COVID-19 May Not Be Severe in MS Patients, Early Data from Italy Suggest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COVID-19 May Not Be Severe in MS Patients, Early Data from Italy Suggest

People with multiple sclerosis (MS) may not be at higher risk of developing a severe COVID-19 infection, according to preliminary data from patients in Italy.

“At the moment, these results seem to be quite reassuring for most people with MS” Marco Salvetti, MD, PhD, professor at Sapienza University and Sant’Andrea Hospital, in Rome, said in a press release.

Nevertheless, the early nature of these data must be taken into account. Evidence is also still lacking to determine how the use disease-modifying therapies (DMTs), sex, or simultaneous conditions (comorbidities) affect this patient population, the researchers noted.

Their study, “An Italian programme for COVID-19 infection in multiple sclerosis,” was published in the journal The Lancet Neurology. It was written by Maria Pia Sormani, PhD, on behalf of the Italian Study Group on COVID-19 infection in MS.

Findings come from the pilot phase of an international web platform, called MuSC-19 (Multiple Sclerosis and COVID-19), that is collecting clinical and demographic data, as well as information on DMTs, on MS patients who have symptoms and signs of COVID-19 regardless of a confirmed infection via nasal and pharyngeal swabs.

Study data covered 232 MS patients from 38 Italian centers who, as of April 7, had tested positive for COVID-19 (57 people) or were suspected of infection (175 people). Patients’ mean age was 44; most were women (69%), had relapsing-remitting MS (88%), and were being treated with a DMT (90.9%).

DMTs most frequently used by these people were Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate, by Biogen), 24.6%; Gilenya (fingolimod, by Novartis), 13.4%; Ocrevus (ocrelizumab, by Genentech and Roche), 11.2%; Tysabri (natalizumab, by Biogen), 10.8%; and, glatiramer acetate (Copaxone, by Teva, and Glatopa, by Sandoz), 10.3%.

The vast majority — 223 patients, 96% of the total group — had a mild infection, defined as mild or no pneumonia. The infection was severe in four people, 2%, all of whom had shortness of breath, respiratory rates of at least 30 breaths per minute, and blood-oxygen saturation levels of 93% or less. Six patients, 3%, had critical infection, defined as respiratory failure, septic shock, and multiple organ dysfunction or failure, and were hospitalized in an intensive care unit.

Most MS patients, 209 or 90.1% of all with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 cases, were not hospitalized.

Of the six critical patients, all diagnosed with the virus, one recovered and five (2%) died. Patients who died tended to have comorbidities, higher disability, and/or were age 50 or older.

Although preliminary, these data suggest that most MS patients are likely to have a mild infection, in step with the general population, and that DMT use may not raise their risk of a severe infection.

“These results appear to be slightly reassuring and do not seem to contradict guidelines that we and others had already issued on the management of multiple sclerosis treatments in the time of the COVID-19 pandemic,” Sormani wrote.

Data also support that MS patients “with comorbidity and disability combined with older age are exposed to the risk of a worse evolution of the disease … [and] therefore require special care in preventing infection,” Salvetti added.

The researchers emphasized, however, the preliminary nature of these findings, and that MuSC-19’s data will continue to be updated throughout the pandemic.

“People with MS bring their experiences of the disease to research: for this reason, I invite all people who have faced home infection to tell their experience to researchers, also through their general practitioners,” said Francesco Vacca, AISM’s national president.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...iple-sclerosis

Thank you Marco. This was a very interesting post. I feel fortunate to live in Italy with MS. The health care here is excellent and the costs of drugs is very low. I am grateful to see the research being done for those with MS and those on MS DMT's.

Comment

Thank you Marco!

Originally posted by loopey View Post
      I am grateful to see the research being done for those with MS and those on MS DMT's.
      Yes, it is great to know that studies and research are being done on the effects of Covid-19 and persons with MS.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post

“At the moment, these results seem to be quite reassuring for most people with MS” Marco Salvetti, MD, PhD, professor at Sapienza University and Sant’Andrea Hospital, in Rome, said in a press release.
        Yes; it is reassuring, even though the data is still early. Thanks for posting.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you Marco.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Thanks for such a relevant contribution. I had a little fun and read his report in its original Italian. Italy is the ideal laboratory for understanding the scary virus and they are ahead of us in medical research. Being in Rome during the outbreak he was able to see everything first hand.

It is good news but really mixed. Getting Covid-19 with MS is not a death sentence. That is reassuring. The part that was not so reassuring for us older folks is about the prognosis in people with MS after 50.

Since no one is safe from that virus I am treating it as though it us something I must avoid at all costs. People who have been on respirators struggle to recover so I think it could mean the loss of mobility and independence for someone with MS.

Comment

Dr. Barry Singer, (@drbarrysinger), a neurologist who directs The MS Center for Innovations in Care in St. Louis, has posed that question to his Twitter followers. Singer learned that some people with MS have been sickened by COVID-19, and the experiences they’re reporting from around the world seem encouraging.

Full article here: https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...-social-media/

Comment

Working...
              X