• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 04-23-2020

5 checked in this last week.

1 did not meet goals.
    Everyone else is busy and active.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I didn't really track goals.

That's my only goal for next week -- to track and report.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I had a fairly good week - not great, but not bad either. Got outside to my veggie garden 4 days and also my flower bed to plant and weed a bit. I also did more stretching and PT than the weeks before.

My latest PT exercise that I always forget to do is a heel/toe walk that my therapist told me I need to work on - rather than the shuffle I usually do. It takes a lot of concentration which I'm not really good at.

Rains have finally come, so this next week I'll be working on cleaning/vacuuming my floors inside.
      Days are long.. going on over 40 days now, but will take that any day right now and play it safe.

Hope all achieve what you set out to do. Stay active!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Looking forward to reading your report Mamabug.

Mind body connection on that heel to toe walk Seasha.

I've been crusing this week but since I was working hard through Sunday night I have a good average. I managed to come in first in the garmin group for "Walking with MS" last week. I'm going to rest a little and push myself for 1st for the month of May.

3 runs for 10 miles total.
        5 walks with my wife for 14.9 miles
        A few body weight training sessions but I continue to procrastinate here.
        Daily Averages...
        15,349 steps
        12 flights of stairs
        8 hours and 3 minutes sleep
        Keep it going
        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Made Goals

Hi everyone

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
          I didn't really track goals.

That's my only goal for next week -- to track and report.
          Mamabug, I know that being stuck is not fun. I have a feeling that you are on the way to getting yourself unstuck, very soon. You're on the way.

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          I had a fairly good week - not great, but not bad either. Got outside to my veggie garden 4 days and also my flower bed to plant and weed a bit. I also did more stretching and PT than the weeks before.
          Looks like you got good exercise doing what you love, and also doing some not-so-fun exercises as well Seasha. Mixed bag of activities!

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
          I've been crusing this week but since I was working hard through Sunday night I have a good average. I managed to come in first in the garmin group for "Walking with MS" last week. I'm going to rest a little and push myself for 1st for the month of May.

3 runs for 10 miles total.
          5 walks with my wife for 14.9 miles
          A few body weight training sessions but I continue to procrastinate here.
          Daily Averages...
          15,349 steps
          12 flights of stairs
          8 hours and 3 minutes sleep
          Rest time is beneficial, especially after working as hard as you've been doing, Boudreaux!

Congrats on April, and good luck with your May walking challenge!

I accomplished my exercise goals, with some bonus minutes added to several of my daily 30 minute 'up on feet' times. Honestly, some of this is due to my getting slower, and taking longer to accomplish tasks.

I discovered a new stretch to do, by accident, while doing my exercises. I noticed a very tight area while moving my legs, after doing the rotational stretches (lying on back, rolling legs side-to-side with knees bent).

Not sure if it's quad or hamstring, but it doesn't really matter what you call it. I have found a way to give it a good stretch!

I'm going to keep same goals, including the new stretch.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk/Stand with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, and Lower Back Exercises

Good Energy and Good Health to all.
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Everyone!

Well I maintained stretching routine at 30 minutes in the AM (6 days or 3 hrs).

Mixed sets of 30 reps each with light dumbbells or bands and twice this week did straight 10 minutes of squats (cardio) with 1 lb. wrist weights. Deeper than in past but also rose to highest point WITHOUT hyper extension of bad leg. It trembled but did not break!

One solo 2/3 mile with and with out trekking poles. Pretty good. Was nice to get out on the only sunny, warmish, (60 degrees) day this week.

Also: Vacuumed & swept floors (Seasha you inspired me!) I'm counting it as exercise since the vacuum (circa 1990) weighs about the same as a VW. Add this to the above and it may come to over 3 hours in 5 days.

The HARDEST thing for me this week was getting started with the afternoon exercises. It is NOT routine... yet. Sigh.

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
            I accomplished my exercise goals, with some bonus minutes added to several of my daily 30 minute 'up on feet' times. Honestly, some of this is due to my getting slower, and taking longer to accomplish tasks.

K: regarding the "getting slower" I realized that I probably was not getting as many squats in even as I added time. I had been looking for some kind of cardio substitute when I started the squats. By going slower, with focus shifted to depth / height of each squat (the stretch of calf / achilles), I began to improve quality. Don't tell anyone but I just may be improving walking (less swing leg)... or at least, improved endurance :-)

Congrats on those few extra efforts too, that means a lot!

Comment

Kudos to you all! All great workouts!

And Mamabug, you will get there! I know you've had slumps in the past, but you picked yourself right back up

Jer - you made me laugh about the vacuum cleaner - consider it a double workout!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hello Jer

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

Well I maintained stretching routine at 30 minutes in the AM (6 days or 3 hrs).

Mixed sets of 30 reps each with light dumbbells or bands and twice this week did straight 10 minutes of squats (cardio) with 1 lb. wrist weights. Deeper than in past but also rose to highest point WITHOUT hyper extension of bad leg. It trembled but did not break!

One solo 2/3 mile with and with out trekking poles. Pretty good. Was nice to get out on the only sunny, warmish, (60 degrees) day this week.

Also: Vacuumed & swept floors (Seasha you inspired me!) I'm counting it as exercise since the vacuum (circa 1990) weighs about the same as a VW. Add this to the above and it may come to over 3 hours in 5 days.
                Stretches, weights, resistance, squats, walks, and work! What a wonderfully diverse blend of exercises, Jer!

K: regarding the "getting slower" I realized that I probably was not getting as many squats in even as I added time. I had been looking for some kind of cardio substitute when I started the squats. By going slower, with focus shifted to depth / height of each squat (the stretch of calf / achilles), I began to improve quality.
                I totally get that, Jer. When I first started my ab crunches, I did many reps but they were very sloppy. When I did them with proper form (good quality) I did them slower, and did fewer, since it was a little more difficult to do them correctly.

Don't tell anyone but I just may be improving walking (less swing leg)... or at least, improved endurance :-)
                Mum's the word - your secret is safe with me!

Congrats on those few extra efforts too, that means a lot!
                Thank you!
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Nice work Koko. Adding new stretches is always good, ever thread the needle?

https://youtu.be/mDicGEujhmQ

Jerry- 10 straight minutes of squats? That's sounds tough. Solid work.

Comment

Thank you for this 'thread the needle' video, Boudreaux!

I had not seen that one before.

I'll definitely give it a try. Will let you know Thursday or Friday how it goes.

Comment

Jerry- 10 straight minutes of squats? That's sounds tough. Solid work.

Boudreaux, Thanks for the encouragement. The squats are better in quality and hopefully, the depth and pace (and balance) will get closer to a normal person's squat.

Also, thanks for the vid link. My trainer does this stretch to me by placing my floored foot upon her leg, above her knee. Then she slowly moves into me. Nice stretch after a leg session!

Jer

Comment

Boudreaux, Thanks for the encouragement. The squats are better in quality.

Jer
                        You are welcome. This is the way.

Comment

Working...
                        X