Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drats dreaded sumer heat is heading in our direction and some humor!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drats dreaded sumer heat is heading in our direction and some humor!!!!!

Although I LOVE working in the yard and gardening (not too much due to vintage age and numerous surgeries). However, I love getting out there and planning to my hearts content. Till dh says" only buy what you can plant in a day". Drats lol Nothing makes me happier than coming home with a trunk just brimming full of plants, veggies and mulch especially since you have to wait in a line 10ft away and only go in HD so many at a time with your mask on (some young folk think they are immune bahahahahahaha). It gives me great joy but I get overheated so soon and have to sit and wait every 15 minutes to rest yikes.

here comes my rant!!!!! even this early it has become about 70 degrees by mid afternoon. Thus due to fatigue and heat only abt 3 hours does me in. Biggest fear my sweet hubby may go off and leave me stuck in the bathtub unable to get out without assistance due to heat and fatigue.

I did have an experience in the way back machine when I was about 30 and had no wrinkles and body looked waaaaaay better. in one of those pedestal tubs (came out of field where dad fed the horses and I painted the outside navy blue/he thought I was crazy till he saw it/yes ahead of my time).Relaxing leaning back and wow the faucet popped off and extreme hot water came out straight into my face. First thought OH NO the firemen are going see me naked!!!!!!! Like I couldn't put a towel on bahahahahaha

any ideas on how to stretch time or how to rest and get more done outside OR TELL me how to ACCEPT the fact I can't do what I once did. Pity party over. I've had my W(i)ne and you guys didn't eat all the cheese and crackers so I'm on to another project.

Are you using any cooling gear or just sucking it up?

I live in Austin and we have already seen temperatures in the 90s, but the 100s are just around the corner.

The time to order cooling gear is now. If you financially qualify, here's two resources where you get free cooling gear:

https://msfocus.org/Get-Help/MSF-Pro...ooling-Program

https://mymsaa.org/msaa-help/cooling-products/

If you don't qualify and still want cooling gear start your search here:

https://www.activemsers.org/tipstric...olingvest.html

Wishing you all the best.

Comment

Hi jk! I am a life long gardener too and whoa, my expectations had become lower each year.
      At first I was so frustrated, but over time I've learned a level of acceptance just like everything else I used to do and can't anymore. MS and age combined. ugh

This was going to be the spring that I was going to step waaaay back and have my gardening daughter help me - until this virus showed up. Guess I will just have to do the best I can. 1 hour in the garden is all I can do at a time with many rests. Still, it's in my blood and can't envision me NOT gardening. It is my happy place where all my worries fall away

It's still cool out our way, but I can relate to the heat getting to you! We'll have our time. Marco has some good suggestions on cooling equipment. One thing I do when it gets hot is to only work in the mornings and sometimes in the evenings and I always carry a thermos of cold water and drink lots.
      And wear a hat! I take the hose and spray myself down too.

I love your humor
      Happy gardening and stay as cool as you can
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi jk

Originally posted by jkforrest View Post
        OR TELL me how to ACCEPT the fact I can't do what I once did.
        This is something that each of us to come to terms with, in our own way and in our own time.

For many of us, it might take repeated bouts of severe fatigue, physical aches and pains, or even getting hurt, before we really accept and come to terms with the fact that we can't do certain things that we once did, in the exact same way.

So we modify and adjust, and adapt to new ways of doing the things that we enjoy.

It sounds like you are coming into this acceptance, especially by taking more rest breaks.

Keep doing what you love, but in different, safer ways, if you need to.

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

OR TELL me how to ACCEPT the fact I can't do what I once did.
          jk ~

I forgot to mention that accepting a situation does not necessarily mean that you like it!

To me, acceptance means that I stop the inner struggle of wanting something (that can't be changed) to be different than what it is.

But I don't have to be fond of it.
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Still not liking being forced into acceptance!!!!

KOKO thanks for the cooling info. I have a steele vest with the ice packs across back and two in front. They don't work after an hour. Guessing that should be a CLUE I should be done around then right? bahabaahahahhahahahabhha I also have ice packets that go into a small do hickey around my neck, and lastly a towel you wet and put wherever over neck head etc. I will ck out other suggestions.

Note to self: the other day when I made the McGuyger sling for hubby to help me mow, It put me down for two days. Hubby rubbed what I thought was Bio Freeze on back, both arm just above elbows and on right leg over knee. I thought he meant to "kill" me. My body was on fire way worse than capasin. Took two days to get over both!!!!lol

Well at least around here it's never a dull moment I may wish it was but after 34 yrs together not really and I can still surprise him. lol

Comment

Hello jk

KOKO thanks for the cooling info. I have a steele vest with the ice packs across back and two in front. They don't work after an hour. Guessing that should be a CLUE I should be done around then right? bahabaahahahhahahahabhha I also have ice packets that go into a small do hickey around my neck, and lastly a towel you wet and put wherever over neck head etc. I will ck out other suggestions.
              It was Marco that provided the cooling info - but you're welcome!

Hubby rubbed what I thought was Bio Freeze on back, both arm just above elbows and on right leg over knee. I thought he meant to "kill" me. My body was on fire way worse than capasin. Took two days to get over both!!!!lol.
              Yikes! Be careful, jk! I found this info about Biofreeze:

"Heat and exercise can cause too much of the medication's active ingredient to enter the body."

Heat and overuse can also damage your skin. If you feel pain when you apply the medication or notice blisters or a burn, get medical attention.

Easy does it with the Biofreeze!

Well at least around here it's never a dull moment. I may wish it was but after 34 yrs together not really and I can still surprise him. lol
              Never a dull moment!

Comment

Working...
              X