• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 04-02-2020

5 checked in this last week.

1 re-set goals.
    2 met goals
    2 met partial goals.

We are all having to re-adjust. Most of you are managing. Congratulations!

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I did a little. Better than the last few weeks, probably. But, naaah. I didn't accomplish more than a paltry partial goals.

New goals:
    PT 2 or 3 times a week at home
    Other exercise (Chair yoga with YouTube, two-minute walks, or something else). 2 or 3 times a week.
    I'm not going to set any steps goals this week because I don't expect to do well, and, for now, I need to experience success at meeting a simpler goal.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I knew you could do it, Mamabug!

I had another good week.

Spent 3 days cleaning, throwing out and organizing storage closet and clothes closet.
      1 afternoon outside harvesting wild stinging nettles (with gloves!) Steam them and they taste like spinach. Free food!
      1 day cleaning out fridge while low on food. DH then went shopping for me, then sorting and reorganizing.

All in all, I realized it was a workout with stretching, bending, squatting and lifting and some walking.

Think I did too much as I'm beat!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Nice recovery work Mamabug.
        I sleep a lot better when I'm beat Seasha, great job.

Still no Jiu Jitsu and I didn't do any Yoga but I did get 2 three mile runs in. I'm averaging 15k steps this week and got over 22k in on Sunday. Still working and getting my calthestenics in y'all be safe and keep it going.
        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Made Goals

Hi everyone!

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
          I did a little. Better than the last few weeks, probably. But, naaah. I didn't accomplish more than a paltry partial goals.
          Better is an accomplishment, Mamabug!

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

I had another good week.

Spent 3 days cleaning, throwing out and organizing storage closet and clothes closet.
          1 afternoon outside harvesting wild stinging nettles (with gloves!) Steam them and they taste like spinach. Free food!
          1 day cleaning out fridge while low on food. DH then went shopping for me, then sorting and reorganizing.

All in all, I realized it was a workout with stretching, bending, squatting and lifting and some walking.

Think I did too much as I'm beat!
          Fantastic workout Seasha! Nice variety of exercises!

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
          Still no Jiu Jitsu and I didn't do any Yoga but I did get 2 three mile runs in. I'm averaging 15k steps this week and got over 22k in on Sunday. Still working and getting my calthestenics in y'all be safe and keep it going.
          Jiu Jitsu still misses you terribly, Boudreaux, but is absolutely overjoyed that you are working out with steps and calisthenics!

My exercising went well, and I was able to accomplish goals.

Walking sure takes a whole lot of effort as the day goes on, and yet I can't help but be grateful that I can still walk at all. I'll take difficult walking over no walking, anytime.

Will keep the same goals, for now.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk/Stand with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, and Lower Back Exercises

Good Health and Peaceful Spirit to all!
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi everyone! Each of you, on your own, have continued to find a way. Congratulations! I'm doing the same but the process is really rudimentary.

I make my bed in the morning and then throw everything I can possibly use for exercising on it. Bands, balls, roller, dumbbells.

I bring in a straight back chair and position it so that getting into that bed would be harder still.

Then I do the one thing that is still consistent, a stretching routine. This removes a pole & wrist weights from atop the bed.

The process continues during the day. Hey, I've got no social life these days anyhow.

If this all works as I hope, by bedtime I will have accomplished some exercise. Hoping for two 30 minuet sessions?!

If it doesn't work, I'll count cleaning the stuff off the bed as exercise.

Thats the best I've got. Strange days have found us.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
              I make my bed in the morning and then throw everything I can possibly use for exercising on it. Bands, balls, roller, dumbbells.

I bring in a straight back chair and position it so that getting into that bed would be harder still.

Then I do the one thing that is still consistent, a stretching routine. This removes a pole & wrist weights from atop the bed.

The process continues during the day. Hey, I've got no social life these days anyhow.

If this all works as I hope, by bedtime I will have accomplished some exercise. Hoping for two 30 minuet sessions?!

If it doesn't work, I'll count cleaning the stuff off the bed as exercise.

Jer ~

The 'best you've got' looks like a terrific strategy and exercise plan to me!

I have read over and over again, over the years and to the present, that consistent stretching is one of the most important exercises for progressive MS.
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Sounds good enough, Jer! And kudo's for your creative way of working it out.

Yesterday I was so exhausted that cooking dinner was the extent of my exercise for the day!
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                  Jiu Jitsu still misses you terribly, Boudreaux, but is absolutely overjoyed that you are working out with steps and calisthenics!
                  Thanks Koko. Glad you are managing to make your goals during these times of uncertainty.

Comment

Then I do the one thing that is still consistent, a stretching routine.
                    consistency is the key for stretching. I wish I could say the same....Keep it going Jer.

Comment

Thanks Koko. Glad you are managing to make your goals during these times of uncertainty.
                      Thank you for encouragement and support, Boudreaux.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                        I have read over and over again, over the years and to the present, that consistent stretching is one of the most important exercises for progressive MS.

I've heard as much but appreciate the reminder KoKo!

Isn't it amazing that the body tells us what is needed if we only pay attention to it?

Comment

consistency is the key for stretching. I wish I could say the same....Keep it going Jer.

Thanks Boudreaux!

Being retired gives me the time but our old friend discipline has found a way into my very being.

Despite our failings now and again... we keep at it.

Comment

Working...
                          X