It’s exhausting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s exhausting

What’s next? We’re all living with/through the Covid19 pandemic, which has been very challenging to varying degrees. Now I am stressed over the rioting taking place in Minneapolis. I live in a suburb and have 2 children who live in the downtown area. My daughter has been staying with us the past 2 nights and again tonight. My son has chosen to stay in his apartment. He mostly just hears sirens in the distance. I try to stay away from the news coverage but am always drawn back due to a news conference or some other event. It’s kind of like a car wreck, where you just can’t look away. I’ve always been a news junkie, so this is kind of in my wheelhouse. How are the rest of you coping?

Paula

Hi Paula,
    Yesterday I found myself very anxious and I didn't immediately understand why. Then I realized that I had the news on for several hours as background noise. Well, after turning it off and putting on some soothing music my anxiety relented.

Just like what we eat impacts our bodies and health, the same is true for what we watch and listen to. I need to limit my exposure to the news for my peace of mind.

The media has am agenda and that's to generate revenue and push an intended agenda. Every story is sensationalized, every few minutes there is "breaking news," all intended to keep your eyes glued to the television set.

Try reading a book, watching a movie, call an old friend to catch up, go for a walk, do nearly anything to avoid the 24/7 brain drain the news has become. I know it's not easy, but it's a habit like any other. Unfortunately, it's not a healthy habit...

I wish you well...

Comment

I've tried to tune out the news programs too. But I always go back to listening or reading the latest reports. I had one terrible experience when my blood pressure went sky high after watching a news report about a celebrity who had the same surgery I had back in 2008! When you have an anxious mind anything can trigger a response. I understand you!
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Coping is hard.

COVID 19
        Social distancing, living with two introverts during this time
        No grandchildren for an unknown length of time
        Hubby going through big anxiety and depression issues related to major job description changes. May quit job and look for lower paying one.
        Etc

Solutions. Idk
        I work on resiliency strategies.
        - Healthy eating
        - Seeing or calling other people, even if its only virtually.
        - Meditation, deep breaths
        - Playing piano
        - Trying to increase exercise
        - etc
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
          Yesterday I found myself very anxious and I didn't immediately understand why. Then I realized that I had the news on for several hours as background noise. Well, after turning it off and putting on some soothing music my anxiety relented.

Just like what we eat impacts our bodies and health, the same is true for what we watch and listen to. I need to limit my exposure to the news for my peace of mind.

The media has am agenda and that's to generate revenue and push an intended agenda. Every story is sensationalized, every few minutes there is "breaking news," all intended to keep your eyes glued to the television set.

Try reading a book, watching a movie, call an old friend to catch up, go for a walk, do nearly anything to avoid the 24/7 brain drain the news has become. I know it's not easy, but it's a habit like any other. Unfortunately, it's not a healthy habit...
          Excellent! Well said, Marco.

Ultimately, we are responsible for our own mental diets.

It's a waste of precious time and mental/emotional energy to ruminate on the things that we have no control over.

I take in just enough news to be well informed, and then move on to enjoying other activities.

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I am struggling. The riots here were very violent on Saturday with cars flipped and on fire. Every store in the city just about destroyed and looted. Spread into the suburbs as well.

Last night was supposed to be bad but Mayor called in additional 200 law enforcement officers from the state to assist. Today rumors circulating that our jail in danger.

Did i mention my brother is a police officer and my sister is a corrections officer? Both holding the line. Never been in so much fear in my life then past 48 hours. I haven't slept and probably won't again tonight.

This all need to end peacefully to start bringing everyone together.

For a chuckle- Saturday night there was a report our lion escaped zoo and was walking around downtown. For a minute i believed it and the next i wished it was real because people may have gone home. Curfew mandate didn't do much to save our city.
            Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
            Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

Such stressing news for you and Paula (above) and everyone witnessing this first hand. It's stressful enough watching it on TV. My panacea is to watch the news to stay informed, then switch to the cooking channel. Easier for me, but not for those being affected. Please stay inside and keep safe!!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Yes; so distressing.

Keeping you, Paula and Jennaly, in my thoughts and prayers. 🙏

I have a friend who has an adult daughter, married with two kids. They live just blocks from the riots in Minneapolis; it was their local Target that was burned.

Such scary times, right on top of COVID scares, job losses, financial worries, etc.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I highly recommend small town life!!
                  Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

If it is far away and just something you read about in the news you can tune it out. I just feel sorry for those who have violence marching down their street.

In general, this is a very sad time for the human species. If we let covid-19 get out of control we are in trouble. Between the virus, the riots and global warming we are reaching chaos of biblical proportions.

This, too, will pass. The people in the streets have a message and the world needs to listen.

Comment

We were away for a week with the tv and internet out for a week. We knew a little of what was going on from some locals and updates from a family member in Philly. But we weren't really aware.

My heart goes out to all in affected areas. I pray for the peaceful protesters and I pray for all the good law enforcement officers. But if you riot or loot or abuse your power, I have no empathy for you.

I am a news junkie as well, but found the change of pace was really good for me. So going to limit my intake now, just a check in the morning and evening.

Stay well all. Do what you need to to
                      take care of yourself!
                      Kathy
                      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                      X