Compound in Fruit Peels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compound in Fruit Peels

Ursolic Acid, Compound in Fruit Peels, Promotes Myelin Repair, Early Study Finds

"A team led by investigators at Thomas Jefferson University found that ursolic acid, a natural anti-inflammatory compound found in some herbs and fruit peels like apples and prunes, halted neurodegeneration and promoted myelin repair in mice with experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), a disease that mimics MS in humans."

"To assess the compound’s effectiveness, researchers started treating mice with ursolic acid at a daily dose of 25 mg/kg, 60 days after EAE onset. Treatment lasted for 60 days.

After 20 days of its use, they started noticing the first improvements in animals’ overall condition. Mice that were completely paralyzed and unable to move at the experiment’s start regained their ability to walk, despite still showing signs of weakness."

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...s-mouse-model/
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Thanks, KoKo~ Like they say, an apple (and peel) keep the doctor away.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I had not ever heard of ursolic acid before.

So I did a little googling, and found that ursolic acid and it's possible benefits have been studied for other conditions as well.

There are also various ursolic acid supplements on the market, with interesting benefit claims, especially regarding the muscles.

It would be fantastic if it is proven that ursolic acid promotes remyelination in humans.

Hopefully not just another 'too good to be true' type of thing, though.

But, you never know.
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
        Hopefully not just another 'too good to be true' type of thing, though.

KoKo, you going to try a bottle? Price seems right...

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
          KoKo, you going to try a bottle? Price seems right...
          Jer, I still need to read up on any potential side effects first.

I'm sure the supplement concentrate, or extract, contains many times more of the ursolic acid than that which is found in eating normal amounts of various fruits and herbs.

Comment

Jer, I still need to read up on any potential side effects first.

I'm sure the supplement concentrate, or extract, contains many times more of the ursolic acid than that which is found in eating normal amounts of various fruits and herbs.

Yes, luckily we can be pretty sure we aren't OD-ing on anything by eating normal amounts of fruit.

"About one-third of the apple's total fiber is lost if you toss the peel in the trash."

(From LiveStrong, "Is Apple Peel Good for You")

I've always heard the pith on grapefruit fights disease.
            All the best, ~G

Comment

Originally posted by gargantua View Post
              Yes, luckily we can be pretty sure we aren't OD-ing on anything by eating normal amounts of fruit.
              I used to take cherry and blueberry concentrates. After a time, I noticed small bruises on my arms.

Went back to the website where I ordered from, and saw info that said some fruits contain naturally occurring Salicylates, which thin the blood.

I stopped taking the concentrates, and the bruises went away. Also, I have never taken any type of prescription blood thinners.

In any case, I eat 2 lbs of blueberries a week, and don't get the bruises.

Comment

In any case, I eat 2 lbs of blueberries a week, and don't get the bruises.
                I had to laugh, I eat alot too. In July, when in their peak in NJ, we drive to a farm and buy a few boxes, with each box containing at 24 pints. I do what my Mom used to do and put them single layer in sandwich bags unwashed, then later in freezer bags. So all winter, have blueberries that taste like peak season. On my last few bags now. Fortunate to have a 2nd fridge to store them in the freezer.

Love my blueberries.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                X