• Show
Clear All

Goalposters Check In Exercise thread 04-16-2020

5 checked in this last week.

3 met goals
    1 did not meet goals.
    1 is not setting goals, but is active.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Didn't make goals

Current goals:
    - PT 2 or 3 times a week at home
    - Other exercise (Chair yoga with YouTube, two-minute walks, or something else). 2 or 3 times a week.

This week:
    PT 1 or 2x
    YouTube Qigong 2x

I'm still having a difficult time motivating myself, but, at least, the past few weeks, I've done something. For awhile, I think I was doing nothing.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Good week....not setting goals but making sure I am active.

from doing nothing to doing something is an improvement Mamabug, hope you find the groove and get back to it soon.

I been stepping it out, walking multiple times a day. I’m part of an MS Group on the Garmin App and I’ve made it a point to come in 1st place in steps for one week. I am currently leading but there is plenty of time left for others to gain ground.

Jiu Jitsu is still a no go…… so sad….
      I got a Four-mile and a Five-mile run in this week.
      7 walks with my wife for a total of 16.9 miles.

I continue to do the body weight exercises although not at the volume I’d like to, I just simply forget to do them. I need to develop a habit that allows me to accomplish those goals and then rely on discipline to make them happen. I have also neglected to do any yoga, which I should be doing, I always feel better when I stretch.

Stats…
      16,375 average steps a day
      15 flights of stairs a day
      Averaging 8 hours and 35 minutes of sleep too. I don’t think I’ve ever averaged that much sleep in my adult life.

Keep it going.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
        I been stepping it out, walking multiple times a day. I’m part of an MS Group on the Garmin App and I’ve made it a point to come in 1st place in steps for one week. I am currently leading but there is plenty of time left for others to gain ground.
        Wow! I'm so impressed!! Keep it up.
        I'm wondering if maybe Mamabug might considering joining this group? You may not beat Boudreaux, but it sounds like a motivator. And remember that doing even "something" is better than doing nothing.

I had a good week, thanks to great weather that bought me out to the garden every day. Managed to do work about an hour each time. The real exercise was just walking out there with my rollator over uneven lawn. It was a struggle and dh had to help me move the thing back to the house many times. How I miss my motorized scooter.

I even manage to vacuum and mop my kitchen floor one day. Very little yoga and PT which I really need to concentrate on.

Good luck all and hope for a great week ahead!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          I'm wondering if maybe Mamabug might considering joining this group? You may not beat Boudreaux, but it sounds like a motivator. And remember that doing even "something" is better than doing nothing.
          I could consider trying to look into it. I'm not very techie and I use only the most basic features on my Garmin. I'm not sure I'd know how to find it or access it.

And it might, or might not, help. I've never liked to exercise. I was the kid who was picked last for teams in PE; they even fought over who had to take me. The only thing that helped, in recent years, was the social part of exercising with others. I don't expect that just reporting to others would be a substitute for that. I already receive accountability here, and although that usually helps, accountability, without social contact, doesn't seem to be enough.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Hi everyone

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            I'm still having a difficult time motivating myself, but, at least, the past few weeks, I've done something. For awhile, I think I was doing nothing.
            Looks like you're getting closer to accomplishing a goal, Mamabug.

Try for one goal, every day this coming week. Don't engage in anything else, until you do one goal.

You can do it, Mamabug!

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post

Jiu Jitsu is still a no go…… so sad….
            I got a Four-mile and a Five-mile run in this week.
            7 walks with my wife for a total of 16.9 miles.

I continue to do the body weight exercises although not at the volume I’d like to, I just simply forget to do them. I need to develop a habit that allows me to accomplish those goals and then rely on discipline to make them happen. I have also neglected to do any yoga, which I should be doing, I always feel better when I stretch.

Stats…
            16,375 average steps a day
            15 flights of stairs a day
            Averaging 8 hours and 35 minutes of sleep too. I don’t think I’ve ever averaged that much sleep in my adult life.
            Fabulous, Boudreaux! Exercise and good sleep is a winning combination!

I had a good week, thanks to great weather that bought me out to the garden every day. Managed to do work about an hour each time. The real exercise was just walking out there with my rollator over uneven lawn. It was a struggle and dh had to help me move the thing back to the house many times. How I miss my motorized scooter.

I even manage to vacuum and mop my kitchen floor one day. Very little yoga and PT which I really need to concentrate on.
            Terrific, Seasha! The walking on uneven lawn is a strenuous workout by itself!

My week of exercising went very well, and I was able to accomplish my goals.

We had winter temps all week. (Winter storm expected today, with 3-5 inches of snow!)

As long as I'm not outside in it, I do so much better with cooler temps.

Several times during the week, I was able to stay up on my feet for longer than my typical 30 min at a time. I was able to stay up five times for 45 min, and two times for an hour each (although walking back to my chair was a real struggle, it was overshadowed by my newfound endurance).

I'm going to keep the same goals for now. If my increased endurance becomes a regular occurrence, then I may change the goals.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk/Stand with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, and Lower Back Exercises

Peace of Mind and Good Energy to all.
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              I could consider trying to look into it. I'm not very techie and I use only the most basic features on my Garmin. I'm not sure I'd know how to find it.
              Do you have the Garmin Connect App?
              The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Looks like a fairly good week for everyone!

Faith, something is far better than nothing. Like repentance vs remorse, you recognize the need and make a concerted effort to try again or you begin dwelling on the recent failing and that gets you nowhere.

