Corona virus and tecfidera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corona virus and tecfidera

I’m just concerned about this COVID-19 and being on tecfidera, am I at a greater risk to contract severe complications if I get infected? I was told that tecfidera is a immmunomodulatory DMT, not a immunosuppressive one, I fight off colds easily and I am a healthy active 39 y/o male, exercises regularly in good shape. Tecfidera is working great for me and I don’t want to stop just this COVID-19 is spreading in my city in Calgary Canada like everywhere else it concerns me a little...

thanks for any insights on this DMT and tecfidera,

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
    I’m just concerned about this COVID-19 and being on tecfidera, am I at a greater risk to contract severe complications if I get infected? I was told that tecfidera is a immmunomodulatory DMT, not a immunosuppressive one, I fight off colds easily and I am a healthy active 39 y/o male, exercises regularly in good shape. Tecfidera is working great for me and I don’t want to stop just this COVID-19 is spreading in my city in Calgary Canada like everywhere else it concerns me a little...

thanks for any insights on this DMT and tecfidera,
    Hello Ant

This info is from the National MS Society:

Some DMTs are immunomodulators but also restrict the ability of the immune system to respond to infection and therefore may increase your risk of infections, including COVID-19.

These include:

dimethyl fumarate (Tecfidera®)

diroximel fumarate (Vumerity)

fingolimod (Gilenya®)

siponimod (Mayzent®)

teriflunomide (Aubagio®)

More info:

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Wh...(COVID-19)-and

Take care and stay safe!
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Morning!

I am on Mayzent and live in New York (thankfully not NYC area but still in another high risk area of the virus). I'm concerned, like you, with being on the medicine and increase in risk of infections/complications of COVID. I've just been social distancing, staying home and not going in public, not seeing family. I still go to work but i have my office i can isolate in.

Be cautious, keep distance and wash hands often. It's been hard not to see family or let my daughter see her grandparents but it's all to keep me safe!

Best of luck and hang in there!
      Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
      Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

coronavirus and Tecfidera

I have been taking Tecfidera for 6 years. I'm a pretty healthy active 67 year old but worry about the ability to fight infection if stricken with this horrible virus. My neurologist thought that it probably wasn't a good time to discontinue treatment. A relapse could land you in the hospital to have steroid infusions. Not a good time to end up in the hospital. You could also check with your neurologist as well. Stay home and practice good hand hygiene.

Stay safe

Comment

Working...
        X