How do you beat the blues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you beat the blues?

I've been really having difficulty trying to stay grateful, positive, "in the moment", etc., everything that I usually do to "beat the blues." But, I've been quite low as of late.

I figured I'd reach out to my MS friends to see if they have any "tips" for me to "beat the blues." It's been challenging lately and it's affected my sleep now. So, I figured I'd reach out for some tips.

What do you do for a "pick me up?"

Thanks, in advance, for your input!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

For me, I notice when I stop journaling and writing 3 gratitudes to start my day for a period of time, I get a little bluer. So I go back to doing this.

I am also a nature lover, especially any body of water. So I walk in a local park and take time to stop by the creek and just listen to the water flow.

If I can't get out, then I like to look at pictures from trips - takes me to a different place and time. And pictures of water😀

I also limit my news intake and social media for a few days.
    These are a few things I like to do outside the normal things like exercise, catch up with a friend or family member, prayer, etc...

Hope you start to feel better.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

There's a lot going on in the world today that can make us all feel blue, dm.

I know that getting outside with nature can pick me up, hands down. Also getting exercise is known to raise our endorphin levels - the happy hormone! Exercising outside works wonders for me.

When it's too cold and rainy (or too hot) outside, I enjoy a good comedy on TV or stick my head in a good thick novel. I bake sweet goodies - preferably with chocolate Maybe not the healthiest, but makes me happy.

Staying in touch with friends and family helps too - especially during this time when many of us have to be physically isolated.

Do you have a hobby right now? Maybe dream up a new one that you've been putting off?
      Hope your "blues" is short lived. Getting a good nights sleep will help too.
      Thinking of you~~
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I work with a lot of licensed social workers and something one of them said really stuck out to me. I get a lot of anxiety and i start worrying about everything. he said "you are going through the event twice. the first time when you are worried and thinking about the possibilities and then the second time when the event actually happens. Why would you go through something twice?"

So I try to brush things off until the event occurs even though easier said then done. Besides that, just a lot of facetime with family, going outside to soak up some sun and recognizing when i need "me" time and taking it.

best of luck and hang in there!
        Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
        Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

Originally posted by dm0329 View Post
          I've been really having difficulty trying to stay grateful, positive, "in the moment", etc., everything that I usually do to "beat the blues." What do you do for a "pick me up?"

Hi dm0329,

I think that the blues are inconvenient at times, but they often lead to recollection and then contemplation.

Pennstater mentions pictures > different place or time, this can lead to recollection, etc.

Seasha brings up exercise (better outside!) to alter your body's chemical balance leading to a better mindset.

I think the blues are useful. A different perspective. An affirmation at times or just a pause... to review?, better decernment. Actually your own motto says a lot about how to take what life gives us.

The blues are not a bad thing, just another thing to learn from.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            Hi dm0329,

I think that the blues are inconvenient at times, but they often lead to recollection and then contemplation.

Pennstater mentions pictures > different place or time, this can lead to recollection, etc.

Seasha brings up exercise (better outside!) to alter your body's chemical balance leading to a better mindset.

I think the blues are useful. A different perspective. An affirmation at times or just a pause... to review?, better decernment. Actually your own motto says a lot about how to take what life gives us.

The blues are not a bad thing, just another thing to learn from.
            Well said! To be happy and upbeat all the time is not realistic nor authentic.

It's Ok to be sad and blue as long as it doesn't overtake your well-being over an extended period of time causing you to fall into a bottomless pit with no knowledgeable tools available to pull yourself back up.

If and when that happens, a licensed therapist is there to help.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I was feeling really down end of last year. I chose to not see my friends ("What can I add to any conversation?", "Who wants to hear from me? I'm so negative.") as well as not do activities that I enjoy ("It's too much bother to get going and it's not going to help me".). The final straw was when I realized that even I didn't want to be around me. I saw my family doc and she prescribed a mild antidepressant. I felt it work on day 3. All of a sudden that grey cloud hanging over my head and that feeling of dread started to lift. Basically it leveled me out, there were no deep lows and no feeling like something bad is going happen. I was able to plan stuff to do again and follow up on my commitment to myself to do it, something that being depressed took away. I'm even coping well with the pandemic.

It's not for everyone and if not, I really hope you find that one thing (or 2) that eases your mind a bit and that you can enjoy.

Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Hi Jen,

Glad you sought help! When feeling low is long lasting and affects your daily living, it is more than a little blue. Really happy that you saw a quick benefit and have been able to get back to living.

Thanks for sharing!
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                X