• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goalposters exercise check-in 04-09-2020

5 checked in this last week.

3 met goals
    2 met partial goals.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made goals

Current goals:
    - PT 2 or 3 times a week at home
    - Other exercise (Chair yoga with YouTube, two-minute walks, or something else). 2 or 3 times a week.

PT 2x
    YouTube chair yoga 2x

I've noticed a decline in my mobility abilities since I quit group exercising. I'll try to do more than these simple goals that I set.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Glad you made your goal, Mamabug!

I didn't. I realized that I did a lot (for me) the last 2 weeks of reporting, so this week I took it easy. Only made it out to the yard and garden twice working for an hour each time. Nice sunny weather so have been reading on our patio, getting some Vit.D and loving it!

Got new compost and some veggie starts and seeds to plant, so next should be better as far as exercising goes.

Hope you all have a good week!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Made Goals

Hello everyone

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post

PT 2x
        YouTube chair yoga 2x
        Great job on accomplishing your goals, Mamabug! Good luck next week as well!

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        I realized that I did a lot (for me) the last 2 weeks of reporting, so this week I took it easy.
        Yes, you certainly have been working hard, Seasha! Rest, recoup, relax - very important and beneficial, especially after maxing out our limited energy and strength.

Got new compost and some veggie starts and seeds to plant, so next should be better as far as exercising goes.
        Sounds like a good plan. Hope you have great weather!

I accomplished my goals, which included 1 day of extra difficulty moving around, due to a high humidity/dew point day (well, here we go again - the 'fun' season is upon us).

On the other hand, I had experienced 2 extra good days with walking and moving about, right before the difficult day. For a hot minute, I wondered if I was getting better (then I was rudely awakened.)

Overall, I am extremely grateful that I was able to get my exercises, daily activities, and chores all finished this week. They are not strenuous to most people, but are quite effortful for me!

Staying with the current goals:

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk/Stand with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, and Lower Back Exercises

Good health, good energy, and inner peace for all.
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

It's great you made your goal, KoKo, even though the humidity is ramping up. Do you have a de-humidifier to use on those days?
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

It's great you made your goal, KoKo, even though the humidity is ramping up. Do you have a de-humidifier to use on those days?
            I do have a dehumidifier. Did not even realize that the humidity and dew point were up, until later in the day when I checked, after wondering if that could possibly be the cause of my motor function difficulties.

The weather around here fluctuates from day to day, this time of the year.

The temperature can be in the 30's one day, and 70 the next, then in the 40's the next day, etc.

So far, only the one day has had the high dew point and humidity.
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Glad you met your goals Mamabug, looking forward to hearing about your increased mobility in the coming weeks.

I really enjoy the sunshine Seasha, especially in the morning. I started a little garden as well. Got some maters, squash, cucumbers and peppers growing. Enjoy the rest period and get recharged for the next few weeks.

Nice job preservering the humidity Koko and making your goals. Too bad it's just getting started and will be here for a while.

I dont even think I'm setting goals but I am being quite active. It's just...... without Jiu Jitsu....... I dont even know who I am anymore.....

I did manage to get 3 runs in this week and have been cranking out some body weight exercises throughout the day. Going for numerous walks during the day so my steps are through the roof. Keep it going.
              The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                I dont even think I'm setting goals but I am being quite active.
                Well then, your goal is to be quite active.

It's just...... without Jiu Jitsu....... I dont even know who I am anymore.....
                You're still one of our favorite Goalposters, Boudreaux, even without Jiu Jitsu.

You two will be back together, when the time is right.

I did manage to get 3 runs in this week and have been cranking out some body weight exercises throughout the day. Going for numerous walks during the day so my steps are through the roof. Keep it going.
                That's a lot of activity, from my perspective!

Comment

Hi everyone!

Mamabug, the normal routine interruptions these days take their toll, but noticing the mobility issue gives you a target for the coming week, right? Seasha, glad you took some time off, you'll be living in a jungle with all the planting you've been doing. Also! Send some sun / warmth my way....Please!

KoKo! Sorry about your humidity issue but you pulled through regardless. Trainer would give a "double" happy face. Boudreaux; how's the early morning humidity down by you?... & good luck with the garden too! Only thing happening 'round here is some tree buds starting to show, forsythia looking good, grass losing some of that burnt Sienna shade.

Had a good week! A daily 25 minute stretch routine now with a few extra stretches and minutes. 6x, mornings.

Also, now, a daily 30 minute? mixed strength / cardio routine... legs, abs, arms. 5x, afternoons.

A nice plus this past week was Monday. Trekking poles with trainer outside in the SUN, in the parking lot of our church. No one around with trainer 6" away barking orders. Never knew how much I really miss being harassed. Managed about a mile smiling' all the way.

Slept good. Didn't have to toss any junk off bed either.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

Had a good week! A daily 25 minute stretch routine now with a few extra stretches and minutes. 6x, mornings.

Also, now, a daily 30 minute? mixed strength / cardio routine... legs, abs, arms. 5x, afternoons.
                    Glad that you had a good week, Jer!

Your strength, cardio, and stretch routines are a fabulous mix of exercises!

A nice plus this past week was Monday. Trekking poles with trainer outside in the SUN, in the parking lot of our church. No one around with trainer 6" away barking orders. Never knew how much I really miss being harassed. Managed about a mile smiling' all the way.
                    A wonderful plus! Return of the lion tamer.

PS. I was able to see and imagine your trekking adventure as I was reading.

Anyone ever tell you that your writing style is very vivid / picturesque?

Slept good. Didn't have to toss any junk off bed either.
                    Good for you, Jer!

Comment

Solid work Jerry. The humidity is always high down here. There are only breaks when a dry spell moves through, right now the humidity is 62% which is low.
                      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                        I was able to see and imagine your trekking adventure as I was reading.

Thanks for your comments on the newest attempt at an exercise program and on my trek around the parking lot.

I never considered writing in my very small portfolio of strengths. Thank you.

A reason for your comment may be that I have become, due to MS (or age?), far more observant of my gait, balance, body in general, that looking at myself in the third person has provided a better perspective. I guess the detachment first and the observation second provide an unbiased view, less chance of defeatism or negativity. Harsh at times but of value.

Could this constructive viewpoint morph into fortitude? Where's that LIKE button?

Comment

Solid work Jerry. The humidity is always high down here. There are only breaks when a dry spell moves through, right now the humidity is 62% which is low.

Thanks Boudreaux! Work in progress.

Other than today at 100% rain, we hover in mid 40% range this time of year.

For reasons unknown the humidity or heat doesn't bother me. Lost much of my ability to sweat 5 yrs ago....

Still have half a dream about a trade off of blizzard for hurricane. This dream usually strengthens around cocktail hour....

Comment

Working...
                          X