Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 05-07-2020

5 checked in last week.

Many of us are adjusting goals and finding ways to move. Some of you are doing awesomely!

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

My goals: track and report. Work on resiliency. Thtt seemed to help me get out of my funk maybe. I didn't really exercise more, but my attitude is somewhat different.

1x PT
    1x chair yoga
    A few times: walk laps in my house

Same goal next week.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I honestly didn't track this week of what I did, but I know that I kept active all week long. Garden work on nice days, housework on rainy days. Stretching all week long/ some yoga.

I think I'm going to report here every 2 weeks or so for awhile. The same goals, the same level of moving, exercising, stretching, etc.

Keep up the good fight all!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

I think I'm going to report here every 2 weeks or so for awhile. The same goals, the same level of moving, exercising, stretching, etc.
        I'll miss you. I look forward to our small group checking in every week.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Hello everyone

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
          My goals: track and report. Work on resiliency. Thtt seemed to help me get out of my funk maybe. I didn't really exercise more, but my attitude is somewhat different.

1x PT
          1x chair yoga
          A few times: walk laps in my house

Same goal next week.
          Mamabug, looks like you're moving through this funk, with some attitude adjustment. You'll be where you want to be soon. Keep persevering.

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          I honestly didn't track this week of what I did, but I know that I kept active all week long. Garden work on nice days, housework on rainy days. Stretching all week long/ some yoga.
          Seasha, terrific effort with your active week, great job!

I had a good week, and accomplished my exercise goals. I am thankful for every day that I'm able to achieve my exercises, chores, and enjoyable activities - as each day is challenging, yet rewarding.

I've made very good progress with my hip/glute/upper thigh stretch. It is such a nice feeling to put in the effort, and then to experience tangible improvement. I know that I can't let up with this stretch, or this leg area will revert back to super tight in no time.

Staying with the same goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk/Stand with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, and Lower Back Exercises

Good energy, health, perseverance, and peace of mind to all.
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Congrats to you all and thank you for posting bc it's inspiring and does help me to refocus again.

I've been on a rollercoaster having gone from severe hyperthyroidism to current hypothyroidism bc maybe the first therapy overshot? Both conditions caused/cause worse than normal fatigue.

Good news: Now I'm on synthetic hormone which hopefully will get me in a healthy range. Plus I invested in a treadmill! Although I developed weird bruising on back of legs soon after starting - maybe from all the weight gain.

So I'm going to simply walk on it for a while.

So I want to walk half an hour every day this week.

See you next week!

Comment

Hi sardi!

Originally posted by sardi_g View Post
              Good news: Now I'm on synthetic hormone which hopefully will get me in a healthy range.
              Good luck with the new hormone med - hope it helps.

Plus I invested in a treadmill!

So I'm going to simply walk on it for a while.

So I want to walk half an hour every day this week.
              Sounds like a great plan, sardi!
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Mamabug! Glad you feel that you're getting out of that funk, maybe the better weather in Kansas will add to your upbeat feeling? Or maybe the resilience approach is bearing fruit!?

And Seasha feel free to skip a week here or there, just know that I'll miss you.

Had a fine week considering the weather.

Got 6 days of 30 minute stretching sessions each AM. Developed 30-35 minute exercise routine for afternoons, 3x this week. So an hour plus most days... not the gym /pool time but solid and consistent for 2 weeks now as opposed to "hit-and-miss" approach. Like the idea that I had to overcome adversity (read "lazy"). And that I had to THINK my way into what I really need which is usually what I HATE to do.

Again... best part; 2x (days), the only semi-sunny / no rain days... Walked 2.5 miles, most without trekking poles but with cheerleader. Took 1 1/2 hours on these days and I felt it. But somehow the days following the walking; Hip flexor seemed present to me, there when I called upon it?! The saga continues....

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                I had a good week, and accomplished my exercise goals.... I've made very good progress with my hip/glute/upper thigh stretch. It is such a nice feeling to put in the effort, and then to experience tangible improvement. I know that I can't let up with this stretch, or this leg area will revert back to super tight in no time.

This is great KoKo! Boudreaux's stretch helped. Perfect example of "People helping People!

