Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fainting Spells

Hi All,

Although I experienced fainting spells in my early twenties (I obtained a definite MS dx at age 25), I would frequently faint when I would get out of the shower. I would quickly wake up on the floor after showers in the mid-mornings. Thankfully, I didn't get hurt, but it was quite strange.

Something made me think of it recently (I've never even discussed this with my neuro as it's never been an issue with me after my early twenties), but I was CURIOUS if anyone here at MS WORLD had similar events in their past? Just "fishing for answers" I guess.

Thanks, in advance, for your input!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Hi dm039,

This sounds like vasovagal syncope. Vasovagal syncope (fainting) occurs because your body overreacts to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress. It may also be called neurocardiogenic syncope. At one it was even called church syncope, because of it happening after people stood a long and became overheated at church.

Simply put, vasovagal syncope is a miscommunication between the heart, the blood vessels in the lower extremities, and the brain. It's the most common cause of fainting, and occurs in both children and adults. Some people only have one or two episodes in their lifetime, while it could be a more chronic condition for others.

The vasovagal syncope trigger causes your heart rate and blood pressure to drop suddenly. That leads to reduced blood flow to your brain, causing you to briefly lose consciousness. When laying down, blood flow is quickly restored to the brain, restoring consciousness. My assumption is the heat of the shower was your trigger.

Vasovagal syncope is usually harmless and requires no treatment. But it's possible to injure yourself during a vasovagal syncope episode. Sometimes there's a correlation to MS, but it's not very common from what I understand. This is something you should definitely bring up with your doctors if it were to happen again. Your doctor may then recommend tests to rule out more serious causes of fainting, such as heart disorders.

Here is a good article for you about it:

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-...l-syncope.html
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks a million, Kimba!

Perhaps you have a medical background, because that is a wonderful answer. Yep; I suppose it is related somehow to MS. And, definitely showering was the trigger (too hot perhaps?).

Again, thank you! And, Happy World MS Day (May 30)!

Blessings,
      Donna
      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

I collapsed in the 7th of 8th grade and fell right over a desk. They took me to the Coach who tried to get me to "confess" what drug I had taken. He was unrelenting threatening me with urinalysis tests and all kinds of nonsense until my father got there. We never knew what happened, but it didn't happen again until nearly 20 years later.

I was at work and "lost my balance" while using a dolly to move boxes for a coworker. I caught myself before I dplatted, but didn't think much of it. Within the next few minutes, I had two more episodes and woke up on the ground surrounded by my coworkers.

Human resources called 911 and I was ordered to go to the ER. After a number of tests the resident informed me that I had an enlarged heart and was at risk of dying at any moment. He said, "you know how these professional athletes are fine one moment and then dead the next of a heart attack? Well that's what you got."

I followed up with my PCP and they ran every test imaginable and found nothing. They had me do a heart stress test and I outlasted the test at the highest setting. Next they gathered all of my test information and sent me to see a top notch cardiac surgeon. After reviewing all of my medical records, test results and examination he said, "I think you have "vasovagal syncope." Being ignorant of the term I looked at him quizzically (maybe with some fear) and he smiled and said, "you fainted."

For the next few months I walked around dreading the next episode, but it didn't happen, until it did. Eleven years later I "tripped" on perfectly level pavement and went down. I got up walked a few more steps and went down again. People came to my aid, but there was nothing they or I could do about it. That was about 10 years ago and honestly don't think about it.

The day may come when I go down again, but there's nothing I can really do about it. Now if I start to feel uneasy I will sit down wherever I am and I mean wherever. Yup, that was me sitting my rump down in Aisle 3 of the grocery store. Yup, that was me sitting down on the kitchen floor during a house party. I have zero pride when it comes to this area of my life because waking up face down sucks a lot more than sitting down and having a few people look at you quizzically.

Vasovagal syncope, it's a thing.

Comment

Church Syncope

When I went to church as a child in the '60s, I would occasionally see someone pass out during mass. I fainted once at church when I was about 9 years old. The first and only time I ever fainted. But I remember very clearly seeing it happening to other people and wondering why. Now I have a term for it.

Comment

In the last couple of years I have had the feeling that I was about to pass out, but didn't. The room was swimming, my head felt clogged and woozy. This just happened again last week. I was sitting at my computer, eating ice cream and I almost went out. Somehow I never pass out. Your post and the replies are interesting. I have a terrible time with dizziness or vertigo almost every day and have insomnia which leads to total exhaustion. Hope to hear more good advice or explanations here. Thanks for the post.
            Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by dm0329 View Post
              I was CURIOUS if anyone here at MS WORLD had similar events in their past? Just "fishing for answers" I guess.

Thanks, in advance, for your input!
              Yes! Multiple fainting incidents in the early months after my initial flare. 2002, age 39. (Initial flare was BIG, but didn't result in a dx until almost two years later.)

Once I even fainted down our steep basement stairs.

No fainting since then. In my 29's, I used to faint at things like seeing blood or other medical stuff. That stuff still makes me queasy and light headed. But I haven't fainted for 18 years.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
              X