I know what you mean about good habits first Boudreaux, I try to find a bad habit (easy at times) and replace it with the good habit. Like here in the Commonwealth, if you want to plant a tree, look for the right size rock to remove first…. You had a banner week regardless of missing Ms. Jiu.

Seasha, in another thread you referenced home chores filling the day. Hoping some of that thinking will motivate me. Since the virus, no housekeeper… I have yet to develop that loss into an “exercise” as you have with the vacuuming etc. Maybe I will do something about it this week.

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                I was able to stay up five times for 45 min, and two times for an hour each (although walking back to my chair was a real struggle, it was overshadowed by my newfound endurance).

REALLY good news KoKo! And probably smart to stay with original goals at this point although, if you feel it, maybe one day (2?) give an extra 5 minutes....

I did much the same as last week. Stretching routine is now 30 minutes in the morning for 6 days. Mixed bag of ROM & light weight work for 30 minutes 5x a week. And some ADL stuff. The highlight: Solo 2/3 mile with and with out trekking poles at vacant church parking lot. I actually do a bit better without poles. Believe the pole in my bad arm, being locked in a 90 degree position... the pain grabs my attention taking my mind off of step / gait.

But like it or not proper pole usage may well become a must. Keep at it everyone!

Comment

Hello Jer

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                  I did much the same as last week. Stretching routine is now 30 minutes in the morning for 6 days. Mixed bag of ROM & light weight work for 30 minutes 5x a week. And some ADL stuff. The highlight: Solo 2/3 mile with and with out trekking poles at vacant church parking lot.
                  Wonderful, Jer!

I actually do a bit better without poles

Believe the pole in my bad arm, being locked in a 90 degree position... the pain grabs my attention taking my mind off of step / gait.
                  Can you use only one pole, on your side with the functional arm? I have never used them myself, so honestly don't know. After my cane wasn't enough support anymore, I moved on to a three-wheel rollator. Right side weakness became too severe for poles.

And probably smart to stay with original goals at this point although, if you feel it, maybe one day (2?) give an extra 5 minutes....
                  Totally agree, Jer. I do have flukey good days, as well as flukey bad days!
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Several times during the week, I was able to stay up on my feet for longer than my typical 30 min at a time. I was able to stay up five times for 45 min, and two times for an hour each (although walking back to my chair was a real struggle, it was overshadowed by my newfound endurance).
                    Looks like you exceeded your goal, KoKo! Excellent! Hope you can maintain that.

And Jer excellent job as well! I count doing household chores as exercise as I stretch, squat, lift, and walk. Plus, the bonus is a clean space. Only downside is that by the time I finally and slowly finish one area, other areas need desperate attention. And so it goes
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I count doing household chores as exercise as I stretch, squat, lift, and walk.
                      Seasha, oh how I vividly remember doing the heavier housework that you do.

I would have to say that it is most definitely a WORKOUT.

It wore me out!

I certainly admire your persistence!

Comment

Can you use only one pole, on your side with the functional arm?

Hi KoKo! Reasons for the poles are twofold: my right side arm is locked or close to locked in the perfect position to hold a pole. A walker with or without wheels is too low, as is a cane (wrist flexibility severely limits their usage also).

Also drop foot on right side, so the stumble will happen on the that side. having a pole in my left hand is of no help.

Maybe if I keep working on keeping the right elbow straighter, the pain will be less severe and allow for some distance once in a while!

Seasha! your comment reminded me of the Golden Gate Bridge painters. They finish on one end while they begin again on the other end! :-)

Comment

Reasons for the poles are twofold: my right side arm is locked or close to locked in the perfect position to hold a pole. A walker with or without wheels is too low, as is a cane (wrist flexibility severely limits their usage also).
                          Got it, Jer.

Also drop foot on right side, so the stumble will happen on the that side. having a pole in my left hand is of no help.
                          I couldn't use the cane with my right hand either (couldn't grasp).

However, using the cane on my left side still helped me a lot with balance and energy conservation.

I had (and still use) an AFO for foot drop on the right side.

Comment

I couldn't use the cane with my right hand either (couldn't grasp).

However, using the cane on my left side still helped me a lot with balance and energy conservation.

I had (and still use) an AFO for foot drop on the right side.

My concern is balance too. When using poles, I find that as right hip flexor contact is lost (or muscle tires?), I "lean" into my good (left) pole, helping me stay upright. BUT my balance is no longer centered in my body but between the good leg & good pole.

I'm trying to avoid this when using poles, but cannot depend on my weak right arm to help, to except some responsibility.... Sigh.

So, to maintain a natural center of gravity, walking without poles is better. I suspect this too will be lost but not without giving my best effort.

My AFO, a 3/4" lift in my high tops allows for the poor right foot to land a step flatfooted. Without a lift, I would land on pad or toes or... stumble.

TMI. Thanks for reading KoKo & glad you found a way to continue!

Jer

Comment

My concern is balance too. When using poles, I find that as right hip flexor contact is lost (or muscle tires?), I "lean" into my good (left) pole, helping me stay upright. BUT my balance is no longer centered in my body but between the good leg & good pole.

I'm trying to avoid this when using poles, but cannot depend on my weak right arm to help, to except some responsibility.... Sigh.

So, to maintain a natural center of gravity, walking without poles is better. I suspect this too will be lost but not without giving my best effort.

My AFO, a 3/4" lift in my high tops allows for the poor right foot to land a step flatfooted. Without a lift, I would land on pad or toes or... stumble.
                              I understand what you're saying about trying to maintain your natural center of gravity, Jer.

And, giving your best effort is quite obvious to us around here.

Comment

Working...
                              X