How to deal with exhaustion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to deal with exhaustion?

As my username implies, I currently live in Japan. My wife is Japanese, and I am here for her, and to support our family.

Japanese work culture is crazy and exhausting, and people here just deal with it. I tried my best but, after 3 years with my company, they changed my schedule so harshly that I was working like 12 hour shifts sometimes and I became exhausted.

After 6 months of extreme exhaustion (I felt I was sleepwalking most of the time), I was fired, because I need lots of energy for my job.

After just a week of recuperation, I felt I had woken up and was able to think and be happy again. I still need a lot more sleep and relaxation before I'll be 100% but it's a start.

I have a job lined up and everything seemed to be going well. Then, my wife had our second baby. Needless to say, my wife is exhausted, but she just deals with it, as that's the culture here.

I, however, am finding it very difficult to get enough sleep, and I haven't even started work yet.

I'm trying to help out as much as I can, but I am worried. When I am exhausted, all my MS symptoms are exacerbated; memory loss, fatigue, I twitch more, have trouble holding things, etc.

What can I do to deal with my exhaustion and continue to support my family? What do you do? Any tips are helpful. Thank you.

Originally posted by SleepyInJapan View Post
    I, however, am finding it very difficult to get enough sleep, and I haven't even started work yet.

I'm trying to help out as much as I can, but I am worried. When I am exhausted, all my MS symptoms are exacerbated; memory loss, fatigue, I twitch more, have trouble holding things, etc.

What can I do to deal with my exhaustion and continue to support my family? What do you do? Any tips are helpful. Thank you.
    Hello SleepyInJapan

I feel for you, Sleepy, trying to continue working with MS symptoms, with a family to support.

Not knowing Japan's employee rights, rules, etc, it is difficult to give good suggestions.

Here in the US, some working persons with MS ask for work accommodations.

Some are able to get a light duty position, if available.

Some use the FMLA to take periodic days off for severe fatigue or other symptoms.

Some are able to work with their employer to adjust their hours, or work from home.

And some persons apply for disability retirement.

Does Japan have something like our ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)?

Or an MS Society that could help with providing resources?

That's all I can think of, for now.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
    X