Exercise and Physical Activity Recommendations for ALL People with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise and Physical Activity Recommendations for ALL People with MS

Are you exercising? Are you getting enough based on your ability?

"Physical activity and exercise have been shown to be beneficial to people with MS, and are behaviors that contribute to wellness. Studies suggest that people living with MS are less active than those without MS. To provide the MS community with evidence-based guidance for promoting exercise and lifestyle physical activity, the National MS Society convened a group of experts in the fields of MS, exercise, rehabilitation, and physical activity to review available studies and develop recommendations for healthcare providers who can advise individuals with MS at all disability levels."

For recommendations (based on ability) and helpful videos, check out this link:

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...llNationalNews
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
    Are you exercising? Are you getting enough based on your ability?

"Physical activity and exercise have been shown to be beneficial to people with MS, and are behaviors that contribute to wellness. Studies suggest that people living with MS are less active than those without MS. To provide the MS community with evidence-based guidance for promoting exercise and lifestyle physical activity, the National MS Society convened a group of experts in the fields of MS, exercise, rehabilitation, and physical activity to review available studies and develop recommendations for healthcare providers who can advise individuals with MS at all disability levels."

For recommendations (based on ability) and helpful videos, check out this link:

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...llNationalNews
    Thank you for this info, Seasha.

Very helpful table of exercise recommendations based on abilities.

The videos on stretching, aerobic, and breathing are excellent.

I do exercise regularly, and it really is beneficial.

After viewing the videos, I now have a few more exercises to add to my routine.

Hopefully this info from the NMSS will inspire everyone to move to the best of your ability.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      ...develop recommendations for healthcare providers who can advise individuals with MS at all disability levels.

Thanks Seasha!

Very helpful. Although I didn't look at the videos, the EDSS charts and recommendations for the PT or the self motivated gave me an insight as to where I might be on the chart. On what to tweak or... maybe add?

Also... reminded me of the honest need to hear this from your neurologist upon dx.

My neurologist may now agree with current research, but back in '08, he was delinquent (...being kind here) in suggesting any activity on my part.

But, I entered MS with a healthy life style. Maintaining the proper attitude will allow for the physicality the future demands.

Comment

Thanks for the info Seasha.

I find that the more active I am, the more active I can be.
        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
          Thanks for the info Seasha.

I find that the more active I am, the more active I can be.
          I have been this way as well. Right now struggling as the fatigue I have had since January hasn't lifted. Getting some testing done to rule out causes. I don't want to just chalk it up to MS. Usually a walk or other exercises energizes me. But now, it does me in.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
          X