To get MRI or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To get MRI or not?

Hello everyone, I have Clinically Isolated Syndrome, and have been on Copaxone since November 2018. I'm supposed to have my annual MRI in a little over 2 weeks. With all that's going on with Covid19, I'm not sure if maybe I should delay it or not. The possibility of picking up the virus while there is scary, but so is the possibility of having undetected progression happening (so far my MRI's have been stable). I know that things change from day to day, and that it's possible the decision will be taken out of my hands if the hospital cancels/reschedules. I will also consider asking my neurologist her opinion. I lean towards keeping the appointment, but what do you all think?

If you have been feeling stable then I think it would be OK to put off the MRI to reduce your risk of corona virus.
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

I would definitely review with your neuro.
      My situation is a little different. I am on Tysabri and due for my MRIs as well. I have felt no different since last MRI. For me, I am leaning on postponing, as we seem to be in peak Covid-19 cases right now. I also pose no risk for PML,a potential complication for Tysabri users, as I am JCV negative still.

I guess some questions:
      1. Have you felt any different since last MRI?
      2. How prevalent is Covid-19 in your area?
      3. Does the hospital where you would go have Covid-19 patients?
      4. How will they comply with any state/local protection decrees?

If you have been feeling fine, I would definitely ask your neuro about postponing until the Covid-19 risk is lower, hopefully this summer.

Let us know what you decide.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I agree with others here, but please go with the advise of your neuro.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I'll contact my neuro towards the end of next week. Since things change so quickly with this virus and recommendations, I want the most up to date advice possible. This is annoying, but others definitely have it worse.

Comment

I was due in March for both a spinal and brain MRI. With consult with my neuro i am postponing to July (at least). I've felt fine although the stress of all this COVID has my fatigue high. My reasoning that others may need it more than me and i'd hate to tie up a machine when i feel good.

Definitely check in with your neuro though as they may advise to wait if previous MRI's have been stable.
            Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
            Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

Thanks everyone! I messaged my neurologist, and she said that as long as I don't have any new or worsening symptoms, it's fine to push it back a couple months. I'm going to do that as a hospital is the last place anyone should be right now unless they really need to be.

Comment

Originally posted by ElemteacherPK6 View Post
                Thanks everyone! I messaged my neurologist, and she said that as long as I don't have any new or worsening symptoms, it's fine to push it back a couple months. I'm going to do that as a hospital is the last place anyone should be right now unless they really need to be.
                Really glad you were able to do this. Such a relief. Also agree that not just for our own health, but for the hospital staff trying to work thru crisis.

My neuros office called my insurance company and they extended their MRI approval until October, so they agreed too!

I may call and schedule for end of June, early July. I figure I can cancel later if need be. Just thinking when things open up, everyone will be trying to get appointments.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                X