Comment

Welcome sardi- glad to have you here!

The treadmill is a wonderful investment.
                  I hope with the hormone medication, you reach your goal, lessen your fatigue and discover a new better you!

Mamabug, Koko and Jer - great goals met Keep it going!

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                    Got 6 days of 30 minute stretching sessions each AM. Developed 30-35 minute exercise routine for afternoons, 3x this week. So an hour plus most days... not the gym /pool time but solid and consistent for 2 weeks now as opposed to "hit-and-miss" approach.
                    You're doing a splendid job with your workouts, Jer!

I thrive the best by being solid and consistent as well (routine) with exercising.

Like the idea that I had to overcome adversity (read "lazy"). And that I had to THINK my way into what I really need which is usually what I HATE to do.
                    That sounds like a bit of determination, perseverance, and resiliency.

Again... best part; 2x (days), the only semi-sunny / no rain days... Walked 2.5 miles, most without trekking poles but with cheerleader. Took 1 1/2 hours on these days and I felt it. But somehow the days following the walking; Hip flexor seemed present to me, there when I called upon it?! The saga continues....
                    Good for you, Jer! I'm sure that your cheerleader felt good about your accomplishment as well.

This is great KoKo! Boudreaux's stretch helped. Perfect example of "People helping People!
                    Yes it is!

Not quite sure if I'll get the second part of the 'thread the needle' accomplished, though.

As it stands now, my functional arm/hand has to hold my ankle/leg up on the other bent leg. In a perfect world (body) my ankle/leg would stay up on the other leg by itself without assistance, and my arm would be available to 'thread the needle' and pull the other leg up to my chest.

But, in any case, for now anyways, doing the first part of this particular leg stretch is a very beneficial achievement!

Comment

So I'm going to simply walk on it for a while.... I want to walk half an hour every day this week. See you next week!

Hi sardi_g,

Glad that you are going to join our little group. Good luck with the one-a-day approach. You may want to judge by first day time... I mean that if after 20 minutes, you feel it, use 20 minutes for remaining days.

I'm considering your aforementioned bruising. If all goes fine, add some time next week.

We all have the rest of our lives. Keep moving but rushing isn't necessary or very helpful. It will be there tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                        my functional arm/hand has to hold my ankle/leg up on the other bent leg. In a perfect world (body) my ankle/leg would stay up on the other leg by itself without assistance, and my arm would be available to 'thread the needle' and pull the other leg up to my chest.
                        K,

Get an elastic band (12" or 13"), sit upright on the floor. Bring poor leg to a position that you can easily pull band up to calf muscle. Now, while still upright, position poor leg on top of good knee, grab band behind good leg and wrap around poor foot.

This should hold poor leg exactly where you want it. Lay onto back and "thread the needle" to improve the stretch.

Reverse for other leg. Hip / Pelvic area should benefit.

J

Comment

My apologies for the late check in.

Sometimes showing up can be the hardest part. Thanks for keeping us going Mamabug.
                          Seasha is to busy getting after it to take notes on her stats....good job.
                          Congrats on checking the box Koko.
                          Hey Sardi- My wife deals with Hashimotos and those thyroid hormones can be a formidable opponent. Hopefully your treatment will give you some stability.
                          Discipline is the only way I get through those hated activities Jerry. Solid work.

My only goal for the month of May is to finish the month in the #1 spot in the group that I'm a part of through the garmin connect app. I'm currently #4. I've kinda been crusin though (a carry over from the last few weeks)....I need to step it up. Keep it going y'all.
                          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                            My only goal for the month of May is to finish the month in the #1 spot in the group that I'm a part of through the garmin connect app. I'm currently #4. I've kinda been crusin though (a carry over from the last few weeks)....I need to step it up. Keep it going y'all.
                            I know you can do it B! We're rooting for you

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                              My only goal for the month of May is to finish the month in the #1 spot in the group that I'm a part of through the garmin connect app. I'm currently #4.
                              Walking, moving those legs and getting a lot of steps in, is great exercise. Good Luck Boudreaux!

Comment

Working...
                              X