Regular Exercise ‘Strongly Recommended’ to Ease Fatigue in MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regular Exercise ‘Strongly Recommended’ to Ease Fatigue in MS

Physical exercise can ease fatigue in people with multiple sclerosis (MS) and potentially benefit them in many other ways, and should be part of rehabilitation programs for patients, a large review study suggests.

The study, “The impact of physical exercise on the fatigue symptoms in patients with multiple sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” was published in the journal BMC Neurology.

Fatigue is one of the most common symptoms of MS, affecting about four in every five people with the disease. While some medications help to alleviate fatigue, non-pharmacological interventions could be beneficial as well.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...meta-analysis/
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

So very true.

Through the years I have tried to promote the use of exercise, it can be so beneficial. Each one of us has different abilities/disabilities so exercise is not one size fits all. Exercise not only helps with fatigue but with pain, mobility, and spasticity.

When I was diagnosed my Neurologist told me the best thing I could do is walk. I have always tried to do some form of exercise and have an Elliptical, balance pad and weight machine.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
      Through the years I have tried to promote the use of exercise, it can be so beneficial.
      Yes, SNOOPY, you certainly have been one of our very best exercise promoters here at MS World! Thank you for that!

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
      Each one of us has different abilities/disabilities so exercise is not one size fits all. Exercise not only helps with fatigue but with pain, mobility, and spasticity.

When I was diagnosed my Neurologist told me the best thing I could do is walk. I have always tried to do some form of exercise and have an Elliptical, balance pad and weight machine.
      My abilities have changed over the years, but I continue to exercise, doing the exercises that I can. I receive multiple benefits from exercising.

PS. Happy Birthday to you SNOOPY!
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Been doing this for years

The downside of this time, is mine is usually done in a YMCA pool.

I am still doing Yoga.

No matter what I am doing, every time I go to BR I do as many squats as I can do. The next trip to the BR I do a wall squat. Hold a squat with your back against a wall for as long as possible.

I do side lying leg lifts a lot of several times a day. Usually will alternate that after a trip to restroom. Lie on floor (or bed) and do leg lifts. The next time to the restroom there will not be doing the leg lifts. But, then I do arm work (lifting soup cans.)

I also, roll a towel up lie it on the floor by the sink and put my toes on the towel. Not hold onto the sink if you can. Then I will put my heals on the towel. Not hold onto sink, if you can. This challenges your balance. You can try doing squats with the towel, if you can do the standing on it without much issue.

Take a broom and put it in your shoulders and lean to each side. Switch the side the actual broom part is on, because it will make a difference.

Make sure you are at thew very least moving your feet around to keep the blood moving.

Make sure that you are exercising your lungs, too. Take 10 deep breaths every trip to bathroom (or change of show, or chapter in. a book.) Hold them breaths, too, when you take a deep breath in, for as long as you can. Also, purse your lips like you are using a straw as you exhale.

AND, yes the general theme of my life is going to the bathroom. I drink plenty of water through out the day.
        That is all I can think of right, now.
        God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I know for me that is the case. Problem was when I was working, I couldn't exercise. I did get some in, walking 10 city blocks each way from train to office.

But when I had more problems and was working from home, no exercise. Once I stopped working, I could devote time and energy to exercise and overt time, the fatigue lessened.

I try to prioritize exercise in my day. Our abilities may change with time, but as KoKo pointed out, our exercise may be adaptable. And as kelm pointed out, we can improvise when need be.

Snoopy - good to see a post. Hope your recovery cs still going strong.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks for the reminder about the benefits of exercise. It's hard for me to motivate myself lately.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              Thanks for the reminder about the benefits of exercise. It's hard for me to motivate myself lately.
              I believe everyone goes through those times, I know I have at different points in my life and for different reasons. It's okay. I know you will get yourself back to exercise. Be kind to yourself.

KoKo
              My abilities have changed over the years, but I continue to exercise, doing the exercises that I can.
              Doing our best is all any of us can do. Abilities can change, mine have through the years. The important thing is to keep trying and find what works best for you. And, don't overdo.

