• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goalposters exercise check in thread 05-21-2020

5 checked in last week.

1 didn't make goals.
    3 made goals.
    1 did treadmill. (Sardi, it's good to have you back. I wasn't sure what your goals were. If you could add, in your weekly post, whether you accomplished goals or not, that makes recording easier for me. )

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    Last edited by Mamabug; 05-21-2020, 11:11 AM. Reason: Fixed thread title
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

My goals were: track and report. Work on resiliency.

Tracking Exercise
    PT at home: 2x
    Walked a few laps inside the house, or back and forth on back sidewalk: a few times
    A little bit of chair yoga: 1x
    Increased steps a little bit.

My Garmin fitness tracker is working on a daily basis, but it's not syncing with my computer for quite awhile, so I don't have weekly figures and I don't look at it every day lately. However, when I do, I've been walking 1000-1300 steps daily. Last month, it was often more like 600-800 steps. Even though I'm still not at my previous goal of 2000 steps per day, it's increased somewhat. That's good news.

Resiliency
    It's sort of a delayed report, but on Mother's Day weekend, I phoned two of my aunts in Canada, just to check in with them during these weird times we're going through. I had long, good conversations with both of them. I've felt a somewhat elevated mood since then, as compared to a more flat affect prior to that. Last weekend, I called another relative of my mom's and we also talked a long time.

On Monday, I invited my neighbor over with her two little girls and her newborn and we had a socially distant visit while they played in our outdoor playground. We used to do this more frequently (indoors or out), but hadn't for a long time.

I also have Zoom meetings for various activities each week (Sunday School, small group, In.Form health maintenance group, Circle of Hope volunteer group, etc). That helps, but it's not the same. Phone calls and a neighbor visit provided more of the people contact that this extrovert craves.

I continue to phone my Dad twice a week, do a video chat with my sister once a week and multiple video chats with my daughter and grandsons. (All of that is more than what I did prior to these recent months.) Those are crucial for me, but, those alone weren't meeting my needs.

Next week, same goals. Track and report. Work on resiliency. I hope to add more exercise to this, but I do believe that changing my focus from exercise to improving my mood through resiliency strategies has been the reason that I've been able to increase my exercise a little. I have a worksheet I created; maybe I'll try to include a larger variety of activities, in addition to continuing to look for people contacts that I can initiate.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi all!

Mamabug - I'm so glad your resiliency strategy is working for you and great news on your increased walking!

I am still gardening almost every day and have it almost completely planted. It's been extremely challenging though. This was the year my daughter was going to help me, but enter Covid19 and had to scratch that. My scooter that got me out to the garden broke down last fall and is not repairable, so walking out there adds to the challenge. Now, my irrigation hose is failing, so I'm having to water by hand.

But, I'm doing it and am pleased to reach my goals these past 2 weeks.
      Doing some housework when it rains and sleeping like a baby

Keep the goals coming in and keep your chins up
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Glad to see you making progress Mamabug.
        Good to see you posting Seasha, congrats on making your goals.

I made goals this week.
        The Gym is open and I got 2 nights of training in. Although we aren't grappling it's nice to be in the gym with my teammates working up a sweat.

2 runs done. One at 6 miles and one a 3 miles.
        4 evening walks with my wife for 11.8 miles total.
        16,264 average daily steps
        I was also able to increase my average daily sleep time to 8 hours and 8 minutes...BOOM.

keep it going.
        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Hi everyone

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
          Tracking Exercise
          PT at home: 2x
          Walked a few laps inside the house, or back and forth on back sidewalk: a few times
          A little bit of chair yoga: 1x
          Increased steps a little bit.

My Garmin fitness tracker is working on a daily basis, but it's not syncing with my computer for quite awhile, so I don't have weekly figures and I don't look at it every day lately. However, when I do, I've been walking 1000-1300 steps daily. Last month, it was often more like 600-800 steps. Even though I'm still not at my previous goal of 2000 steps per day, it's increased somewhat. That's good news.
          Good for you, Mamabug. Great effort and progress!

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          I am still gardening almost every day and have it almost completely planted. It's been extremely challenging though. This was the year my daughter was going to help me, but enter Covid19 and had to scratch that. My scooter that got me out to the garden broke down last fall and is not repairable, so walking out there adds to the challenge. Now, my irrigation hose is failing, so I'm having to water by hand.

But, I'm doing it and am pleased to reach my goals these past 2 weeks.
          Doing some housework when it rains and sleeping like a baby
          You certainly should be pleased, Seasha. You're working hard, even though it's very challenging. Super job!

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
          I made goals this week.
          The Gym is open and I got 2 nights of training in. Although we aren't grappling it's nice to be in the gym with my teammates working up a sweat.

