New career selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New career selection

Since my MS diagnosis attack took me out of my livelihood, even tho I’m stable and no disabilities I’m trying to figure out my next step.

i was thinking of a n RMT (registered massage therapist) I’ve tossed so many ideas I need to do something.

i don’t want to let MS Hold me back.

id appreciate any advice/help on this matter, I exercise, run and weightlift regularly

much appreciated

DMTs appear to be delaying time to progression. Of course, there are people who haven't progressed at all, with or without DMTs.

Have you asked your neurologist for some guidance on physical versus sedentary career choice? Likewise, more cognitive difficulty versus physical difficulty?

Regardless of career choice, you want to do all you can to stay as physically and mentally fit as you can. Thoughts:
    • Go for a career you will enjoy irregardless of your MS diagbosis
    • Consider a career that you would be able to do if physical progression occurs.
    • Consider a job that is more routine and repetitive if cognitive issues are a concern
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Ant --

Kathy gave you some good advice regarding what factors to consider when looking at a new career. I don't know a lot about the RMT field; perhaps that would be a good fit.

Losing one career must have been difficult. There are often feelings of grief that accompany that. I hope you can find something else that will be a fulfilling replacement.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
        i don’t want to let MS Hold me back.
        That is a positive attitude and am pleased to see you say it. I hope MS never holds you back and wish you well with your life.

i was thinking of a n RMT (registered massage therapist)
        I am unable to guide you in what field to go into but I have learned quite a bit about becoming a Massage Therapist.

My Daughter decided to go back to school to become a Massage Therapist(MT). Her goal is to go into the medical side of this Profession with the hopes of working within a Neurological practice.

Being a MT means learning Tai Chi (learned as part of your class work) as you need to stand for long periods of time and also protect yourself from injury (back problems, etc.). You are constantly moving in Tai Chi positions during Massage Therapy.

There are classes in learning how to give massages to those with/without health issues and medications can also be a consideration in how you work with a patient. Then you have classes learning different areas of the body and how it functions, including Neurologically.

If you feel this sounds like something you would be interested in then by all means go for it
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Excellent replies

Thank you so much for all your helpful replies, I found an excellent course with a Chinese traditional medicine RMT program and interested in pursuing. They teach the proper way of doing it which increases longevity in the career. Getting MS and losing my whole livelihood due to balance on scaffolding with my MS it’s just not the same up there, not going to risk further injuries from a fall.

The only thing that keeps me interested in this field is my MS is stable, I run, weightlift, eat a good diet and my neurologist said he’s not worried about me. Tecfidera seems to keeping me this way and I have pretty much 0 symptoms, just balance is slightly been damaged.

losing a livelihood from MS has been an immense struggle for me and my personal finances are in shambles and very hard to stabilize, I’m trying to figure out this puzzle of how I can restore a normal life. I just need to pick something I could enjoy doing and make a decent living from. It’s a long road and I will reach my goal, this problem has been bothering me for too long

Comment

Sounds like you have done your research and have a plan. Sometimes taking that first step and committing to a goal is the hardest part. Myself, I struggle with decisions. I never used to.

Glad to hear that you are still stable and able to work out. Also glad to hear your neuro doesn't have concerns about you - that is a great feeling.

Lots of luck on your new journey
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X