, and have alleviated spasticity for the most part.... When in gym, AC on, do you work up a sweat? Get heated up? Is this kind of heat similar to TX heat or different, ie: exercise>fatigue.

Comment

A brief explanation

From Cleveland Clinic Website:

Multiple Sclerosis (MS): Impact of Temperature Variations

Heat or high humidity can cause many people with multiple sclerosis to experience a temporary worsening of their symptoms. Extremely cold temperatures and changes in temperature can also affect MS symptoms.

How does heat or humidity impact people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Heat or high humidity can cause many people with MS to experience a temporary worsening of their symptoms. Doctors believe that this occurs because heat causes nerves (whose myelin covering has been removed by MS) to conduct electrical signals even less efficiently.

For reasons that are not well understood, extremely cold temperatures and changes in temperature can also cause MS symptoms, usually spasticity (muscle stiffness), to flare.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...ure-variations

Comment

Hello Jer

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                  And further, as KoKo seems to say, that the progress of MS will soon lead to heat intolerance or acute heat intolerance?
                  I can only be certain of, and share, my own experience with MS progression and heat intolerance.

Others may have a different experience.

Take Care

Comment

Here's a recent article from the summer Momentum magazine about "Acing temperature control"

http://momentummagazineonline.com/ac...ature-control/

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                      Here's a recent article from the summer Momentum magazine about "Acing temperature control"

http://momentummagazineonline.com/ac...ature-control/
                      Thank you Seasha - great article!

This info from the article might help to answer Jer's question.

"Evidence suggests that heat sensitivity becomes more common as the disease progresses, but not in everyone. If you have fairly mild symptoms, you may be able to tolerate the heat better than someone with more severe symptoms, Dr. Carter says. And he points out that people who already have difficulty walking may find that their mobility worsens dramatically after as little as a few minutes in high temperatures.

“People with more mobility issues tend to have more nerve damage, so it’s like you’ve got less to work with when you get overheated,” Dr. Giesser says.

In some cases, it’s also possible to temporarily develop symptoms you haven’t had before. “If you have an area of damage that’s functioning normally under normal conditions, it could get worse with heat. But those symptoms should disappear when your body temperature is cooled,” Dr. Giesser says. So, for instance, you could have lesions in a “silent area,” like the part of your brain that affects cognition, which could produce symptoms only when you get overheated."

Comment

Within 5 years of the onset of my first major symptoms, I had to start avoiding direct sunlight. it took another 10 years before I had significant heat intolerance (assuming I stayed out of the sun), but high heat here is usually just in the 80's. I've learned to avoid it whenever possible, so I spend a lot of time inside with the AC, and I keep my house thermostat set at 63 year 'round.

Comment

This is worth repeating in case some to not know about this program! For information on grants to receive cooling equipment and an online application visit - https://mymsaa.org/msaa-help/cooling-products/

Many people with multiple sclerosis are heat sensitive. MS research has proven that heat and humidity often aggravate common MS symptoms. MS research has also proven that cooling the body can help lessen the negative effects of heat and humidity on a person with MS.

The MSAA Cooling Program offers cooling vests and accessories for adults with multiple sclerosis as well as children diagnosed with pediatric MS. Cooling vests are commonly worn over clothing and contain insulated pockets that hold small ice packs. MSAA also offers smaller products to wear under clothing as well as accessories to help cool the neck, wrists and ankles. MSAA provides these products at no charge and items are shipped directly to the client. If you have any questions, please call MSAA at (800) 532-7667 or email clientservices@mymsaa.org.

Comment

Thanks Seasha!

I would have said that my heat sensitivity has remained about the same, but the prior 2 days were brutal. I went for my early walk at 6:30am, and it was tough then. I was out around 9:00am, and really rough. I was struggling with dizziness and heightened numbness/pain. Once I cooled down it went away.

I am not sure if it was because the humidity was so high,and/or that it is so early in the season to hit 90, and/or that my heat sensitivity has increased.

I just hope it is not a sign for the season.
                            Kathy
                            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Also, it's important to note that for some of us with heat sensitivity, even a slight elevation in core body temperature (one-quarter to one-half of a degree) can cause a worsening of symptoms.

Prolonged activity indoors, warm shower, heavy bed covers, cooking, and even eating a hot meal (especially with hot pepper / spices) can warm up our bodies, and temporarily worsen symptoms in some of us with MS.

Take Care

Comment

Working...
                              X