Employment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment question

So I will try not to be too longwinded. I actually quit a job last October. Quit before being fired. I quit because they had these metrics that said in a perfect world you should get all this "productive," and I wasn't getting all that.
    I quit and had a hearing for disability.
    Fast forward six months. I got a call today from a job I applied for when I was fired from my career. This would be a position in the same field as my chosen career/degree.
    The main problem I see though is that this is an overnight job.
    When my wife got home today and I was putting the chair up after chatting on here she accused me of being in there applying for jobs.
    I had already applied. I did that on my phone earlier.
    So what does everyone think. My family thinks I should be on Social Security. I would love that, but at the same time I want/need to work. Tell me what you think.

Forgive me if my reading comprehension is a little off but did you quit or were you fired?

Did you have an SSDI hearing? If so what was the outcome? Your family can think you should be on SS all they want, doesn't mean the administration will agree.

If it were me and I was able, I'd work.
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Why does your family believe you should be on disability? An MS diagnosis in itself is not a reason. SSDI has a specific criteria related to MS. We're you granted SSDI then? Does your neuro support your disability filing?

I guess the questions to ask
      1. At your last job, were you not meeting production standards because they were unrealistic or were you working out of your field of expertise?
      2. Is the new job you are considering similar to the one you quit or something you feel you can succeed at?
      3. Have you noticed any changes in your abilities that affect job performance, either physically or cognitively?
      4. If your abilities have changed, is it a job you can still do or could with reasonable accomodations?

For me, I knew I could no longer work when I exhausted job accomodations and could no longer get thru 5 day work weeks on a consistent basis. I would rest all week-end, start Monday ok, down hill after that.

Only you can take that hard look at your abilities and determine where you are at. I still miss working for the challenges and the social interaction, but know I can't sustain full time work.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

My family thinks I should be on SSDI. As you mentioned the Social Security Administration does not agree. I quit that last job. It was a matter of quitting before I was fired. They had their idea of what all you should get in a perfect world. I was not getting all the "production" they thought I should be getting in a perfect world.
        As far as the neuro goes my initial neuro would have supported me. That was before these last several jobs. If I had not listened to my wife I would have gone out on Long Term Disability befiore all this happened.
        My current neuro doesn't go with the idea, or rather the NP doesn't.

Comment

lukeduke,

Regardless of what your family thinks, if SSDI doesn't agree, there are not alot of choices. It sounds like you were denied then based on your hearing?

Without your neuro's support, it will be hard to get disability. They need to send in forms stating not only why you can't do your job, but any job. You may want to have another discussion with the neuro and no and highlight your difficulties.

I am not sure of timeline for disability appeal, but if you are in that window, it may be worth a consult with an SSDI attorney. Should be free and they are only paid if your claim is successful. For that reason, they tend to take cases they think can succeed.

Also, if you do have difficulty in a job, from a disability standpoint, it may be better to let them fire you, especially if it is that you can't meet the requirements of the job. That would help with evidence. When you quit, there is no evidence. Of course, this is just my opinion and not legal advice.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
            lukeduke,

Regardless of what your family thinks, if SSDI doesn't agree, there are not alot of choices. It sounds like you were denied then based on your hearing?

Without your neuro's support, it will be hard to get disability. They need to send in forms stating not only why you can't do your job, but any job. You may want to have another discussion with the neuro and no and highlight your difficulties.

I am not sure of timeline for disability appeal, but if you are in that window, it may be worth a consult with an SSDI attorney. Should be free and they are only paid if your claim is successful. For that reason, they tend to take cases they think can succeed.

Also, if you do have difficulty in a job, from a disability standpoint, it may be better to let them fire you, especially if it is that you can't meet the requirements of the job. That would help with evidence. When you quit, there is no evidence. Of course, this is just my opinion and not legal advice.
            Well I quit that job not because I could not do the job as much as because I wasn't meeting their metrics for what I should be getting. I actually got a bonus for perfect attendance one month. I just didn't like that I spent a total of 3 hours a day commuting to and from and the late night hours getting home.

Comment

Working...
            X