2 runs done. One at 6 miles and one a 3 miles.
          4 evening walks with my wife for 11.8 miles total.
          16,264 average daily steps
          I was also able to increase my average daily sleep time to 8 hours and 8 minutes...BOOM.
          Looks like you had a terrific week, Boudreaux! Back in the gym, and lots of steps walking and running, and spending time with your wife. And sleeping well too, to top it off!

My exercises went well, and I've added a couple new ones to my routine. One is the torso and spine stretch - while seated, turn shoulders side to side. The other is the stretch of core and obliques - while seated, stretch arms up above head, then lean to each side. I have to modify the latter, since I have to manually hold my affected arm up, but it is a good challenge to get this arm stretched fully upward.

Keeping the same goals, with new ones included, for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

Patience, perseverance, and peace of mind to all.
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Well I snuck away.... shhhh.... my housekeeper is here! Been 11 weeks! Staying out of her way, truthfully avoiding exercise....

So here's da scoop:

6 days stretching with pole / wrist weights.

4 days exercise with mixed weight / spa ball(s) / pillow (balance).... and, yesterday did 1.4 miles, most without poles but with trainer. So, I made my goals but went a little bit easier as to time spent. But a better variety of work and success in including 1 or 2 exercises I hate.

Whether has been warmer in general and sunny days ahead or so I'm told. No gym here yet Boudreaux, sigh, glad some normalcy is coming back to Mississippi. And that KoKo, Seasha and Mamabug too! are active. Sardi! Hows the treadmill going?

Going to feel like a bear coming out of hibernation if this Covid'19 ever ends. Hey, had a black bear on the deck playing musical chairs last night.... don't tell the housekeeper.

Jer

Just a note to explain... my housekeeper would more likely want to pet it than run from it

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
              So here's da scoop:

6 days stretching with pole / wrist weights.

4 days exercise with mixed weight / spa ball(s) / pillow (balance).... and, yesterday did 1.4 miles, most without poles but with trainer. So, I made my goals but went a little bit easier as to time spent. But a better variety of work and success in including 1 or 2 exercises I hate.
              Da scoop is marvelous, Jer!

And, doing something each day that we really don't want to do, helps to build character and fortitude.

Hey, had a black bear on the deck playing musical chairs last night.... don't tell the housekeeper.
              Yikes!

Just a note to explain... my housekeeper would more likely want to pet it than run from it
              Housekeeper must be a real, true, courageous animal lover!
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Kudos to Boudreaux, KoKo and Jer!! Wonderful workouts

And Jer - I could use a housekeeper right now. I finally hired one who came on March 1st. Since then quarantine, so it's up to me again.

Comment

Again, thank you all for posting. I didn't do great. ONce on the treadmill.

Adderall was my lifeline. Without it, it's so hard to combat the ms fatigue, depression, and this new low thyroid issue. My neuro said he would prescribe it if my psych gave the go ahead but he won't bc it's risky with bipolar. So is depression! And debilitating fatigue! And waking up wary of another day. And hating myself which I know I shouldn't but I can't help it. I spend my life on a couch watching news and reading news articles. This isn't tenable. I'm waiting to see if the synthroid will do anything besides causing my hair to fall out. Showers were tedious enough now I see the clumps of hair and it's so upsetting.

Okay I'm giving into some self-pity I'm sorry for being a downer this probably isn't the right post for that but this is where I am. I'm not writing for help I'm just venting.

I think I'll set a goal of walking three times. I was skating last year. That time is over, maybe only for now I don't know but I think I'm grieving the loss of that activity. It used to be the one thing that could lift my spirits. I'm bummed about that.

But it's a new week. Maybe the recovery begins this week.

Comment

Originally posted by sardi_g View Post
                    Okay I'm giving into some self-pity I'm sorry for being a downer this probably isn't the right post for that but this is where I am. I'm not writing for help I'm just venting.
                    No problem, sardi. It's helpful for you to vent, and helpful for us to know what you are experiencing.

I think I'll set a goal of walking three times.
                    Yes, keep trying!

Yes, keep a hopeful spirit, sardi.

We've got your back.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

We've got your back.
                      Yes, we do! Walking 3 times is a good goal and venting is a good release. Just do what you can when you can.

Comment

Again, thank you all for posting. I didn't do great. ONce on the treadmill...

I've been in a slump too. But I keep coming back and trying.

And, I absolutely know that I have a much much better if coming out ofy slump if I keep posting here weekly. Even when I don't meet my goal.

I'm so glad you're here, Sardi. We're here to encourage each other. We're not competitors.

Yup; it's a new week. Maybe the recovery begins this week. 🏃🤸🏋️
                        ~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                        X