The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 06-04-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 06-04-2020

I'm starting the thread this week, but still dealing with hubby's stress, anxiety and depression. Leaving in a few minutes to attend his therapy session with him.

I'll just let someone else report on how we did last week. I hope you'll all understand.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

(Filling in for Mamabug)

5 checked in last week and everyone met their goal!

This group is great for encouragement. It's not about how successful we are. Just that we're trying.
    We are a small group and hope more of you would like to join us!!

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Mamabug, I hope your husband will be OK. He is fortunate to have you and a therapist.

I had a good week. More gardening and everything is now all planted! Weeding has begun in all areas, including the landscaping- bush and flower beds. This is never ending, but I do enjoy it. I take all my frustrations out on those darn weeds - lol

Next week forecast calls for lots of rain, so my goal is to do more housework. It's been neglected.

Hope we all can report good results this week. Keep moving all!

Comment

Hello everyone

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        I'm starting the thread this week, but still dealing with hubby's stress, anxiety and depression. Leaving in a few minutes to attend his therapy session with him.

I'll just let someone else report on how we did last week. I hope you'll all understand.
        Mamabug I'm wishing the best for you and your hubby. Good to know that you're getting some help through therapy.

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        I had a good week. More gardening and everything is now all planted! Weeding has begun in all areas, including the landscaping- bush and flower beds. This is never ending, but I do enjoy it. I take all my frustrations out on those darn weeds - lol

Next week forecast calls for lots of rain, so my goal is to do more housework. It's been neglected.
        Seasha you're working really hard, and it will pay off with beautiful flowers and food, and a clean, tidy home as well! Super ways to get exercise!

I worked hard this week as well, with my exercises and daily activities, and accomplished my goals.

On my 4th day of exercises, I was tuckered out, so I took one of my rest days early. I then finished up my exercises on the following day. Sure need to have some flexibility with MS.

My walking seemed a tad bit more labored than usual on a couple of days, until I switched the A/C to a cooler setting. I don't like feeling chilly, but difficulty with walking - I like even less.

Still working diligently on my new 'arms above head' stretch. My left arm has to pull and hold my right arm up. I'm getting it stretched up a little higher, day by day.

The 'bend leg, place ankle up on opposite knee' (while sitting) stretch is going real well, with my tighter left leg getting looser and much easier to move into position.

My goals are the same for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

Peace of mind, perseverance, and patience to all.
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks for your supportive comments.

When his leave is over, hubby will likely request reasonable accommodations from his employer through the ADA. I hadn't realized that depression and anxiety would qualify him; we learned that from his therapist.

It's still possible they won't be able to accommodate him because his requests might involve
          - removing or eliminating an essential function from his job, or
          - lowering production standards.

We'll talk to her about it some more at his next appointment.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hello everyone, late to the party.....

Hey Mamabug- sorry to hear about Papabugs continued troubles. Hopefully the help he's getting will pay off soon, gotta have Faith...which you do....literally...sorry, I can't help myself sometimes.

Those weeds can be a pain Seasha, neverending is right.

Nice work recognizing your limits, resting early and then finishing strong Koko. Crank that AC up.

I switched some things up this past week and was pretty active. Work was a little more demanding so I didn't get any lunch break exercises in. I didn't get any runs in but replaced one run day with helping coach with the kids kickboxing program. The other got replaced with the "La Chismosa" (#51 I think) at the Mexican restaurant. Good times.

I also got two night of Jiu Jitsu in, it feels good to be back in the gi.

Keep it going.
            The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
              I switched some things up this past week and was pretty active. Work was a little more demanding so I didn't get any lunch break exercises in. I didn't get any runs in but replaced one run day with helping coach with the kids kickboxing program.
              Being active is the name of the game, Boudreaux! Helping the coach with the kids kickboxing program is terrific.

The other got replaced with the "La Chismosa" (#51 I think) at the Mexican restaurant. Good times.
              Could you elaborate, please?

I also got two night of Jiu Jitsu in, it feels good to be back in the gi.
              Good for you Boudreaux! You're back together with your main squeeze Jiu Jitsu.
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Looks like every one had their hands full but still made the best they could out of it!

I'm thinking... swapping a mile run for #51 wins, as far as trade-offs go! Mamabug, as it stands you & hubby are on road to a resolution, wishing you both the best in outcomes.

My week finished late.... Six days morning stretching @ 30+ minutes each.
                Three days afternoons @ 30 minutes each with spa ball, dumbbells, bands. A for effort but not outstanding, never less….

Another week without the gym / equipment meant a week of innovation here in beautiful NEPA.

Trainer supplied the innovation, I supplied the whimpering. One outdoor session: walking a mile+. A nice warm day with sun, birds, even honeysuckle in the air. Did pretty well. Better than treadmill because I hold onto the rail there. And I balance, or try to balance as I pick up that DUMB right foot. 75 minutes = exhaustion, grateful for tailgate.

