• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 05-28-2020

6 checked in last week.

1 set goals for next week.
    5 made goals.

We're all trying. I'm still not where I want to be. But I'm continuing to set achievable goals so that I have an opportunity to succeed.

This group is great for encouragement. It's not about how successful we are. Just that we're trying.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

My goals were: track and report and work on resiliency.

I made goal. I did some PT strength training at home. Some walking laps in the house. My watchband broke on my Garmin so I don't have steps data.

Resiliency is going ok. I continue to have a better mood and attitude than in the past. Much of my current energy is focused in supporting hubby. He's been going through great anxiety and depression in recent months due to changes in his job duties.

His symptoms have continued to worsen. He us currently on meds, seeing a therapist through the Employee Assistance Program, off work for a number of weeks with a doctor's note.

I'm glad that I'm feeling somewhat better so that I can be a support to him. We've done some things together that help both of us -- going for a drive, taking"walks", etc.

Same goal. I might be able to add attending a Silver Sneakers class next week; I think it will be restarting.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Nice to see you making headway Mamabug. Sorry to hear your husband is going through a rough patch. There's bond to be brighter days ahead.

I had a successful week.
      2 nights at the gym, still no grappeling but we're getting closer.
      2 runs. 1@3 miles and 1@2 miles.

The two mile run was actually 2 one mile runs I did as part of the Murph challenge on Memorial day.

I'm averaging 11.8k steps a day and my goal as the leader in the connect group is simply not going to happen. I'm in 5th place with about 460k steps for the month and that's about 215k behind the leader.

Keep it going.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Great going, Mamabug, but sorry to hear about your husband. Walks, talks and therapy will surely help.

And Boudreaux- glad you had a successful week! I may have asked before, but what is the Murph challenge?

I also had a successful week. I have most everything planted in the garden and greenhouse, but the abundance of weeds are the challenge now. Rainy days I was doing more sorting, cleaning and organizing cupboards and closets.

I will continue with my same goals for next week.
        Stay safe and active everyone!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Made Goals

Hello everyone

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
          I made goal. I did some PT strength training at home. Some walking laps in the house.
          Fantastic, Mamabug!

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
          I had a successful week.
          2 nights at the gym, still no grappeling but we're getting closer.
          2 runs. 1@3 miles and 1@2 miles.
          Terrific, Boudreaux!

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          I also had a successful week. I have most everything planted in the garden and greenhouse, but the abundance of weeds are the challenge now. Rainy days I was doing more sorting, cleaning and organizing cupboards and closets.
          Marvelous, Seasha!

It's so nice to see all of the great efforts to exercise by everyone. Well done, Goalposters.

I had a successful week as well. We had heat, humidity, and high dew points here, but the A/C was able to take care of it - thank goodness.

I always put off turning the A/C on until I have to (I like feeling warm, but my nerve signals don't like it). It still amazes me how difficult it is just to move my arms and legs, or even just stand, when too warm, and how much better I do when cool.

I'm in a pretty good groove with my exercise routine, and aim to keep it up next week. My newest leg stretch is getting a little easier to do, week by week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

Perseverance and peace of mind to all.
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi everybody. Looks like we are all moving along at a steady pace.

Glad For the upbeat post Mamabug! I’m sure that you’ll lift your husbands spirits, everything is temporary after all. Sasha: if it wasn’t for weeds my “lawn” (Ha) guy would have nothing to mow. And Boudreaux it’s possible that @ 800k steps / month, the leader probably strapped the Garmin to his bike pedal.

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
            My newest leg stretch is getting a little easier to do, week by week.

And KoKo, I believe that a good focused stretching routine IS exercise! Glad for your renewed efforts!

I made my goals somewhat differently this week. The daily stretching (6x this wk) stayed the same. My 5 day attempts at 30+ minutes each didn’t happen.

I actually exceeded the time (5+ hours) over the week though…. My trainer came to house and we got one 2 hour session in. Gotta say it was uplifting AND discouraging. Cannot imagine my routines @ gym, once “normal” returns. The plus in the home visit was an assisted stretching routine. Little comes close to being held in a stretch, slowly giving in... and just when you think you have no more to give... you give a bit more. Walkin' tall here!

Things are getting a bit better. My county is now in "yellow," not really sure what that means but may be a reason for a drive round the burg.... Weather is dealing cold days / hot nights then vice versa! Have no idea what to make of it. Rumor has the State Store opening .... could be loose talk

Comment

Hey there, Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
              And KoKo, I believe that a good focused stretching routine IS exercise! Glad for your renewed efforts!
              Thanks! And I agree - stretching is exercise, since it involves several physical moves and takes energy to do them.

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
              I made my goals somewhat differently this week. The daily stretching (6x this wk) stayed the same. My 5 day attempts at 30+ minutes each didn’t happen.

I actually exceeded the time (5+ hours) over the week though…. My trainer came to house and we got one 2 hour session in. Gotta say it was uplifting AND discouraging. Cannot imagine my routines @ gym, once “normal” returns. The plus in the home visit was an assisted stretching routine. Little comes close to being held in a stretch, slowly giving in... and just when you think you have no more to give... you give a bit more. Walkin' tall here!
              Outstanding effort, Jer!

When you're finished with it, deposit that walking tall feeling in your 'emotion bank', so you can draw on it when/if you experience a discouraging day.
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Glad to see you reporting Seasha and congrats on making your goals. The Murph is the workout if the day as prescribed by Michael Murphy. A Navy Seal that was killed in action while serving in Afghanistan. It consist of:
                1 mile run followed by
                100 pull ups
                200 push ups
                300 squats
                And a 2nd 1 mile run to finish it off.

It's supposed to be done with a 20lb vest or body armor on but that ain't happening.

Congratulations on another sucessful week Koko. You've been knocking it out of the park here lately.

Another solid week Jer. One 2 hour session, nice work. The guy leading the pack has daily long distance bike rides on his activity list, so maybe so Jerry. It's all good though right now I'm #5 and that's probably where I'll finish.
                Keep it going.
                The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                  The Murph is the workout if the day as prescribed by Michael Murphy. A Navy Seal that was killed in action while serving in Afghanistan. It consist of:
                  1 mile run followed by
                  100 pull ups
                  200 push ups
                  300 squats
                  And a 2nd 1 mile run to finish it off.

It's supposed to be done with a 20lb vest or body armor on but that ain't happening.
                  Wow Boudreaux - Now that is a workout! I can't even imagine this! And you did it!!

And Jer Good news for exceeding your goal. Keep walking tall!

And KoKo Your perseverance and consistency is so impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                    And KoKo Your perseverance and consistency is so impressive!
                    Thank you Seasha - your activities of gardening, greenhouse work, sorting, cleaning and organizing of your cupboards and closets are impressive to me (and exhausting for me to even think about!).

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                      Thank you Seasha - your activities of gardening, greenhouse work, sorting, cleaning and organizing of your cupboards and closets are impressive to me (and exhausting for me to even think about!).
                      HAHA - they are exhausting for me too! But, little by little it's getting done. These activities are my form of exercise. I really don't like to do standard exercising, excepting yoga and sometimes PT, so you and all sticking to a plan is impressive!

Comment

Working...
                      X