Heat exhaustion questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat exhaustion questions?

Yes I AM an overacheiver always have been thus dx of MS DOES get in the way of my life. Been going out to work in the yard at 5am (still a little dark then). However, by time I get all my tools and seating appratus to be able to sit and dig, shovel, or hoe it's plenty light enough to see what I'm doing. I do hydrate while out. I also wrap a bandana around the back of my neck with ice cubes in it it. This does help. I can only manage heat up to around 71 degrees.

We have our house temp set at 68 degrees. Hubby and dog have to stay wrapped up or I have to run around naked with floor fans on me in every room. Scary sight very scary at my vintage age. bahahahaha

I can only work abt 3 hours before heat/and back issues force me to give up and go inside. I am sorry to report the other day I over did it with more hours outside. Thus believe I had heat exhaustion. Syptoms were headache, nausea, dizzy, and threw up several times. So next day took day off to recoup. Sad because today I missed my 5am window and when I woke up already 86 degrees and feels like 90 degrees. Well reality set in telling me no way am I gonna be able to DO anything outside today thus will have to work inside.

Questions folks:
    1. Do you agree I probaly had heat exhaustion or could be something else (guessing it doesn't matter at this point right?)
    2. Suggestions for cooling devices that might help with this? I have a Steele Vest which I bought many many years ago but needs new ice packs. What are the latest help with heat control?

Stay cool and calm during these trying times as this too shall pass. I just hope for all of us it is quickly.

Hi jkforrest,

Sorry this happened. Sounds like you are doing everything you can to accomplish your yard workI The only other things I could suggest would be spraying yourself with a mister, drinking electrolyte replacement solutions, such as sport drinks, or a portable, battery powered fan. They range in all kinds of sizes. Ice packs might help, instant ones you activate when needed, or gel ones you can reuse. There are all kinds of gadgets nowadays, a quick internet search will bring up all sorts of them.

Originally posted by jkforrest
    Do you agree I probaly had heat exhaustion or could be something else (guessing it doesn't matter at this point right?)
    Yes, "Syptoms were headache, nausea, dizzy, and threw up several times" are all signs of heat exhaustion. I have heat intolerance and have never had those symptoms. My MS symptoms just get worse, namely my ability to move. My husband had to rescue me once when I couldn't get up and carry me back inside to cool off in the a/c. Thank goodness my cellphone was within reach to call him and he wasn't far away! I had heat stroke once when I was kid. Don't remember a whole lot other than freaking out my mom, who doesn't get rattled easily. I felt sick, threw up and passed out from the heat.

Sorry, but I don't have experience with a cooling vest to help you with that.

Originally posted by jkforrest
    Stay cool and calm during these trying times as this too shall pass. I just hope for all of us it is quickly. right? )
    Couldn't agree more!

Best of luck finding solutions.
    Last edited by pennstater; 06-10-2020, 06:11 PM. Reason: Per Kimba's request
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi jkforrest,

I had heat exhaustion once when I used to run years ago. Your symptoms are definitely a possibility for it. Your vomiting shouldn't have lasted long to be part of heat exhaustion.

I have always been a sweater, get it genetically. I use a cooling towel on the neck. I also have a baseball hat that you can run under cold water and it has a cooling gel that gets activated.

I also take a frozen plastic water bottle out when out for a while. I will place it on my neck or wrists to help cool myself off.

Hope the weather breaks soon for you!
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I have no better suggestions than what you've received but I just wanted to say how impressive it is that you're working in the yard, in the blistering heat, getting heat exhaustion (I agree, that's what you had). Not only THAT but then you ask for suggestions to keep cool so you can keep on haulin'! Well done! Bless you as you continue to keep on keeping on!
        Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
        X