PS. Happy Birthday to you SNOOPY!
              Thank you!

pennstater
              Snoopy - good to see a post. Hope your recovery cs still going strong.
              Thank you for asking! My recovery is going well. Surgeon said, I will be at 90 percent at 6 months and 100 percent at 1 year. So, I need patience and to continue my PT, Elliptical, and balance pad. The Elliptical: I am doing 1/4 mile but keep upping the resistance, I am at level 4.

kelm10, very good suggestions!
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                Physical exercise can ease fatigue in people with multiple sclerosis (MS) and potentially benefit them in many other ways, and should be part of rehabilitation programs for patients, a large review study suggests.

Hi KoKo!

"...potentially benefit them in many other ways..." Covers a lot of ground, as it should. Nice to hear the replies and routines others use or adapt for use as limitations necessitate.

I can bear witness to easing of fatigue. Although tired or even exhausted after strenuous activity, the ability to take the deepest breath three or four times, revives my body & mind within a very short period.

"use your health, even to the point of wearing it out. That is what it is for. Spend all you have before you die; and do not outlive yourself. -G.B. Shaw, Doctor's Dilemma, Pref.

Comment

Hi Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                  "...potentially benefit them in many other ways..." Covers a lot of ground, as it should.
                  Guess I could have copied and pasted this from the article:

The team also noted that, beyond fatigue, regular exercise could have other benefits. These include “increased strength, improved body status, reduced fatigue, improved mood, increased self-esteem, and a sense of well-being,” the researchers wrote.

“Furthermore, performing the physical exercise improves one’s independence and not only improves patients’ quality of life, but also affects patients’ balance through coordinating upper and lower extremities, and prevents cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and so on,” they added.

"use your health, even to the point of wearing it out. That is what it is for. Spend all you have before you die; and do not outlive yourself. -G.B. Shaw, Doctor's Dilemma, Pref.
                  No problem with that for me!

Comment

... improved mood, increased self-esteem, and a sense of well-being

KoKo,

There is no greater satisfaction than applying yourself to solve the never-ending problems MS gives us.

Example: Today I peeled a fresh orange with basically one hand!

Thought about it. And with great care and patience... all of the above were mine along with the juicy orange.

Comment

KoKo,

There is no greater satisfaction than applying yourself to solve the never-ending problems MS gives us.

Example: Today I peeled a fresh orange with basically one hand!

Thought about it. And with great care and patience... all of the above were mine along with the juicy orange.
                      Sweet success!!

PS. It helps if you roll the orange several times on the counter top to 'loosen' the peel, as best as you can.

Comment

Sweet success!!

PS. It helps if you roll the orange several times on the counter top to 'loosen' the peel, as best as you can.

Why didn't I remember this? Duuuh...

Comment

Why didn't I remember this? Duuuh...
                          Sometimes the peel is too 'tight' for even that to work, though.

For awhile I asked my sister to purchase only the softer, older oranges, so I could roll the orange peel.

Now, I ask her to buy only mandarins or clementines. Very easy to peel one-handed!

Comment

hooray hooray hooray

I was wandering thru and found I think the answer to my issue. I was not able to articulate what was going on with me. bahahahahaha Imagine that with MS and vintage age lol I just posted re pity party etc. only two moderaters responded. There are vast reasons folks did not choose to respond. In these posts regarding excercise I believe I found my problem.

Lack of self esteem and whatever the next one was that I can't even remember now (call that the 5 minute rule)-say something and 5 mins later I don't remember. Or go into a room and not remember why I'm there/yeah vintage here. I am only able to excerise in the pool cause I can't take heat over 70 degrees not stand over 5 minutes.

Please would a few of you review my pity party post and see if you may agree self esteem could be my issue and if yes how does one get over that? Thanks

Comment

open the orange

small device happen to be orange in color.
                              you put your finger or thumb thru cause it's round and slightly pull around orange and it scores the peel and then you can enter into the peel and open. Don't remember where I bought be a really cheap item using two in one pkg.

Comment

Working...
                              X