One 2 hour indoor session with trainer using ankle / wrist weights / chairs and a 30-60-90 incline cushion. Much faster way to exhaustion! No worries, she effortlessly found a use for the additional 45 minutes!

Oh, Seasha... when trainer comes, I tidy up the "exercise" room (LR), FYI: I'm gonna count 20 minutes "tidying" as exercise. Gotta remember my vacuum = a small VW!

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                Still working diligently on my new 'arms above head' stretch. My left arm has to pull and hold my right arm up. I'm getting it stretched up a little higher, day by day.

Same for me KoKo. I do it laying down with wrist weight, arm hanging off bed. even then I need to use good arm to pull its brother.

Oh, Boudreaux... glad Ms. Jiu's back in town!

Comment

Could you elaborate, please?
                  From the menu....

LA CHISMOSA ESPECIAL

Steak, chicken, and shrimp served over rice with pico de gallo and topped with cheese

Good stuff.
                  The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                    My week finished late.... Six days morning stretching @ 30+ minutes each.
                    Three days afternoons @ 30 minutes each with spa ball, dumbbells, bands. A for effort but not outstanding, never less….
                    Jer, your effort is very admirable!

Don't worry about late (although I was thinking about getting a search party together) I rarely make the Thursday check-in, as that is my busy day when my sister comes over to help me with stuff.

Trainer supplied the innovation, I supplied the whimpering. One outdoor session: walking a mile+. A nice warm day with sun, birds, even honeysuckle in the air. Did pretty well. Better than treadmill because I hold onto the rail there. And I balance, or try to balance as I pick up that DUMB right foot. 75 minutes = exhaustion, grateful for tailgate.

One 2 hour indoor session with trainer using ankle / wrist weights / chairs and a 30-60-90 incline cushion. Much faster way to exhaustion! No worries, she effortlessly found a use for the additional 45 minutes!
                    You worked hard, Jer! Looks like your trainer is in lion tamer mode again.

I do it laying down with wrist weight, arm hanging off bed. even then I need to use good arm to pull its brother.
                    Stretching your arm with the weight makes sense. Do you think that it will help to get that arm fully straightened out, over time? That would be amazing, if so.

Thank goodness that we have the one cooperative arm to help us out.

Comment

From the menu....

LA CHISMOSA ESPECIAL

Steak, chicken, and shrimp served over rice with pico de gallo and topped with cheese

Good stuff.
                      Ooh, that does sound delicious! Thanks for elaborating, Boudreaux.

Comment

Stretching your arm with the weight makes sense. Do you think that it will help to get that arm fully straightened out, over time? That would be amazing, if so.

Thank goodness that we have the one cooperative arm to help us out.

KoKo.... short answer: no.

There are too many moving parts. Initial muscle contraction may have been more specific location and somewhat answerable to botox or maybe another muscle relaxer.

At this point many or all muscles in the entire group involved in movement are affected to different degrees. Skeleton structure of entire shoulder girdle is being pulled out of shape. Arm is twisted, as if offering an open palm. Arm really cannot rest against torso due to shoulder contractions. Curvature of spine breaking toward weak side may be a result of what I described, or more likely, the bad right leg.

Have to say that making the attempt has its rewards. Usually in early morning hours, not moving, I enjoy a stretched out relaxed arm. A product of having made a conscious effort to keep elbows locked through the night.

But the day begins and with it movement. Poof! all gone.

Comment

KoKo.... short answer: no.
                          Thanks for the very good explanation.

Much more complicated than just stretching the arm for awhile.

Many moving parts - various affected muscle groups, and muscles affected to different degrees. Skeleton structure being pulled out of shape, contractions, curvature of spine breaking toward weak side.

I do understand. Guess I was in 'overly optimistic mode' for your arm.

Comment

Great workouts KoKo, Boudreaux and Jer! Proud of you all with your efforts and perseverance!

Found some good quotes:

*Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.*
                            --Robert Collier (1885-1950), American self-help author

*It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.*
                            --Confucius (551-479 BC), philosopher

*Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.*
                            --Walter Elliot (1888-1958), Scottish politician

Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                              Found some good quotes:

*Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.*
                              --Robert Collier (1885-1950), American self-help author

*It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.*
                              --Confucius (551-479 BC), philosopher

*Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.*
                              --Walter Elliot (1888-1958), Scottish politician
                              Thanks for the inspiration, Seasha!

For the past year or so, every time I get up to do a task that I know will be effortful (which is most everything these days), I find myself uttering a phrase over and over that the nuns in grade school often used (second childhood? ).

Inch by inch, life's a cinch. Yard by yard, life is hard.

Funny, but it really does help me make it through.

Comment

Working...
                              X