Rituxan/Ocrevus and Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rituxan/Ocrevus and Coronavirus

Hello All - just wanted to give people on Rituxan or Ocrevus a bit of a relief. I had a "phone check in" with my Neuro this morning and he was on a call with Neuro's across the country about what they are actually seeing with people on MS Meds... and they are seeing NO increased rate of serious illness or death among people on Rituxan/Ocrevus. I was soooo nervous about this.

I live in the Northern NJ "hot zone" - his practice is at St. Barnabus Hospital - it is like 20 miles from NYC. The practice has has 20+ patients on Rituxan/Ocrevus who have tested positive for the Virus and all 20 are fine. Only 5 even needed hospitalization. They have seen only 2 deaths among their entire 1200 patient population - both were elderly and pretty disabled. One was in a Long Term Care facility that got hit hard.

Of course it is true that if you are on Rituxan/Ocrevus your ability to create anti-bodies is severely limited (although not zero which I feared) - AND they have no idea if they would allow any possible vaccine yet - will depend on a lot of factors...

All-in-all - this did make me feel a lot better!

Originally posted by jersey4ever View Post
    Hello All - just wanted to give people on Rituxan or Ocrevus a bit of a relief. I had a "phone check in" with my Neuro this morning and he was on a call with Neuro's across the country about what they are actually seeing with people on MS Meds... and they are seeing NO increased rate of serious illness or death among people on Rituxan/Ocrevus.
    Hello jersey4ever ~

Thank you for sharing this.

I'm not on these drugs, but still it is great to know!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

That is good. I was initially very worried because I was under the impression that Ocrevus had a greater effect on the immune system than it apparently does. From what I've subsequently read, now I'm merely concerned.

Comment

Thanks Jersey4ever for sharing some encouraging news. Stay well!
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1138 View Post
          That is good. I was initially very worried because I was under the impression that Ocrevus had a greater effect on the immune system than it apparently does. From what I've subsequently read, now I'm merely concerned.

Yup, since TCells - which fight infection should be at normal levels! B-cells - which are non existent with Ocrevus - are primarily responsible for creating immunity.

I also have gone from panic to just freak out - lol.

Comment

I take Ocrevus so this infor. makes me feel better.

Thank you jersey4ever.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Yes Thank you for sharing that information. That kinda explains why I’m catching a cold just after hardly getting over a bad flu.
              It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I've had 2 rounds of Ocrevus since May 2019.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

I also live in a hot zone, so good to hear.
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

More good news

COVID-19 Infection Not Severe in PPMS Patient on Ocrevus, Case Report Finds

COVID-19 infection in a multiple sclerosis (MS) patient being treated with Ocrevus (ocrelizumab) — an immunosuppressive therapy — was not associated with any serious complications, a case study reports.

This finding supports current suggestions that immunosuppressive therapies, by dampening immune and inflammatory responses, may help to protect against the “cytokine storm” and hyperinflammation associated with COVID-19’s severe complications.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...tective-role/?
                    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you KoKo for the info. It's always good to hear good news.
                      God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                        COVID-19 Infection Not Severe in PPMS Patient on Ocrevus, Case Report Finds

COVID-19 infection in a multiple sclerosis (MS) patient being treated with Ocrevus (ocrelizumab) — an immunosuppressive therapy — was not associated with any serious complications, a case study reports.

This finding supports current suggestions that immunosuppressive therapies, by dampening immune and inflammatory responses, may help to protect against the “cytokine storm” and hyperinflammation associated with COVID-19’s severe complications.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...tective-role/?
                        Yes KoKo this is good to hear. Thanks. I was contemplating not taking Ocrevus any more but all this is changing my mind back again. Lots of uncertainty these days that’s for sure.
                        It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Working...
                        X