Resilience during COVID 19; 04-30-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resilience during COVID 19; 04-30-2020

Resilience is one’s ability to bounce back from difficult times and challenges. I feel like I've been challenged by these stay at home orders. Without exercising in a social setting (such as the rec center and the senior center), I've lost my motivation to exercise at all. My mobility is declining without that regular exercise and it hasn't worked to try to focus on "finding" my motivation and focus on exercise. Although I've increased virtual contacts (and I plan to continue those), I've mostly been sitting on the couch and watching Netflix and Hulu, etc.

So, this week, I'm not going to focus on exercise, although I hope that might become a piece of what I do. Rather, I'm going to focus on using resilience strategies to help me to "bounce back". These might include things like meditation, prayer, gratitude journal, listening to music, playing piano, reading a book, right tribe time (even if it's virtual), etc. And, it could include exercise.

My plan is to try to engage in multiple resilience strategies every day to boost my ability to rebound. This week, I plan post what I do daily. I need to do this to hold myself accountable.

I just feel like I am so stuck in my lack of ability to make myself exercise. When I keep doing the same thing over and over (trying to get out of my rut) and it's not working (I keep failing), it's time to try a new strategy and a new focus.

Tomorrow, I'll post what I did today. Feel free to join in!
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

What a great idea Faith! Smart to try a different approach.

Your post reminded me of this quote:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got." --James P. Lewis

Sometimes doing what we always did gives us the results we want, but when they don't, time to change it up.

I always liked this quote too when I was feeling like I just couldn't stay focused on some goal.
    "Our greatest glory is, not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." --Oliver Goldsmith

You definitely found a way to change things up and rise again.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
      What a great idea Faith! Smart to try a different approach.

Your post reminded me of this quote:
      "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got." --James P. Lewis

Sometimes doing what we always did gives us the results we want, but when they don't, time to change it up.

I always liked this quote too when I was feeling like I just couldn't stay focused on some goal.
      "Our greatest glory is, not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." --Oliver Goldsmith

You definitely found a way to change things up and rise again.
      Thanks! Einstein once said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
      ~ Faith
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

4/30/2020

These are all small activities that took only a brief amount of time each. But, they are all activities that can add to my resilience and to my quality of life. They may increase my motivation to exercise and to do additional healthy or productive activities.

Resilience activities that I did yesterday:
        - Meditation
        - Prayer plus additional time with God
        - Gratitude journal
        - Listening to music
        - Play piano
        - Sit outside
        - Right tribe time (I called my cousin, Karen, on the phone / video chat because it was her birthday.)
        - "To Do" list
        - I walked a lap or two inside the house sometimes when I was off the couch to do other things.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

5/01/2020

Resilience activities that I did yesterday:
          - Meditation
          - Prayer
          - Gratitude journal
          - Play piano
          - Sit outside
          - Right tribe time (phone call with my dad)
          - I walked a lap or two inside the house sometimes when I was off the couch to do other things.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

05-02-2020 and 05-03-2020

I neglected to post yesterday so i'm combining two days. I had lots of "right tribe" time / social time. I need that, even though most of it was virtual. I miss being around people.

Resilience activities that I did Saturday and Sunday:
            - Meditation
            - Worship on YouTube
            - Sit outside
            - Right tribe time (1. Video chat with daughter and grandsons. 2. Video chat with my sister. 3. Phone call with my Dad. 4. Phone call with my brother. 5. Hubby's brother and his wife came over to pick up some things. I visited outside, at a social distance, with masks, with my SIL for about 40 minutes. 6. Sunday school on Zoom. 7. Another Zoom meeting. 8. Watched Saturday night "dragging Main" with hubby from our car.)
            - "To Do" list
            - I walked some laps inside the house sometimes when I was off the couch to do other things.
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I haven't continued to post regularly on this thread. Some days, I'm doing more than others, but I think it's improving my attitude, although not my exercise levels yet.
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I haven't quite formed the habit of adding resiliency activities to my day. I might try keeping a notebook and journaling them.

However, I have made more phone calls to far away people and have had some good, long conversations. This extrovert craves people contact and that has helped my mood and attitude somewhat.
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                X